Seeking advice on my ST routine

• Hi all of you lifting gurus who are wiser than I on such things...

Would love to run my current ST routine by you for feedback.

Goals: Ideally to build muscle, at minimum to maintain (currently on reduced calories right now)

Equipment: Paltry set of dumbbells that unfortunately only go up to 15 kgs/33 lbs (strength training really isn't a thing here in India!), resistance bands, stability ball, yoga mat.

Schedule: Mon: Run Tues: ST Wed: Run Thurs: Yoga/ST Fri: Run Sat: ST/elliptical/rest Sun: rest (Usually get in specific ST routine 2-3 x a week)

Warmup: 5 minutes increasing intensity elliptical or other aerobic routine, stretching

Deadlifts 3x12-15
    Lateral flys 3x15
    Plank/dolphin plank/One-legged plank on each side/stability ball pike-ups 3 x 1- 1.5 minutes
    Lunges: 2x15 walking lunges, 1x15 stationary, rotating, or another variety
    Bent-over dumbbell row: 3x15
    Jumprope (for calves): 3 x 1 minute, 75 rotations per minute
    Pushups (full): 25
    Goblet squat or other variety: 3x12-15

Other: Various PT stuff, including this hip strengthening routine.

Cooldown: Stretching

Thanks everyone for your help!
  • I am not the one to give advice about what routines should look like, but do you have the book New Rules of Lifting for Women? You can buy it on-line if you can't find it where you live.
  • I would love to buy the book, but I haven't because of lack of access to the proper equipment right now (barbell/weight plates, cable machine, etc). Are modifications possible for all exercises? Is it still worth purchasing the book if I have to modify that significantly?
  • I did new rules and I liked it, and yes you can modify. If you go to JPfitness there is a forum for the book and I'm sure members there could give you advice on how to modify.

I'm doing another program right now though that I like even better than new rules. It's called the Venus Index, it's available online and it's around $50 I think. It's meant to be done at the gym or at home. I really really like this one a lot.
  • Ncuneo...is Venus Index easier to follow? Is it just manuals or manuals with DVD's and what kind of equipment do you need at home to follow the program?
  • Super easy to follow. It's a 12 week program (I'm stretching it out because I only ST 2xs a week) and they lay out each day verbatum. In addition to that there is a book with demostrations of each exercise. There is also a booklet that comes with it on nutrition, that I didn't find as helpful. You pay and then download PDFs of all the info.

So far I've only needed hand weights, a stability ball and a weight bench. I only need the weight bench for step ups and I think there were some Romanian lunges or something where my foot was elevated and I lunged. The people who do it are super accessible so you could probably email them for suggestions to substitute anything you needed to. They also give you 30 days access to a forum that you could get info from too. I really like it, and I actually feel like I'm getting a much better work out then I was with New Rules.