A bra question

• I have a pretty formidable chest (usually about an F depending on brand) and need to stay in quality bras. This latest few pounds seems to have all come off my underbust size and I suddenly find all my bras giant. What I often do is to buy a maternity or nursing bra because they have more hooks at the back for changes of size - my trusty old (now a rag!) Maternelle has about 8 over a size range of over 2 inches. I really want my wires back, though, and the wired maternity doesn't seem to have this size range.

What I am wondering is if I buy a smaller sized bra and a bra extender will I still get a good fit? My actual boobs don't seem to go down no matter what, so if I were to get a 34FF (up a cup size to account for the smaller band size) and a bra extender (currently measure 35) then just remove the extender as I get closer to the real 34, then have probably 3 settings to tighten up the 34 will that fit properly? Would be interested to hear from anyone who has done it. Alternative is probably to stay in a 38 till I get small enough for a 34 cos I don't have the money for intermediate bras, cheap ones are worse than useless for me, so comparing to that rather than comparing to a fantastically fitted well-constructed bra in each size.

Sadly I usually have to mail order my bras so that's a total pain to get one that fits and not spend £10 in postage for things I end up never being able to wear, but that's a whole other story!
  • I have used a bra extender in the past, but it slews the straps so that they aren't in a straight line from front to back, then you spend the whole day pulling your straps up. If you use the extender, buy the little doodad that pulls your straps together in the back (sort of turns it into a racer-back) and save yourself some trouble. Good luck!
  • Now I'm not sure they actually go up to an F, but Primark do some really nice bras for bigger boobs. I have a DD and I love them. Cheap as chips as well
  • Most cheap bras in larger size are about as useful as just tying a rope around your middle and hoping for the best, been burned that way before. It's so wearing having to mail order everything to try it on.

Strap thing is not an issue, I always spend the day pulling up my straps anyway. I don't know how wide they expect you to be in the body for larger sizes, it's like they get a C cup and scale it up all over to make it an F so that the gap between cups is about an inch and a half and the straps pull up 6 inches out from each ear. I bought the racer back thing and I can't get it in the right place because of where the straps fasten over, it's either too high or too low every time! I hate bras. Can't wait to be goal size and buy another custom fitted corset.
  • Have you tried the Lane Bryant bras? I'm not sure if they go down to a 34, but they do have weird sizes and they are the most comfortable bras I've ever had. Make sure to get the "full coverage" ones - they have them with or without wires.
  • Quote: Have you tried the Lane Bryant bras? I'm not sure if they go down to a 34, but they do have weird sizes and they are the most comfortable bras I've ever had. Make sure to get the "full coverage" ones - they have them with or without wires.

Yeah! I love my two I got from Lane Bryant, EXCEPT I got the plunge style. They hold the girls up off the belly and push them together. Way too together, you know what I mean? And don't bend over, or you'll get that odd 4-boobed look, which is so attractive (as well as embarrassing to constantly have to adjust yourself. . .)

Sorry had to threadjack.

Rose, the best fitting bra I ever had came from a store in my town called "Forms Boutique" where they only sell undies and bras, foundation garments. Do you have such places where you live? They are NOT cheap but they are meticulously fitted and well made, at that time I was a 42F or FF (it was so large it fit over my head from ear to ear) but it fit like a dream.
  • I think that your extender idea would work, especially since it doesn't sound like you will need to wear it at full extension. I certainly wouldn't wear a 38 if you are so close to a 34. I am a 36HH, and I just had to spend the money on bras I can't "afford", because you are right, cheap bras are useless. My ill-fitting bras became my hang-out-at-home bras.
  • My sister is a 38G so she has the same problems. She uses barenecessities.com and has had good luck with both bras and sales. She said to at least go into a store so they can fit you properly first.
    Hope it helps
  • I have used an extender before and not ahd any trouble. I wouldn't make a constant habit out of it, but it sounds like it will be a temporary thing while you shed pounds. Should work fine!
  • There is nothing better than getting fitted. I had been wearing anything that fit off the rack for years, and when I got fitted and they told me I was 34FF, I almost laughed them away. They told me 70% of women wear the wrong size bra and likely need larger cup/smaller band. You should go in and try several to get a feel. Be honest with the saleswomen about your expected weight loss and the size extender-most specialty stores carry them and they'd most likely be able to let you try one with the 34 in-store.
  • I agree with everyone else, try and get fitted by a speciality shop. I thought I was a 34D, winds up I was a 32F or 32DDD. I'm so much happier now that my bras fit. My favorite brands, Wacoal, Rose Faia, and Natori. Not cheap but so worth it.