Doin' it the Old Fashioned Way #14!!!!

You're on Page 2 of 14
Go to
  • Good Morning Everyone!

Kina~~ I love your pic, you are so pretty!!!!!!!
    We havent done too much packing yet but tommorow we are having a moving sale and getting rid of alot of things. Bruce will be going to Calgary without me, Ill be staying behind for awhile hopefully this house will sell and we wont be apart too long.

Alison~~ Good to hear that you are still working on your book. A friend of mine was doing that a few years back, I was her proofreader. I really enjoyed what she was writing. But then her computer died and everything was lost (she did not back things up on discs) and since then she has not got back into writing again. Want to post a little bit for us to read???

Amy~~ Glad to hear that you are feeling better, how is your Christmas shopping coming along? I have not done any, just not in the mood I guess. Too much on my mnd with the move and all.
    Want to do mine for me?

Nola~~ Do you believe in the last 2 weeks I have had 3 job offers in Edmonton??? But Bruce accepted the job in Calgary so that is where we are headed. I am sure ill be able to find employment in my field there. Calgary is such a big city , when I look at the map it can be quite overwhelming and I must say intimidating also. You think being a born and raised Chicago girl that it would not bother me.

Holly~~ You are doing a wonderful job maintaining your weightloss! You should be very proud of your self. ! How is your new pt job going?

Well, I need to get busy here, so much to do today. Still have to go shopping for my little grandsons birthday present. He will be 2 on December 1st. He was on the phone the other day and he said "I love you Grandma" well it was more like " I wub U mamaw" But I knew what he meant and it did my heart good !!!

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!

Nancy
  • Sunday Already!
    Wow... the weekend goes too fast

My computer died last week so I have been using hubby's computer in between his netsurfing and gaming sessions.... can't wait until he fixes it tonight..... then I can get back to posting and lurking on this site!

Good day at WW yesterday.... down another .8 of a kilo or about 1.5 pounds. Seems that I plateau and lose.... but it is all good!

Went out on the motorbikes yesterday too which was good then onto a bbq at a friends house. Today we are having lunch with a couple we met through friends, she grew up in Vancouver and then moved to England where she met her hubby, so she has a very funny english/irish/canadian/aussie accent! Her hubby is English but they have been living in Aus for about 5 years. She misses Canada and last time we got together, our accents came out really strong! Should be a good afternoon.

I am feeling very in control of my eating lately. Even yesterday when we stopped for a coffee while on the bikes, I had my water, and everyone else had their cake or treat and I was not the least bit bothered by this. Even at the bbq I don't feel like I have to eat the everything that is put out in front of me. Very powerful feeling!!

Snowey - you will love Calgary! So close to the mountains! They have a crap hockey team tho (this coming from a long time die hard Oilers fan since they first came into the NHL when she was 7!)

Holly - I agree with Snowey.... you are such an inspiration. Keep sending us those motivational posts of yours!

Kina - congrats on the family weightloss comp. You were a winner by participating..... winning the bank would be a bonus, but you are still a huge winner!

Well... I best get something done today. I am enjoying a lazy day before the hectic week starts up again *sighs*

