Intuitive Eating #14

You're on Page 9 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: Becky
    I didn't have a weight problem growing up either. Not until I went to college and my friends and I went to have shakes or cold drinks every night. And I had never eaten 3 meals a day until then either which didn't help me either. I was very active too, but I was eating way to many starchy carb (of course I didn't no a carb from a calorie back then, didn't need to). I was tired constantly and I'm sure that was from all the carbs as well.

Well, weight is going down right now mainly becaue I am sick with a cold. The baby came here with a cold and guess who got it with him? It is like a head cold. Misery city. Oh well, I keep telling myself that "this too will pass".

My mother ate very carby... candy, cake and cookies for years. I don't know when it caught up to her. When she started dieting, she took diet pills. When I gained weight, we would diet taking diet pills and then the day we had to go to the doctor, we would go get a big container of Church's chicken and pig out. LOL But we lost weight. That started the roller coaster of yo-yo dieting for me. I actually got down to 150 lbs twice, but of course I hadn't learned anything and gained it back when the diet was over.

I hope I can do better with IE.
    Trish, I hope you feel better soon. How miserable to be suffering from a cold during all this heat we're having this summer.

The last time I successfully lost weight, I was using Herbalife. It was around 1994, when they had the little "energy tablets" to take, and, boy, did those things work! I had more energy than I knew what to do with, and felt like I was zipping around doing something all the time. I could barely sit still. I was walking for at least one full hour every day, and would sometimes walk for two hours. Weight was just falling off me. I took off 50 pounds, and was at a "normal" weight.

Unfortunately, my thyroid chose to go on the fritz right after that, and I absolutely ZOOMED back up the scale before I received a hypothyroid diagnosis. Regained 40 pounds in the blink of any eye, and have been steadily packing more on since.

To this day I wonder if those Herbalife tablets had anything to do with my thyroid going on the fritz. I'll probably never know.

I'm glad you're experiencing some success with your weight loss.
  • Quote:
    I have a strange thing going on lately, and I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and my tastebuds are changing, or if the food is so much more inferior, or what, but I find many, many times now that I don't enjoy at all whatever I'm eating.
    This happens to me, too, quite often and then I realize that I am not letting myself get really hungry.
  • Quote: I've sort of given up on a lot of the IE newsletters that I used to get. They've all gotten so commercial.....wanting you to buy things. I didn't take the test. I still have trouble thinking good food, bad food each day. Like today. I was really hungry last night for a smoked sausage on bread but ate a stuffed pepper instead. The pepper was ok but not what I really wanted. I finally ate what I wanted today........so good. I've read that there is something about being satisfied with your choice that makes you eat less.
    I did that today Carolr. I really wanted a buckwheat pancake when I got up, but decided that I should have protein instead so I ate scrambled eggs with veggies. Not what I wanted but it was okay. I wonder if we will ever get completely free of that bad food good food mentality.
  • Buckwheat pancake sounds gooooooooooood!!!!
  • Hi, ladies...In our house, I'm usually the one that "talks up" a diet, and gets my dh willing to follow it too. We usually fall off the wagon before the day is done.

We've done this for the last several years.

I think I shot myself in the foot though. I've been "talking up" dieting again the past few days, and dh has jumped right in. He's not eating any ice cream (his favorite), no soda, no junk food at all.

The problem is, I only talk up the dieting when I'm especially discouraged and depressed about my own weight. I start off the day with good intentions, but can't take the deprivation and trapped feelings, and blow it by eating some "junk".

This morning I went to the store to pick up a few things. A couple of the items were "junk", but I don't want to ruin dh's efforts because he doesn't want to eat any junk right now, so I feel like I have to HIDE the junk items I bought.

Hiding food is not good. Some of the books even say that we should always eat whatever our choice of food is out in the open, and not feel like we're "bad" for whatever we've happened to choose.

This is also part of the bad food/good food mentality we're supposed to be getting over.

Has anybody experienced anything similar in their own household?
  • My dh loves junk and will eat ice cream for breakfast. He works very hard on the farm and so is not extremely overweight......about 30lb. He can lose that in 2 mo. if he sets his mind to it and he has done that. He once gave up coke for 2 yr. just to prove to my mom he wasn't addicted. ha! He eats lots of "good food", too.
  • I got my first red tomato!! Yum!!!
  • Quote: My dh loves junk and will eat ice cream for breakfast. He works very hard on the farm and so is not extremely overweight......about 30lb. He can lose that in 2 mo. if he sets his mind to it and he has done that. He once gave up coke for 2 yr. just to prove to my mom he wasn't addicted. ha! He eats lots of "good food", too.
    He sounds like my dh, Carol. My dh would eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if he could.

My dh is retired, so he doesn't get a lot of exercise, but all he has to do is cut out the soda, and cut back on his portions, and he loses weight fast. (Grrr, ha ha!)

Quote: I got my first red tomato!! Yum!!!
    I love it when the tomatoes start coming in. We had our first local tomatoes yesterday, and they were DEE-LISH. It's going to be awhile before the ones in our garden are ready. They are still very tiny.

Well, ladies, I had a real ambitious plan to take off ten pounds before my daughter gets here later this month. It was just an arbitrary---and completely UNREALISTIC goal.

It's just a little over two weeks now until she gets here, and not only have I not lost, but I've actually gone up a pound or two due to eating Doritos the last few days. Oh, and peanut M & M's. Not helpful.

I got up thinking I'd low carb today, then ate Pop Tarts for breakfast.

Have I not learned yet that diets do NOT work, especially for me? All they do is make me want to eat junk food.
  • Becky, if you look at faith based support groups there is a thread by a girl named Kelly....I think it is called the power of one thought. She has a book you can read for free online called Flowers Over the Wall. It is IE based.
  • I'll see if this link works. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/37300.
  • Hi all. Man it is so hot today!! Have been doing good with my eating.. Hubby and I got to do for a lunch date today, we went to Red Lobster, it's over an hour's drive from our house, I had the boiled crab, shrimp, wildrice, 1 biscuit, and salad. No dessert. Will eat light for supper, but we did have a really nice time.
  • CC that sounds so good. We're about an hour away from Red Lobster, too. I'm a little disappointed that they grill all their lobster now instead of steaming it.
  • My hubby had the lobster. I like lobster but am not crazy about it. His lobster was also grilled. We don't eat there often, I think that was our 3rd time there in about as many years. We had been to the one in Biloxi but Hurricane Katrina wiped that one off the map. For my birthday on the 22nd of this month we are going to Baton Rouge (about 2.5 hours from the house) at Texas de Brazil.
  • Texas Roadhouse is my favorite! Have you heard of it?
  • Quote: Texas Roadhouse is my favorite! Have you heard of it?
    Texas Roadhouse is our favorite, too! DH get a steak every time, but there are so many things on their menu that I like. Right now I am really into their roast chicken. I don't know what they marinate it in, but it sure is tasty! I also like the Chicken Critters, Ribs, and Pulled Pork, although those choices aren't actually healthy.

Carol