Alternatives for Phase 1 "talk"

You're on Page 7 of 34
Go to
  • Hello everyone - I'm new here, but my husband and I have both been on the IdealProtein plan for almost 2 months now. He's lost 26 pounds and I have lost 20.2. YES!

Anyway - my reason for posting here is to let you know that we use the IP ready-made vanilla drink as a creamer for our hot tea at night, and I think I found a good substitute. It's called Soy Slender, and it's made by WestSoy. We use the Vanilla flavor. An 8oz serving has 70 calories, 4g total carbs, 3g dietary fiber, less than 1g sugars and 6g of protein.

Since we don't drink this as a meal, I'm not concerned about the protein difference, and the other counts (calories & carbs) are less than the IP ready-made Vanilla drink! We put a shot of it and several pumps of sugar-free Torani syrup into our hot tea, and it tastes almost like a hot drink you'd get at a fancy coffee shop!

Thanks for the threads, everyone - this is a great, supportive group!
  • Quote: If anyone is interested in the ProtiDiet lemon dream bars I have 2 boxes that I dont care for. I'd be happy to ship them somewhere, like pat I'd prefer not to waste them as someone may like them. We all have different tastes.
    How much are you selling them for and do you see wheat in the
    I n g r e d i e n t s??? Do they taste like the IP Lemon poppy seed bar, I really like those and have not found a alternative. Thank you!!
  • Awesome! I've missed my creamer - I'll look this up. Thank you!

Barb

Quote: Hello everyone - I'm new here, but my husband and I have both been on the IdealProtein plan for almost 2 months now. He's lost 26 pounds and I have lost 20.2. YES!

Anyway - my reason for posting here is to let you know that we use the IP ready-made vanilla drink as a creamer for our hot tea at night, and I think I found a good substitute. It's called Soy Slender, and it's made by WestSoy. We use the Vanilla flavor. An 8oz serving has 70 calories, 4g total carbs, 3g dietary fiber, less than 1g sugars and 6g of protein.

Since we don't drink this as a meal, I'm not concerned about the protein difference, and the other counts (calories & carbs) are less than the IP ready-made Vanilla drink! We put a shot of it and several pumps of sugar-free Torani syrup into our hot tea, and it tastes almost like a hot drink you'd get at a fancy coffee shop!

Thanks for the threads, everyone - this is a great, supportive group!
  • Me too!
  • Not to jump in awkwardly as the newbie but here goes
    My cousin, who lost 40 lbs and made her goal weight in 3 months doing IP, had her coach explain the difference between IP and cheaper alternatives.
    She was told the reason IP is more expensive is because they use plant protein (which your bodily more easily digests so that it can go to fat storage digestion more quickly). Everyone else (cheaper) is using animal protein (since it's cheaper) but your body takes longer so you don't burn the fat off as quickly.
    Has anyone else heard that? It makes sense to me and her results sure speak for themselves. I mean, if I'm going to do this, I want to do it right and efficiently. But if I could also do it in a more affordable way...
  • Quote: How much are you selling them for and do you see wheat in the
    I n g r e d i e n t s??? Do they taste like the IP Lemon poppy seed bar, I really like those and have not found a alternative. Thank you!!
    They're free, but I'm sorry someone already spoke for them. They aren't like the IP ones, they are thin and don't have much flavor to them IMO, but everyone has different tastes. Lol!
  • Hey halfagain LOVE your avatar pic...way cool!
    Jake
  • :-) thanks Jake! That's Missy at the beach.