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Nola.
  • Hi everyone,
    Well, I DID feel well enough to get out of the house for a while-we went and saw Harry Potter 2, and went to Applebees, and then did some shopping...and when we got back, I said-"Hey, the kids aren't here, I am going to put up that wall border in the bathroom I have been meaning to do for a while!" It is about 11:00pm, and I just finished it. It looks nice!
    Nola-I know the feeling about being in more control now, not feeling like you have to eat just because everyone else is, or just because it is there. At Applebee's for instance...my husband ordered cheese sticks before our meal, and I didn't touch one of them...I just sipped my tea. It seems my tummy has shrank a bit due to this week's sickness...I could only eat about a third of the low fat quesadillas I ordered...and when I got home, I looked it up, and the entire thing was less than 600 calories. I think that is the first time in history I have eaten in a restaurant and consumed only about 200 calories-because I was FULL. I was actually forcing myself to eat that-and I am still under 1200 calories for the day-so I KNOW I need to eat closer to 1400-1500 once I am totally 100% well again.
    Tomorrow is one of our many Thanksgiving getogethers...and I am actually thankful I haven't been well...with my tummy not up to par, I am pretty much going to eat a bit of roast turkey and maybe a small roll, and that will probably be it! (We both have large families, so we have it spread out to like 4-5 gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas, to make sure we get to see all of our family.)
    Nancy-that is sweet about your grandbaby...I remember the first time my daughter said that to me! I think she was 2 as well! Raiden is only a year and a half, so he still has a while...it is still pretty much DA! (he always says his dad's name with great enthusiasm), Mamama, I DO! (when he wants to do it without help), and No! No! No!-which he does not say to me, but rather says to himself when he is doing or touching something he knows he shouldn't...I don't think it has sunk in that I respond so quickly because he is loudly telling on himself!
    Well, it is getting late, and I need some sleep before I have to deal with all my in law's tomorrow...good night!
    Aphil
  • Hello hello!!!

I feel guilty at not posting as often as I used to; it's sure not because I don't think of you all, 'cause 3FC is always on my mind when I'm wavering on what to eat...

Aphil, glad you're feeling a little better from the stomach bug. Your house must be so attractive, with all the artistic work that you do on it! The enengy that you have!!!

Hi Nancy! Well, congrats to your DH for the job; that is a shame that you two have to be separated for a while; and that you have to deal with moving. What a job that is...A pat on the back and thumbs up for staying OP, and staying so optimistic even when the scale plays tricks!

Hi alibee! Well, I'd say if the writing muse is calling to you, it's good to write. But do take a break for some exercise; it'll make you feel even better.

Kina, you ARE beautiful! Nice smile, and yes, beautiful brows and dark hair! That's so funny about you saying you could have sworn that you posted, but discovered you hadn't...then you're like, "ok, what ELSE have I imagined I've taken care of, but HAVEN'T??"

Your husband lost over 30 pounds! WOW! Is he feeling great? Did he do it by cutting calories/fat and exercising?

Hi Kanola! So good to hear of you feeling great, having fun, riding that bike! And hooray to you for exercising such self-control. Sure can be hard when everyone else is having tea/coffee and a sweet. It IS a powerful feeling to say no, I'm not going to have that...and feel good about it.

My part-time job has expanded to 4 days a week, which is good ($ ) but my gosh, I don't know how crummy I would feel at the end of each day if I wasn't in relatively good shape...I do enough ab work so that my lower back doesn't ache, but whoa! Running around serving people and taking food orders from people who are like whispering against this totally chaotic background is enough to FRAZZLE anybody! But it's always a good feeling at the end of the day to know that I've done my best, and maybe made someone laugh or smile. And it's fun to feel the jingle of my cash tips in my bag!

Oh! I haven't told you all yet about what we're doing next spring...Joe and I are riding the 'cycles to St. Louis, Missouri!! We are meeting up with other motorcycle folks from the West Coast. It will be during the last week of April, into the first week of May. I have no idea how I'm going to hold up for such a long trip - we're "guesstimating" 3 days traveling time there (it's about 1200 miles). But this is what is going to keep me motivated to KEEP WORKING OUT 5-6 times a week, to have the stamina for the ride.

I imagine I'll be just like one of those gritty, grimy motorcycle folk, with a bandanna around my hair; only clean spot on my face where the sunglasses cover and whatever cargo (clean jeans and underwear!) I can stash onto my teeny luggage rack. Maybe 20 years ago I'd go for the sleeping bag/pup tent deal, but not this (almost) 42 yr. old! It'll be a Motel 6 each night, hot bath and clean sheets!

