What balance of cardio and weight lifting do I need?

• Hey all,
    Please please help me! I am very overweight (as my avatar shows). I want to build muscle. I do cardio (almost everyday) and calorie counting to cause a calorie deficiency for weight loss. Do need a lot of cardio to factor into building muscle with a weight lifting program?

I was going to do Slim in 6 and then a 90 day program which I would do daily. I thought letting muscle rest builds better muscle??? I just want to build a tone and firm body under the flab as it melts away. BTW, any FUN workouts you can recommend would be appreacited. TIA
  • Well, with a goal of maintaining or building muscle while losing fat, I do heavy weight trying 2-3x per week and almost no cardio. So far, so good... But I do have to be patient with the scale.

The very most important thing is that you find exercise that you love and then do it. If you lift, lift heavy with full-body compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press) and skip the isolation exercises (bicep curls, etc.). Also skip the machines and use the free weights instead. Definitely keep at least one rest day in between workouts for muscle recovery - that's when the muscle is built.

Look up Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women for programming.
  • Blueberries~
    Thanks so much for your response! I have ordered that book from the library. There is a waiting list. It also prompted me to order a couple more. Looked up the reviews on Amazon too! Now that you said the title of the book, I see there is a forum for it here too. Off to do some reading... Thanks again!