Stay Primal in July!

You're on Page 4 of 18
Go to
  • I have decided that when I have lost 50 pounds I am buying myself this because I totally deserve it. I deserve it now for coming this far, but I want to give myself a goal to shoot for, so I don't get too overwhelmed by how much father I have to go. I have been coveting this necklace for years, but never buy things like this so it will be nice to finally have it.
    http://sattvagallery.com/delicate-necklace.html
  • Oh Kathy, that's pretty. Go for it! And we want pics when you get it.
  • Kathy, that is soooo pretty, you sooo deserve it
  • Good morning!

I should change that s/c/g thing in my profile. I can't recall the last time I was 128 lbs. Oh maybe for a half day ...
    I'm sorry that I keep going on about this but it baffles me! I can start pinching at my armpit and hardly have anything to grab until I get to about the muffin top area. It's awesome! But I'm sure glad I hadn't set my heart on getting to be 120 lbs!
  • Kathy,
    Just a thought on the weight loss....Do you think your digestion may be sluggish? I was having alot of problems with my stomach.... I thought I had GERD. But many doctors later a Naturopath got me started on taking a spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water one half hour before meals. I immediately lost 5 lbs (probably water weight) and my stomach problems started to clear up.

My stomach problems weren't about too much acid but not enough. The food was just staying in the upper part of my stomach and was taking days to digest. I won't gross you out with the associated problems.

I only mention this to you because I believe you were taking the same prescription drug I was for stomach problems. It starts with an O????? I haven't used it in about 6 months.

This way of eating has helped my stomach TREMENDOUSLY!

Just thought I'd throw that out as a possibility.
  • Thanks everyone for answering my breakfast question and thanks Bob for all the detail. I think I'm going to try that when my husband goes out of town next week....it will be easier for me to try it without having to cook for him at a certain time. I'm excited to try it!
  • Aztec Stuffed Peppers- Cut tops off and get seeds out, coat in olive oil and cook in oven at 375 for about 20 min(you want them almost soft) Then fill with whatever you'd like. and put back in oven for another 5ish min and turn broil on for about 1 min to brown up the cheese and pepper.

I used goat cheese and bacon for the stuffing this time(bacon I crisped up first and chopped in pieces) Next time I'm not using the aztec peppers, they are too bland, we like spicy at my house. The farm stand had them really cheap so I tried them. Here is a link I saw earlier on MDA, sounds delish! Although I may use different ingred, but I liked the concept.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/crock...uffed-peppers/
  • Glad to be back to regular schedule again. I did not eat as bad as I could have but still did not make the best chooses. Yesterday morning I was back up to 144. Last nite DH & I did end up at Beechers for ice cream. I thought it would show on the scale this morning but I actuelly dropped a lb.

Sassykathy- The necklace is beautiful! If I wore jewelry it is something that I would like to get too. DH buys me jewelry once in awhile but I barley wear it.
  • Okay then. I am now 38 hours into a fast and feeling GREAT. This may be an adrenal response that could eventually lead to adrenal fatigue, but the four days of blissful eating probably make that no concern. Despite being a little disappointed in my ability to stick to the plan, I sill feel like weight came off during those four days. It's times like this that I know, for me anyway, it is far better just not to weigh myself. Period. I am happy to wait for the 1st of August.

Kathy, that is a nice reward for 50 pounds. My plan was pizza at 50 pounds, My favorite restaurant at 100. But instead I skipped the pizza and just celebrated the 50 pounds for a few days of primal over eating. As to the stalled weight loss, maybe you too should not worry about the scale daily, weekly or whatever. Just stick to a healthy plan. Weighing yourself, counting calories, balancing macros -- to me all of these are the accessories of a diet, not a lifestyle, and diets are not sustainable whereas a lifestyle is by definition.

As fast as I am losing now, I do know your frustration. I could maintain 350+ pounds at 1800-2000 calories a day before I started this lifestyle. The math didn't make sense and my brother could maintain 185 at 3000+ calories. Life just sucks like that sometimes. My mom likes to count calories, years of WW and Tops, and she calculated my average daily calories in July at 900-1000. That's really low, but the fasting days are zero calorie days and the eating days are generally 1200 to 2000. I agree with wildviolets that you could have digestive problems and maybe even thyroid issues. Gut flora? But remember Dr. Harris at Panu's plan for a broken metabolism? Get 85% of your calories from fat. There are levels of ketosis and it seems deep ketosis is healing for broken metabolisms. I thought my metabolism was broken, but a couple weeks averaging 20g of carbs a day including a few zero gram days (fasts) and something stoked the fat burning process. I truly hope you find a successful approach.

