Exercise

You're on Page 6 of 33
Go to
  • Quote: Aloha,
    SweetSheila, I have been doing Callenetics for years. i HAVE BEEN PREGNANT 3 TIMES IN 6 YRS!!So I am so stoked to get back to it. It is amazing. It is like nothing else I have ever done. I was always fit but needed to work harder as i got older. When I found Callenetics, it made it so easy fun and they are just elegant exercises you can do at home. It will change your body like nothing else! She claims if you do 10 sessions, you will look 10 yrs younger. 1 yr for each session, and it is true. She has a book where you can see pics of many of her students. UNTOUCHED after each session. She was very big in 70's and she looks amazing. HAs but like a peach and is in her 60-70's now. It is true because at 36 yrs old ,someone thought I was in early 20;s.( I am making a come back after having a baby 7 months ago! Long way...)But Callenetics will help get there faster!
    The moves are basically strength training, isometrics Combining yoga, belly dancing, pilates, and ballet. VERY small movements are done in poses. And you can use furniture in your home. Everyone I have told about is tripped by what it does to their shape.One or two moves are tough in beginning, and even give you a charlie horse, but after a day or two ,it passes. I can not say enough about it!You tube may show her. People have used her name to make up other versions but try to get Callen Pickney.The book is great too, with pictures that so inspire! Aloha
    This sounds great - I am just starting to exercise. My arms have bat wings and do not look so good. Does the callestinics help that?
  • Quote: Aloha,
    SweetSheila, I have been doing Callenetics for years. i HAVE BEEN PREGNANT 3 TIMES IN 6 YRS!!So I am so stoked to get back to it. It is amazing. It is like nothing else I have ever done. I was always fit but needed to work harder as i got older. When I found Callenetics, it made it so easy fun and they are just elegant exercises you can do at home. It will change your body like nothing else! She claims if you do 10 sessions, you will look 10 yrs younger. 1 yr for each session, and it is true. She has a book where you can see pics of many of her students. UNTOUCHED after each session. She was very big in 70's and she looks amazing. HAs but like a peach and is in her 60-70's now. It is true because at 36 yrs old ,someone thought I was in early 20;s.( I am making a come back after having a baby 7 months ago! Long way...)But Callenetics will help get there faster!
    The moves are basically strength training, isometrics Combining yoga, belly dancing, pilates, and ballet. VERY small movements are done in poses. And you can use furniture in your home. Everyone I have told about is tripped by what it does to their shape.One or two moves are tough in beginning, and even give you a charlie horse, but after a day or two ,it passes. I can not say enough about it!You tube may show her. People have used her name to make up other versions but try to get Callen Pickney.The book is great too, with pictures that so inspire! Aloha
    I'm glad I located your post, I couldn't recall who posted the info re Callanetics. (I misspelled it in another post). Based on your info, I did purchase 2 dvds. This program is NOT easy! But I can tell it's working muscles I've not used in a very long time or never! One question, how often do you do the program? I tried to do it every other day but it was too much for me... thanks!
  • Elizabeth - you are wonderful to offer your professional advice and wisdom in the forum! Your information on target heart rate was especially helpful!

I personally found it odd that the coaches said no exercise in Phase 1. I will be incorporating some light exercise back in this week.

QUESTION: Has anyone seen a dramatic improvement/loss when adding exercise back in Phase 1?
  • Quote: Elizabeth - you are wonderful to offer your professional advice and wisdom in the forum! Your information on target heart rate was especially helpful!

I personally found it odd that the coaches said no exercise in Phase 1. I will be incorporating some light exercise back in this week.

QUESTION: Has anyone seen a dramatic improvement/loss when adding exercise back in Phase 1?
    Since I've never had an IP coach, I didn't get any advice on exercise when I started out... I was already working out before IP, so I just continued... I figured at my age, I could lose the weight, but would end up just a bag of loose skin, so I was determined to build up my muscles to fill in the spaces... I'm really glad I did it that way, I'm seeing good results... but I know IP has good reasons for advising against exercise to begin with, so the best way is to follow your coach's advice, PLUS pay close attention to Elizabeth!.. the IP protocol is still the STAR OF THE SHOW, but exercise is an important member of the supporting cast, when you're ready for it...