I'm sure eating right will be a challenge on the road, but I'll do my best...I think once we get to St. Louis, it'll be pretty much a beer bash (once we're settled; no drinking and riding for me) but it'll be one of those occasions where you just gotta splurge (and mid-western beef would be great, wouldn't it? or I should have used the cow smilie but he's too cute to think of eating

Gotta go put clean laundry away - it's been fun gabbing!

Your friend, Holly
  • Upset, sad, and all the above.
    I am in a awful mood because of something a nasty skinny lady said to me. I was crying to my 11 year old about the whole thing. My poor baby was like "Mom, you're not fat; you're pretty. Don't cry." Then she asks "Was she skinny?" I said "Yes, you know if she had been a heavy set woman it probably would not had bothered me so much but she was a skinny lady." What happened was I was taking my DH to the Mall (I hate the Mall) we were going to shop for shirts for him. Well when we were driving this car nearly hits us from the side. Luckily I was paying attention and honked at the lady to get her to notice me coming. So then she starts honking and continues to follow us (tail gating close) and honking all the time. Finally I stop the van and get down to ask her what the heck was darn problem. Well everytime I talked she was honking and saying "I can't hear you." But when she would talk she would stop honking. I noticed she had a child in the backseat "I told her she was lucky I wasn't some crazed Road Rage driver with a gun." Of course she was honking while I was talking again. Then I stop talking and she takes advantage of this and says (this is what hurt so bad) "Shut up Fat @ss!" I called her a few names but what she said really hit deep. After that it just wouldn't get out of my head. Everytime I thought of food what she said rung loud in my head. When I ate it rung loud in my head again.

I wanted to tell my DH but I couldn't bring myself to telling him. My daughter asked if I had told him. The girls and I were having a polish party when I confided in my 11 year old. I know I shouldn't burden her with things so above her age. But as I said before I don't have a sister and my best friend isn't always accessible. I wanted to also share this pain with all of you because you all are the closest thing to a best friend that I have. And then my new found sister (Aphil) is here also. *grabs the tissue and wipes away those alligator tears; hoping DH doesn't notice*

I am sorry I burdened you all with my pain. And I am sorry I wasn't my usual cheerful self. And I am sorry I was selfish with post and didn't tend to responding to so many of your wonderful posts.

Thank you for listening. I promise to be back to my normal self soon.
    Kina
  • How rude!
    Kina.... don't apologise for not being yourself after that experience! How rude of that b***h! (sorry... only word that describes her).

Anyone that behaves in the way that she did must have a very sad and sorry life. To do that with a child in the car as well?? That should tell you what kind of parent she is! That is just shocking!

The way I look at situations like that is...... there must be something dysfunctional in her life to make her so miserable that in order to get satisfaction for herself, she has to make an a** of herself behaving in a childlike and immature way honking her horn and chasing you around. Then the other way to make herself feel better, because obviously she has a very small world and mind if she acts like this, is by calling out a name which would be hurtful. Sheesh!! people like that really tick me off. Just think how miserable it would be to live in her world. Where you make yourself feel better by intimidating people and acting nasty and rude. She gets to go on living her pathetic, miserable and unhappy life, while you will move on, feel better once you let this pass to be the wonderful caring supportive beautiful person you are. Thankful that you are not living in her life!! If you can even call that living!!

Chin up.... we are here to listen to you!

And we think you are beautiful and amazing and so supportive, that woman could not even come close to being a smidgen of the good person you are!

So there..... time for me to go to bed and send bad karma across the ocean to that evil woman

