Amazing August

You're on Page 5 of 11
Go to
  • Quote: Aw thank you guys for all the support, Mel Lydia & midwife, sometimes I wonder how people get the urge to have more than one, LOL!!!
    Uhm. In my case, it took five years for the amnesia to set in.
  • Quote: Uhm. In my case, it took five years for the amnesia to set in.
    LOL! And then "Oops... that's why I selectively forgot!!"
  • The workout today was:
    400m Run
    50 Jumping Squats
    40 Pushups
    30 Knees to Elbows
    20 Burpees
    10 Deadlifts (315/185)
    20 Burpees
    30 Knees to Elbows
    40 Pushups
    50 Jumping Squats
    400m Run

I did Abmat situps for the knees to elbows and also 143 lb deadlifts. I should've did more but wasn't sure how I'd feel. It took me 38:45.
  • Probably a good idea nelie, I'm not a huge fan of higher rep deadlifts, sometimes I think people really lose the form on that one. Great workout!!!
  • I was educated reading the posts on costs. I haven't checked the costs for crossfit here, and I pay $500 for 3 sessions a week with a personal trainer, one on one.

I got back home last night and went to aquafit this morning and to weight training this afternoon. I did chest incline (75 pounds, 4 reps; 60 pounds, 5 reps X 3); barbell chest press (45 pounds, 12 reps X 3); another machine the name of which I forget; and lots of core (plank, etc). Tomorrow is legs.

Next week we are changing the routine and doing total body 3 X a week, meeting every other day. I talked to my trainer about doing crossfit kinds of things and he is going to see what accommodations he can make, given that we are in a regular gym and I have serious cervical disk issues. I'm looking forward to it.

Rhonda
  • Holy Batman! I charged $550 for 10 sessions when I was training!!!! No wonder I felt like I wasn't making any money. And I didn't get to keep all of it.

Lydia, I LOVE your new picture! you look fantastic!

Woke up stiff and sore. Heavy dead lifts on Monday, then heavy dead
    lifts on Monday, then heavy squats yesterday. Didn't make my mental number, but got a respectable 195 on the back squat. Still not back to pre-injury on that one, but since I'm not training for sheer strength anymore, I don't expect to.

Today the heat should finally break. YAY!!!!

Shannon- I have FINALLY managed to atand up and raise my leg in that bird of paradise pose! I't not 90 degrees, but I can do it on both sides to slightly above parallel to the floor. Every since you posted it, it became my new goal (obsession?). What's next?

Mel
  • Whoops, my post was misleading. I pay $500 a month for 3 sessions a week, or 12 sessions total for the $500. That's at LA Fitness, so, of course, the trainer doesn't get it all. I have worked with an independent trainer for a few sessions, and she charged $50 per hour and, of course, it was all hers.

Sorry....I shouldn't write late at night!

Rhonda
  • August 12, 2010
    - Heavy back workout (4-6 reps, 9 sets), felt good. Not too much sleep last night. Put Alex in a crib for the first time and while he slept okay, my DH couldn't stop getting up to check, around 6 or 8 times!! Men! He told me all day not to worry but typical, he is just as scared! Just didn't want to admit it.
  • Rhonda: That's what I was thinking...I was about to inquire a list of this guy's certs. Ya know...which ones should I be adding to raise that kind of cash. Although, $500/month is an investment.

Mel: Hey, thanks. DS2 took that pic the day we moved it. Not bad for a 6 year old. Oh, and congrats on the acquisition of your Paradise obsession.

Truck is unloaded and I'm now surrounded by mountains of boxes. Today is paperwork day. Gotta get these kids registered for school. I've got 22 pages to fill out for each boy. And new healthcare professionals to find.

Looking forward to a break in this heat today too! So funny Mel, I used to be able to tell you the weather headed your way...now you have to tell me.

Enjoy the day
  • Yes, $500/month is an investment, especially when living on a pension (generous, but still a pension). But, I decided that $6,000 was what we would spend on furniture or vacation or whatever, and that one year of really getting my back and becoming strong would be worth every cent. So far it has been.

22 pages! Twice! My goodness, that's more than registering at a university, good grief.

Rhonda
  • Hi all,
    Still in full jetlag mode, lying awake at night etc and hot flashes are kicking in as well. I have not exercised at all on my holiday except for walking, so I hope to ease myself back into something by next week, when I should feel more closely human.

sacha - ouch on the teething baby
    lydia - yay on the new house

to all

Rabbit
  • Today's work out was leg presses...360 pounds, 12 reps; 450 pounds, 8 reps, then 10 reps. Very difficult, but I'm getting there.

I did RDL's at 80 pounds, 10 reps, 4 sets. Then, lots of squats and lunges, followed by some core work, eg. planks, side planks, etc. I also did something they called "pallof" I think. You stand sideways to a cable, pull it out and hold it in front of you and press it straight out and bring it back: 10 pounds, 10 reps, 3 sets.

DOMS, here it comes..

Rhonda
  • Hello Rabbit

Good Job Tejas!

I'm undecided if I'm going to go workout today, I have a feeling if I did, I'd DNF. My husband and many people in his office are sick. I woke up yesterday with a tickly throat, same thing today. Good thing I'm taking most of today off. Not only that, I've felt slightly congested.

Anyway, I'd like to do the workout today, its Angie. Although I know it'd take me forever to do those situps. The other day, we did 50 situps and that killed me although I've done 100 situps before after a workout.
    “Angie”

For time:

100 Pullups
    100 Pushups
    100 Situps
    100 Squats

Oh and the funny thing is on Wednesday, I told my husband that it was going to be a long workout and he said that he'll expect me to come home late. I told him no, for long workouts, that is when I come home early because all we do is the workout. For short workouts, we generally have a pre-workout (strength/skill work) and a post workout (practice of something or just to kill us, not sure which). Anyway, its kind of funny to have a pre-workout, the workout and a post-workout and try to explain that to someone
  • Good morning! I am up and exercising today! Woo hoo! It has been an icky week, so the last three days have been mostly exercise free. . Today I've done some yoga, my 'medium' day from my stumptuous workout, and am now on the stationary bike to cool down.

Catching up some...

Lydia - great new pic! Glad you are moved, hope unpacking is smooth!

Rhonda - you do some great workouts with your trainer! $500 is a big investment, though. For 12 sessions not too bad, though I guess. How do you like it?

Nelie - you seem to be loving the CF! Cool. I'm still thinking about it, but will likely have to wait after Christmas.

Mel - on birds of paradise! I am at about the same place. I've been working lately on hip and hamstring flexibility and can almost touch my toes with my knees straight. That has really helped with extending my leg in BOP. Hmmm... I'll poke around and find another one to put up... Maybe Lydia has some suggestions?
  • Oops - scrolled down in the window and couldn't get back to the end on the iPhone...

Sacha - I'm glad Alex did well in the crib. How is DH today?