hugs
  • Quote: Since I've never had an IP coach, I didn't get any advice on exercise when I started out... I was already working out before IP, so I just continued... I figured at my age, I could lose the weight, but would end up just a bag of loose skin, so I was determined to build up my muscles to fill in the spaces... I'm really glad I did it that way, I'm seeing good results... but I know IP has good reasons for advising against exercise to begin with, so the best way is to follow your coach's advice, PLUS pay close attention to Elizabeth!.. the IP protocol is still the STAR OF THE SHOW, but exercise is an important member of the supporting cast, when you're ready for it...

hugs
    HAHAHA yes PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ME...ALWAYS the best advice hehehe

I believe IP just knows that people don't usually know an "in-between" mode... they are either all gong ho about working out and sweating and go crazy or sit at home do nothing... considering the low calories in the program they rather you do the later... and then incorporate the activity... I was told no working out for the first two weeks and then to start but moderately.... and stay in the heart rate zones above mentioned. The only way you can burn more is by moving. They can't reduce the calories more plus your body adapts to just about everything after a while so you need to tweak it.

It's simple math...calories in vs Calories Out... you can't eat less calories because your body needs it to run properly. Even just sitting down your body requires and burns a certain amount of calories per day. SO the trick is to move and burn the extra ones... or you can also go into starvation mode and that is no fun because our smart bodies KNOW they need a supply to survive and seeing as how you are not giving it enough calories then it starts holding on to the ones you do consume for dear life and not letting them go. Same happens with water by the way... the less you drink the more you retain (again, smart bodies do what they can to survive). The other thing is that they want you to see change and muscle weighs more than fat (or more accurately said, fat is bulkier than muscle) so it tends to scare people... HOWEVER, muscle BURNS fat and you need it for many reasons, including to protect your bones... yup, weight lifting aids in the battle against Osteoporosis. We should all incorporate some weight lifting into our routines...especially women!

Here you can see the Muscle VS Fat SIZE to illustrate my point

So, how many daily calories are burned by one pound of muscle? The answer is---35 to 50 calories!

I had clients at the gym who would focus on the scale so much and say "but my weight hasn't dropped that much" but when asked about their clothing size they would say "weird because that I am much smaller" see? All of us should focus more on the inches and sizes and less on the weight... The scale is a tool to gauge things but it is not the end all....perfect example, for me, before I ever was a trainer and even went to a gym, at a size 6 I weighed like 130lbs... when I was a trainer and a size 6 I was 150lbs or so! and I looked SO MUCH BETTER because I was toned and lean.

Ideal Protein is awesome because it restricts the carbs forcing your body to use the stored fat as energy... you will see the results faster that way. And provides the protein to make and sustain LEAN MUSCLE... which in turn burns more fat. See how that works?

Here are also a few bullet points about women and muscle
    * After puberty your essential muscle growth is over and your muscle starts to deteriorate.
    * As you age you lose muscle. “If you don’t use it, you lose it.”
    * The act of pregnancy further accelerates your muscle loss. The amount of protein your baby needs to develop requires the baby to steal protein (muscle) from you!
    * Dieting and aerobic exercise without strength training causes muscle loss.
    * Pre-menopausal, menopausal and post menopausal women have lower hormone levels causing accelerated muscle loss.
    * Weight training re-builds your lost muscle.
    * Women who weight train won’t increase their muscle size much, just their muscle’s density and strength. So forget the fear of “bulking up”

Also let me clear out something... unless you have an accident that requires removal of tissue you don't lose muscle or fat cells... they either shrink or expand... you want to strengthen the muscle cells and help you burn the bad fat... the cells are there, just smaller ;-) so you can ALWAYS bring back muscle. So do it now!
  • Quote: HAHAHA yes PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ME...ALWAYS the best advice hehehe
    Well there you go... brilliant post. Thanks!
  • Quote: Well there you go... brilliant post. Thanks!
    hehehe... thank you

LISTEN TO ME! hahahaha
  • Excellent post Elizabeth !!!!
  • Quote: hehehe... thank you

LISTEN TO ME! hahahaha
    You rock.... thank you for sharing your knowledge with us, I for one really appreciate it, I have never been one with the working out so I have to remind myself to do it and then remind myself how good it is for me while I am doing it, soon it will be habit!!!!
  • Quote: HAHAHA yes PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ME...ALWAYS the best advice hehehe

you want to strengthen the muscle cells and help you burn the bad fat... the cells are there, just smaller ;-) so you can ALWAYS bring back muscle. So do it now!
    I knew you come through for us, Elizabeth!.. you made some excellent points about strength training... I used to concentrate more on cardio, but now it's just a minor player compared to strength training... it's not always easy to find the right balance, but it can be done...

