Big step for me today.

• Today I did something TOTALLY out of character for me … but also GOOD for me.

I have an all-day meeting tomorrow and got an e-mail saying a caterer would be providing 'bagged lunches' and asking me to choose from a list of sandwich options. I'm trying to limit starch and really didn't want a sandwich. I was about to choose the 'most lean' sandwich on the list and figured I could pitch most of the bread but, you know, that's not what I really wanted to do. Then I debated just saying "no thanks" and bringing my own lunch, but I didn't want to call THAT much attention to myself and start fielding questions I didn't want to answer … nothing like announcing you're on a diet and having your coworkers start monitoring your food (even if they don't say anything).

SO … I contacted the organizer and asked if salad was an option. She said she'd find out and sure enough, getting a grilled chicken salad instead of a sandwich was fine. So she sent an e-mail stating that and guess what? Three of the eight people who will be at that meeting chose the salad!!

Most of you are probably saying "yeah, that's normal" but honestly, this is a big deal for me. In the past, I would have kept my mouth shut. I mean who was I, the fat girl who obviously ate plenty, to be complaining about the food choices?!?! But I did it and you know what? … it was no big deal
  • great plan, steph! i think it Is a big deal. =) good job.
  • I think it's a huge deal! You really thought through all the scenios - thumbs up for you
    Enjoy your chicken salad (one of my fav lunch's btw)

hint - bring your own dressing. If people ask just say you are really picky about dressing so you thought you would bring yours from home.

Dana
  • Steph - Good for you! Planning ahead is always the best route to take!
  • great plan!!! it never hurts to ask!
  • Steph,

You are the captain of your own destiny. Way to go!
  • It's little changes like that .. that will make a huge difference in your waist line !

Good for you !

• It is a big deal!!! Good for you! I too would have never said anything..and just dealt with it. Probably just went off plan for the day. We need to start making these choices..and speaking up. Good for you!

• GOOD FOR YOU!!!! It is steps like that that will help you lose weight! I'm proud that you spoke up for what you wanted.