gggrrrrr.......
  • Kina,
    That lady is lucky that I wasn't in the car with you...or you would probably be bailing me out of jail right now for assault...(Aphil admits to a smidgen of bad temper)
    I know the tears all too well from an experience here and there myself. But-you could think of it in a bit more positive light. Calling you that name was the only thing she had! She COULDN'T call you ugly! What she called you was the ONLY ammo she had at all to upset you!
    I know that you are upset-and this is the exact same thingmy mother would have shared with me when I was your daughter's age-so don't feel bad about burdening her. My mother and I were very close growing up, and still to this day we are best friends. Still, maybe you should at least tell your husband about what she said-even though you are trying to hide it, he does notice your mood-and you don't want him to think HE did something!
    That lady must have had a zillion faults you could have called her out on, or she would have let you talk instead of honking-she probably knew there were lots of things you could have called her!
    I can't believe she acted like that with her child in the car...some people.
    Instead of hearing those words everytime you eat, make it a positive thing...stick to your plan, and just hope that after you lose another 20-30 pounds that you see her again. Then cooly walk up to her-and say "Remember me? Look at my a** now-nice isn't it?" It is something that will probably never happen, but it is a great motivator, and something to daydream about before you go to bed at night...
    I did well at my father in laws family get together yesterday...you are not going to believe what Raiden did! We are all sitting around my grandmother in laws house after lunch, (she has a large house, with a family room and a living room, and sunroom, etc.) and people are scattered throughout the rooms. The kids are kindof wandering around playing, and all of a sudden Raiden comes in the room and goes up to his "Paw" (Jason's dad) and hands him a LIVE MOUSE!!!!! This 1 year old child caught a mouse! He cried his eyes out when his Paw took it outisde-he was PLAYING with it!!!!! Jason thought it was hilarious! I have never seen such a thing!
    Well, everyone have a good day! No bad thoughts! I am going to try to ease in some more exercise on this healing back-everyone have a good one!
    Aphil
  • Hello ladies!

This isn't my "usual" stomping ground, but I just felt like cruising a little today to see who all is there that I don't "know."

You all sound so great!

I have been posting to the Slim-Fast thread, but I just read what Kina wrote on this one and just HAD to post a response to her!! KINA, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!! DO NOT LET SOME ROAD-RAGING IDIOT MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE ANY LESS! As far as confiding in your daughter, sometimes kids make the best listeners. After things have settled down, if it'd make you feel better, you can always discuss the situation with her further.

For the rest of y'all, I love reading posts from all parts of the country (and other countries). Makes me feel like the world isn't such a big, scary place Man, sometimes I feel like I am still such a little kid!
  • Thank you for all your kind words
    I don't know how I would have managed without you all along with many others on all the threads I communicate in. I went to work today and I went through the motions.

This morning when I woke up the situation was ringing through my head over and over. So I pulled out a few old pictures of me and then I pulled out the exact outfit and put it on. I went over to my 11 year old daughter (Raevin) and modeled for her opinion. She was like "WOW, mom you look great." I felt much better. I also felt much better reading to each of you wonderful, heart filling posts. Yes, I did turn this around and I have to keep reminding myself to make it a healthy turn around.

I also vowed to be OP until I reach my goal with an occassional allowance of a fatty meal on the weekend. But also to stay on top of my exercise plan of my elliptical machine, ab roller, and twister. Without over doing it of course.

I want to say thank you to each and everyone of not just for your posts but also for being special individuals and especially for allowing me to be a part of your world and you in mine.

Many hugs and smiles to you all.
    Corina AKA Kina
  • Oh, Kina! I felt my stomach give a twist when I read of that horrible person...I haven't been called names since I was a kid but can recall exactly the pain, hurt, shame, sadness!

I agree with everything that everyone else has said...somehow see if you can take the venom from that non-person and use it to help yourself. A pretty tall order but you have shown us how strong and amazing you are.

Don't feel guilty about sharing your pain with your child...I think sometimes they are even better to share with, because they're so open and honest! And they are there to show their love for you.

I would have been crying myself...and yes, reliving it again and again. But hopefully you can be above that and move away from it.

Yes, please know that we are all your sisters!