Barb
  • Quote: Not to jump in awkwardly as the newbie but here goes
    My cousin, who lost 40 lbs and made her goal weight in 3 months doing IP, had her coach explain the difference between IP and cheaper alternatives.
    She was told the reason IP is more expensive is because they use plant protein (which your bodily more easily digests so that it can go to fat storage digestion more quickly). Everyone else (cheaper) is using animal protein (since it's cheaper) but your body takes longer so you don't burn the fat off as quickly.
    Has anyone else heard that? It makes sense to me and her results sure speak for themselves. I mean, if I'm going to do this, I want to do it right and efficiently. But if I could also do it in a more affordable way...
    Soy is Soy and is a plant and Whey is a byproduct of milk, so I am not convinced that you have been given totally accurate info. I do know that you want the Isolate when you purchase protein, as it is the purer form. I have been on the boards for over a year and people lose the same as when they are on IP and are pleased with the results. So, I don't really have an answer for you, just some points. Good Luck
  • Quote: I have just received my first order from Nashua and noticed they've sent me the original version of the cocomint cream shake & pudding even though I asked for the aspartame free one.There's no way I can afford to buy anything else at the moment and I'm wondering how screwed I am with the weight loss if I take it?Am I just not going to lose anything?First time with alternatives too,am a bit stressed out to begin with.
    I don't think it's really going to 'hurt' you, but just watch and see if you get cravings after you eat it. Some dieters report that they do. Also aspartame isn't very healthy for you, so when it's time to reorder make sure that you keep this in mind.
  • Quote: Oh man! BLEHHH!!(COUGH HACK WEEZE COUGH GAG) I hear that this "simply bar" is great..so while i was down island in a city area, i went to the local Thrifty Foods and low and behold i found a Simply Bar...Hearing that it was good... i picked one up to try out...I chose the chocolate raspberry...I got it into the car, and ravenously was ready to devour the whole thing..I open the package( sniff sniff) and take my first bite...and BLEHHHH!! It was horrible..How do you guys stand the taste of soy???? I can taste the soy in it like crazy...its got a horrible taste...the cocoa and the raspberry flavours couldnt even mask it... Yuck! I will never buy these again..especially not for the amount of carbs in it...

I think i have resolved that i just cant do bars of any kind...they just never taste right...
    I love The Simply Bar's lemon coconut flavor. In fact, I was at my local Bulk Barn this afternoon and picked up a couple of them. Enjoyed one with my tea when I got home. And the clerk checked to see whether they'd order in a box for me....the answas was yes - at a cost that is slightly less than what I've paid elsewhere for a box - so I go pick up the box on Friday. Just goes to show that we all have different tastes. Not only do I like the lemon coconut version, but it's the lowest carb option of the Simply bars at just 6 net carbs/bar. A healthy, tasty and unrestricted bar.
  • Quote: Not to jump in awkwardly as the newbie but here goes
    They do tell you this but I started on IP and then switched to alternatives and lost at the same rate.
    In fact a good number of alternative proucts are the same as IP in different packaging.
  • Quote: Hello everyone - I'm new here, but my husband and I have both been on the IdealProtein plan for almost 2 months now. He's lost 26 pounds and I have lost 20.2. YES!

I used soy for a short while but found Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk and buy it in vanilla, chocolate, and coconut almond. The vanilla stats: 1 cup has 40 calories, 2 carbs, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein, 3.5 g fat.

Quote: Not to jump in awkwardly as the newbie but here goes
    Don't think this is quite accurate, as someone pointed out. I was on IP (using 100% IP products) in 2010, gained it back when I moved and was busy trying all the new restaurants...and then restarted in 2012 using 90% alternative products. I lost an identical amount during the first 2 month period. That's as long as I was on IP in 2010, so can only comment on that time length with credibility. Re cost, I spend on average $11 per box of 7 packets. With the savings, I buy a lot of extras that make this program easier (many different Torani and Da Vinci flavorings, many flavored liquid stevias, miracle noodles, a variety of special protein powders that have a better nutritional profile than IP, new Omron body composition scale, etc.)
    IP products are great but still prefer the value and variety of the alternatives. Plus, importantly, some of the alternatives are not restricted but the IP "equivalent" is. For example, this morning I had a chocolate chip sweet roll with extra cinnamon splenda for breakfast and it had only 5 carbs. Sweet! (Not sure if IP has a sweet breakfast roll, but do know the IP pancake is restricted and the Proti-Diet version isn't.)
  • Can someone in the know give me clarification on this?
    When choosing an alternative product:

1) you should go by net carbs, meaning I should subtract fiber and sugar alcohol from the total carbs?

2) the serving should be under 9 net carbs to be considered unrestricted?

3) are there a minimum and maximum amounts of protein and carbs I should be consuming per day?

I have tried Muscle Milk Lite from Walmart and yesterday i bought Premier Protien RTDs at Costco. I think those are considered ok with IP.
    Thanks for your input. Although I feel more comfortable staying with IP products, financially I just can't do it anymore.
  • I have been doing A LOT of label matching and many
    Alternate products are the exact ingredients as IP, so close, I think they are all the same manufacture just a different company label. Some of the advice might be correct, but if you really watch your labels, as I have found, many items are an exact match. I have been weeding out the IP products with alternatives and still have lost 3.5lbs or more a week. I actually went to the clinic and asked for the empty product boxes so I could compare the ingredients, then I found this website that sells IP products. Each item has a list of ingredients, so I use this site to compare the alternate ingredients. It is a lot of work, but financially so worth it!! Happy label reading!!!