Thanks for a SUPER post!..

A good article on About.com... Why You Need to Exercise

hugs
  • Quote: The scale is a tool to gauge things but it is not the end all....perfect example, for me, before I ever was a trainer and even went to a gym, at a size 6 I weighed like 130lbs... when I was a trainer and a size 6 I was 150lbs or so! and I looked SO MUCH BETTER because I was toned and lean.
    I agree - VERY, VERY helpful. Your post is helping me refocus. I've been frustrated with the scale (1 lb in 2 weeks) and my waist measurement has not moved an inch!

However, all my pants are looser and I can actually see a difference in my legs, arms and, most importantly, my backside!! I can tell that fat is disappearing and I'm seeing more lean muscle. So, I think exercise is going to be key for me to see faster improvement. I'm adding back in yoga (for my back) and some light weight training and walking this week as soon as my new gym opens tomorrow! I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your great advise and thanks to everyone else for sharing their success, frustrations and journey!
  • [QUOTE=deinekatze;3421757]I believe IP just knows that people don't usually know an "in-between" mode... they are either all gong ho about working out and sweating and go crazy or sit at home...QUOTE]

Thanks Elizabeth for the wonderful information (and so clearly written for my LCB )!

Question for you: I've recently added strength training (but only my arms/chest) to my exercise routine of pilates, running and mountain biking. I'm considering adding strength training specifically targeting my legs, but am wondering if my leg muscles are already being worked enough through the cardio I'm doing. (When I run it's on varied terrain and biking is 50/50 hills and flat. I have leg "issues" (don't like the flab!!!) and want/need some desperate toning done on them, but am having a hard time knowing how much is enough. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance!
  • [QUOTE=makeitmatter;3424769]
    Quote: I believe IP just knows that people don't usually know an "in-between" mode... they are either all gong ho about working out and sweating and go crazy or sit at home...QUOTE]

Thanks Elizabeth for the wonderful information (and so clearly written for my LCB )!

Question for you: I've recently added strength training (but only my arms/chest) to my exercise routine of pilates, running and mountain biking. I'm considering adding strength training specifically targeting my legs, but am wondering if my leg muscles are already being worked enough through the cardio I'm doing. (When I run it's on varied terrain and biking is 50/50 hills and flat. I have leg "issues" (don't like the flab!!!) and want/need some desperate toning done on them, but am having a hard time knowing how much is enough. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance!
    No, you are not "over doing it" for your legs if you add weight training to them, I actually think you would benefit so much! You are using you legs a bunch so they really could use the muscle build too. Go for it! Do resistance training on your legs 2 to 3 times per week, you should see results with that
  • Tracking Progress
    A little set up - I've been pretty stalled in actual scale weight loss. I can see improvement in areas but that scale has been stuck for WEEKS - 1 lb in 3 weeks!! (TOM was in there) I have been entertaining thoughts of quitting IP - thinking it just wasn't working for me though its very successful for many of you.

But over the last couple days, I've added in VERY light exercise - walking the dogs 1 mile, riding the bike with the kids, as many sit ups as I could stand (not that many), some very light squats, push ups, etc. And, it MOVED! 2 lbs!!

I'm feeling a little more optimistic and even more relieved. So, I will continue the activity, amping it up gradually so I don't over do it and will continue to monitor loss with exercise.
  • Quote: A little set up - I've been pretty stalled in actual scale weight loss. I can see improvement in areas but that scale has been stuck for WEEKS - 1 lb in 3 weeks!! (TOM was in there) I have been entertaining thoughts of quitting IP - thinking it just wasn't working for me though its very successful for many of you.

But over the last couple days, I've added in VERY light exercise - walking the dogs 1 mile, riding the bike with the kids, as many sit ups as I could stand (not that many), some very light squats, push ups, etc. And, it MOVED! 2 lbs!!

I'm feeling a little more optimistic and even more relieved. So, I will continue the activity, amping it up gradually so I don't over do it and will continue to monitor loss with exercise.
    EXCELLENT NEWS! as they say, It works if you work it!!!!

you will feel so much better, day by day! Happy for you