Your friend, Holly
  • Good morning everyone!
    Today I just did not want to get out of bed...but I did. I was so tired for some reason!
    That just gives me extra motivation to get some exercise today! I am still being careful-the pain has lessened, but they said it would take about a month for my muscles in my back to be back totally healed.
    I hope everyone is doing well...and wanted to give ya'll a list of low calorie treat/splurges/desserts for the occasional sweet tooth. My motto is, if I am craving sweets, and that craving just will not go away, like during PMS, it is better for me to "decide" to have a small treat, rather than try to abstain and eat a pint of ice cream when I cave.
    Treats/splurges under 130 calories:
    Weight Watchers big round ice cream sandwiches-130
    Sugar free Fudgesicle brand fudge bar-35
    Fun size Snickers-95 (this was my saving grace at Halloween, nowing I could have ONE)
    DumDum lollipop-30
    a tall glass of Crystal Light drink-10
    1/2 c. sherbet-110
    sugar free Jello cup with a dollop of Cool Whip light-25
    roll of Smarties candy-25
    Blue Bunny Krunch lite ice cream bar-90 (really good-tastes like the Nestle crunch ice cream bars)
    Reading all of the info out there, it just goes to show a small sweet isn't all that bad-but most of us just dig our hands into the candy, or eat a huge bowl of ice cream instead of a serving-which is one reason I LOVE the single serving ice cream treats like some of those above-no measuring! If we can get used to the idea of just having one, instead of mindlessly munching-that is the key.
    Naturally thin people automatically think like this-they just have one treat, they stop eating when they are full, they only have one dessert at Thanksgiving, instead of having some pie, then getting a cookie, and then some of something else an hour later...
    Which reminds me...Thanksgiving is coming up next week, and I would GREATLY appreciate it if any of you have some healthier recipes to share for some holiday fare.
    For those of us who want to eat regular stuff and not toally blow it-here are a few tips. The roasted turkey, if you eat white meat over dark, is a lot less caloric and has less fat than dark meat, or the ham or anything else there. It is around 220 calories and 4.5 grams of fat for 5 oz. without skin. That equals a serving of a little larger than a deck of cards-so if you can try to eye that at dinner, you will be fine. Also-if there are no diet desserts there, your best bet is the pumpkin or sweet potato pie-it has a ton of vitamin A in it, and has the least amount of calories-about 320 calories and 17 grams of fat, for 1/6 of a 9" pie-so if they have it cut into 8 slices, you can redo the math. It is higher in fat than something we would normally eat, but it is a better choice than the others that have equal or more fat, and more calories, plus the nutrition boost of the vitamins! Pair that and your turkey up with salad, or the vegetables there, and you aren't missing a thing!
    Nancy-I have your recipe for the crustless pumpkin pie written down, what kind of pan do you make it in? My grandmother in law is watching her weight, and I may make it so her and I will have a low calorie dessert to eat.
    Here are a couple of my recipes that any of you could use for Thanksgiving side dishes:
    4 Bean Salad
    1 16oz. can drained green beans
    1 16oz. can drained cut wax beans
    1 15 oz. can drained kidney beans
    1 8 oz. can drained garbanzo beans
    1/2 c. finely diced onion
    1/3c. chopped fresh parsley
    1/4. diced bell pepper-green
    1/t. garlic salt
    1/2c. seasoned rice vinegar
    Mix all ingredients in large bowl and toss. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours until well chilled. serves 8
    120 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 10 grams of fiber per serving

Pasta Salad
    3c. cooked spiral macaroni
    3/4c. chopped tomato
    2/3c. chopped cucumber
    1/2c. chopped bell pepper
    1/3c. chopped green onions
    1/3c. sliced ripe black olives
    Dressing:
    1/4c. rice wine vinegar
    2T. water
    2T. olive or vegetable oil
    1/2t. salt
    1/2t. sesame oil
    1 finely chopped lcove of garlic
    Shake all dressing ingredients in a container until well blended. Mix all other ingredients in a bowl, add dressing and toss well. Cover and refridgerate until chilled. 6 servings.
    155 calories, 5 grams fat, and 1 gram fiber per serving.
    have a good day,
    Aphil
  • I have to admit right now here today...I think I am going to pig out on Thanksgiving. But I think when the day comes I probably won't because I would like to see 180 by Christmas. At the same time I will be having a serving of Thanksgiving today and Thursday. The kids have Thanksgiving Lunch and they invite the parents for a nominal fee to attend. We have four kids and they each figure if I can go to see one then I can go to see the them. But I did call on one of their Godmother to come and join him instead of me. *Quick thinking I think* So I will be joining two this week. Actually my gift (step son) Matthew doesn't know I will be joining him today. I like to surprise him because it feels good to see his eyes light up and then he runs to me with arms open because he was totally surprised out of the blue.