My brother's diet:

Yesterday he made pancakes for everyone in the morning. His were swimming in fake maple syrup. At lunch he just snacked on half a box of Entenmenn's donuts. For dinner, he went to Arby's and got a big roast beef sandwich, some fries and a coke. He had the 20 oz. fast food soda and 3 cans of full strength Pepsi yesterday. This morning I noticed the box of donuts is empty. Sigh. I gotta live with this!?
  • Good grief Bob, your brother is like a walking temptation. Stay strong and just imagine his organs having to work overtime on all that poison. I don't know your brothers age, but 10 years from now you'll be looking younger than your age and he'll probably be looking 10 years older. It will catch-up in the later years.

So I've been having an ongoing conversation in my head lately(not the crazy kind!). I leave for Ocean City,MD next Friday and will be there 8 days and my hubby and I have been discussing the food plan. We'll be at a condo with my mother, step-father, my grandparents and my kiddos of course, and we are the only healthy eaters in the family, everyone else is CW healthy. Of course the boardwalk has tons of temptations, but after my little experience with birthday cake in Florida I want nothing to do with sugar or junk food, it will ruin at least 1 day for me since I'd be stuck in the condo near the bathroom. I have decided to bring my food processor so I can make a few little primal treats for me and hubby. My kids will be having their bdays there as well, so more bday cake! I have finally realized, its just not worth it to eat junk, I feel crappy emotionally and physically for days after and it takes 1 wk to get back into Primal happiness for me. I'm not one the people that can eat something bad and have no adverse effects, my body really punishes me. So thats my conversation...I decided to obstain from boardwalk treats and just stick with my regular eating, it will make me feel so much stronger in the long run. I will be eating toppings off of pizza, and tons of seafood probably cooked in veg. oils, but aside from that no funnel cake,canolis,ice cream,sugary lemonade,fudge or anything else that I'd normally eat there, I'll make my own versions. Another thing that drove me to thinking this way is how far I've come, I would hate to go on vacation and center it around food like others in my family and end up gaining 10 lbs back, its just not worth it right now. I'm going to for once in my life, go on vacation and spend my $$ on activites with my son, like kayaking,beach hike,parasailing,jet skiing, etc, instead of wasting $$ on "treats".

Done!
  • Good attitude Kara!

I find family vacations and get togethers a complete disaster for me. My sister says that we a compulsive partying gene......when in a party atmosphere, we always eat and drink too much. I'm just terrible when it comes to temptation.

But you sound like you are going in with a good plan and your husband will be good support so you should have a successful vacation. Hang in there!
  • Kara, be strong ....

Bob, I agree with Kara, EVENTUALLY this kind of eating will catch up to him ...

Yesterday I visited the dentist at 7:30am because of a sore tooth they were very good in taking me right away,considering I was a drop-in, but I've been a client of theirs for 20+ years... It's a wisdom tooth, I have all mine still and they are all out too... I am on anti biotics and pain killers... I didn't work yesterday, slept all day, I was bored at home though, and too lazy to make good food so I ate a few fruits and half a cup of ww pasta... OOOHH I paid for it this morning, had a good cleanse , no weight gain either...

Not much else to report....
  • Quote: I have decided that when I have lost 50 pounds I am buying myself this because I totally deserve it. I deserve it now for coming this far, but I want to give myself a goal to shoot for, so I don't get too overwhelmed by how much father I have to go. I have been coveting this necklace for years, but never buy things like this so it will be nice to finally have it.
    http://sattvagallery.com/delicate-necklace.html
    What a great and well deserved reward!
  • Quote: .

My brother's diet:

Yesterday he made pancakes for everyone in the morning. His were swimming in fake maple syrup. At lunch he just snacked on half a box of Entenmenn's donuts. For dinner, he went to Arby's and got a big roast beef sandwich, some fries and a coke. He had the 20 oz. fast food soda and 3 cans of full strength Pepsi yesterday. This morning I noticed the box of donuts is empty. Sigh. I gotta live with this!?
    No matter how thin he is that diet is downright unhealthy! The HFCS, hydrogenated oils, the chemicals and preservatives, the hormone laden fast food meats... ugh!
  • My sister and her family are here for a long visit - lots of temptations - I'm doing well with foods, but I'm not getting much exercise in. I really want to and NEED to change that. I am reading the Fitness chapter of PB this week, and once company leaves and heat wave breaks (I'm in Va. --- UGH!!!), I want to focus on exercise. Weight is holding steady at 146 -- ready to see that drop.

Have a PRIMAL day, all! (We need a primal emoticon!)