Okay so I will probably do better at Thanksgiving than I have done in the past that is for sure. We will only buy a 15 lb turkey so that we won't feel obligated to eat the whole thing.

Today is our Anniversary. I got my camera and I LOVE it. I have just been playing with it more than anything. Well I better get going I will be joining Matthew for lunch in a few. Talk to you all again.

Many hugs and smiles to you.
    Kina
  • HI everyone,
    I have had a good day so far, playing with the kids. They have been in unusually good moods today, and very playful and sweet.
    Kina-yousound like such a good mother and stepmother! Your kids are so lucky! I cannot wait until the kids are in school so I can be the mother who always brings the goodies into class on Valentines day, and see their first chool programs and things like that!
    I have a ton of Christmas shopping left to do-so I am glad I have started early. Our families are both really big, so it is taking a lot out of the pocketbook lately to get it all done.
    You know...I have a sick sort of vengeful motivation going on here. I hate to be like that, but I can't help it-at least I am being nice in person, and only letting you all know what is going on.
    My sister in law (I have two-one is great, the other is a spoiled brat) is younger than my husband, and she does no wrong. She can't keep her finances in line, she is in her twenties and her grandparents pay for her to drive a brand new car, which they trade in every couple of years AND pay the insurance on, and everytime she says she is low on money, etc. everyone sends her food, etc. and so on and so forth. They have also paid for her college education, and she got kicked out due to low grades, and they are now paying for her to go to a local business school. (While she has no money to pay her bills or buy groceries, she smokes Marlboro cigarettes at $4 a pack, and always has new clothes, or can afford to buy drinks out when she goes clubbing every weekend.) She mooches off of her parents and grandparents, and blows her own money, while my husband and his other sister do and pay for themsleves.
    She lost about 10 pounds over the summer, and everyone has just made over those 10 pounds like she lost 90-and noone has said a word about my loss at all. I am so sick about hearing about her 10 pounds, that I have the urge to show up at Easter dinner this spring with a rather large loss. Isn't that terrible? I figure I can squeeze out a couple more pounds by Christmas, and maybe wear a sweatshirt so it is NOT as noticable...to make the bang bigger at Easter. I know that is terrible, but I am so tired of hearing about how wonderful/fabulous Alicia is...
    I know this is really catty...but don't all of you have a family member that you just want to stick it to now and then?
    Aphil
  • Oh YES Aphil. I feel your pain. I am with you girlfriend. I think I have a few pounds I can squeeze out by Christmas. We need a challenge of some kind. I know I would like to see 180 by Christmas and I don't stick to a routine of high maintenance exercise and sensible eating it will not happen. I managed to get back up to 194 just when I thought I was going to be seeing the 80s...BLAH! Think up a challenge and I am there. I am an Aries and if you are familiar with Aries' they tend to work well with challenges and under pressure. I know I have my own challenge going on to use my ab roller daily by doing 20 rolls per night and to do 15 miles per week on my elliptical machine. So far this week I have managed to stick to my ab roller; I haven't yet gotten my elliptical machine workout in yet but I will before the week is over.

So bring on the challenge. I think we need something to get everyone ready for the holidays. I know it is the worst timing with Thanksgiving right around the corner but it's never too late.

Talk to you all again.
    Kina
  • "To succeeed, you need to take that gut feeling in what you
    believe in and act on it with all your heart" -- Christy Borgeld

I think he means you know you have to exercise to get the weight off...so what are waiting for get your butt moving! LOL