300+ Weekly Thread #1157

You're on Page 2 of 12
Go to
  • Sending hugs to everyone. Exhausted so I will skip personals. Lots of fresh air walking and 3 kids playing baseball tonight. So I paced between 3 dimonds checking everyone out! Only 6 more weeks of that! Still working on my paper purge. oldest DS is not pleased as emptying the recycling is his job! Oh dear but I will be organized if it kills me! Sweet calorie free dreams everyone!
  • Good evening all,

My day's plan went south this morning. I had everything planned out, including a trip to the garden center after lunch. After breakfast I called to see if they had what I was looking for, and got a tentative yes from the one furthest away. She said they had them in stock, but they sold more than half over the weekend. So I decided to just get cleaned up and go then. My mother went with me (we're kind of dangerous in garden centers together) and we got 4 purple royalty raspberries (what I went for), rhubarb, and a lovely hanging chenille plant. (http://www.tropgard.com/plant_profiles/chenille.htm)

I did manage to get most of my planned exercise in after I got back, although I did end the day 15 mins short (oh well). I also got the raspberries planted and started turning over the bed we cleaned out last week. I'm so looking forward to my rest week (from the lifting program), and I think I may cut my other exercises out as well starting Thursday. Maybe just aim for 30-mins of swimming laps daily.

BattleAx - hunger can really rear its ugly head, can't it. Glad to hear that you've got yours under control.

Realist - I was saying somewhere else today that I'm kind of tempted to suggest that people multiply drive-thru calories by an extra 25% (to discourage them from using it to fill up their daily calories). Everyone is different, but for me, it's a habit I needed to break. I don't think I'll ever be the type that can eat fast food every once in a while and keep it in check. You can have a lot of food for 2000 cals, you don't need to nibble on salad all the time. Good luck though on getting under 350!

Julia -
    I've come to the point where I really only plan exercise 5 days a week. I think if you do well the rest of the week then Sat/Sun can be spent doing fun things with the family. Well, unless you want the planned exercise to get you some 'me' time.

Debbie - that beach goal has been changed. I don't know why, but I just don't like the idea of adding housework into exercise minutes. No matter what people say, it feels like cheating. I suspect it's because I did housework even at my top weight, whereas the other exercising I do now has been added. Good luck on getting into the 270s. I was hoping that I might reach 100 pounds lost this week, but after a decent loss week (2.2) I'm not sure I can pull a 2.4 this week. Ah well, it will be the week after instead.

Annie - sounds like season's tickets are in your future. Even if not, it sounds like you had a great day. Costco can be a dangerous place to shop.

TheWalrus - hey, congrats on getting the cast off, even if for just a little while.

Debi -
    it sounds like you had a good day as well. I agree, tanned skin looks better. Although I know all the risks, and wear sunscreen, but I like to get a little colour in the summer.

Jen -
    I think the book is based on a column in Men's Health magazine. I don't know if the book is more information or not, but here's the website. http://www.menshealth.com/eatthis/index.php

Xena - I was thinking of something like an iTunes giftcard - which of course is only a good thing if she has an iPod. Of all the suggestions I've seen I really like Catherine's suggestion of the pen. Someone gave me a pen (long story, but it was a tartan one) that I used for many years. I was quite sorry to see it disappear while working somewhere.

Well, that's me caught up from this morning. Hope everyone is having a good, on plan, start to the week.
  • Animals
    I may get backlash for this post. But I must post it anyway. I love animals. I have had a cat for 13 years, and pets during my childhood as well. They are so loving, the want to please, and they don't talk back. A few years ago my husband and I used to go to dog races on occasion. I loved watching the dogs. Well, once when we went, a dog broke his leg during the race. I couldn't stand watching after that, I was so sad for that dog. All he wanted to do was please his trainer (and catch the bone). What brings this up? Eight Belles. I don't own horses, so I can't say if they are or are not born to run. But let them run in a nice pasture, not a race track. Happy one moment, euthanized the next. The horses don't win, the owners do. And I just can't stand that. I am not saying the owners don't feel a loss, but the animal is losing it's life. I should be a vegetarian, I really should. At this moment, I am ashamed I am not.
  • Oh ya to note on exercise = housework. I think if feels like cheating too. But have compromised to add only wall washing as exercise since I really work up a sweat doing that. The key is to do it fast and hard. And with my 3 and 3 or 4 babysitting kids the walls must get done often!
  • Housework?! pfft, I don't do it. Muhahahahahaha! (or do as little as I can).

EbolaGirl is gone and now I just have some leftover crud. It should be gone in a few days. I'll do a nyquil shooter before bed for the next coupla days and antibiotic for the next 8.

Someone at work suggested we rollerblade at lunch. Sooooooo, never one to turn down a challenge....I have new rollerblades! Wish me luck.. hehe. It is from YOU LADIES that I have learned that life is here to be lived! I shall give a full report soon.

Hugs and Luv all!
    Luv,
    Ratkitten
  • Realist - Hey, I am right there with ya, sister. It tore my heart out watching the clip of her going down on the news this morning. And I hate the term they use for this occurence. They interviewed trainers about how often this happens and they referred to it as "breaking down" on the track. It's a living creature, for crying out loud, not an old jalopy. I am sure someone can tell me I am ignorant of the sport and I will admit to that. But I can't help but see it as another example of humans exploiting animals for their own amusement and monetary gain. One of the trainers compared a race horse to an elite athlete sayiing that those athletes get hurt as well when they train at high levels. Sure, that is true, but the athlete got to make that choice for himself/herself to live that life and train that hard. These horses don't get a choice, do they?

GAH! Can you tell this strikes a nerve?
  • You all are one busy bunch today - can't begin to catch up!

On the housework/gardening front - I don't count anything as exercise that I would do anyway - for me it wouldn't be any change of behavior which is what I am trying to accomplish with exercise.

What great ideas you all gave Xena - gotta remember when the times comes. So now I'll ask - DH's niece is graduating from college this week - high school dropout, married young (still married), worked full time, two teen age girls - she is graduating cum laude - we are so proud of her. Only thing that comes to mind is cash but I know she'll just use it on bills and really want something to celebrate her accomplishment.

Angie - I'm with you on the animal front. BTW - congrats on the great work!

Rat - I can't wait to see who's next - first biker chick, then ebola girl - sneak preview please?

Move your bodies, drink your water and SMILE.

Hugs to all,
    Carol
  • I had a mammogram today. As flat chested as I am, I hardly see the point, but since my mom, aunt, and both greataunts had breast cancer, doctors want me to have them practically twice a year. So, I am sore in places that I'd rather not be sore in. The women in my family get the slow-growing, after the age of 70, everyone survives kind, so I'm grateful for that. I just told himself to enjoy them while he can because the women in my family don't actually own them, we kind of just rent them.

I have had so much trouble getting back on track. I go through periods like this, but I think this time it is because of the CBT therapy. He is dragging up some stuff that I have avoided for a long time. I know that in the long run, I will be healthier to deal with this stuff finally, but it is kind of like cleaning a closet out. You know eventually it's going to be clean, but in the meantime, it is just going to be a mess. I know that there is no way for me to ever get this weight off until I divest myself of all the emotional weight on my shoulders.
  • Rat: Please wear every type of guard available for rollerblading. I lost 2 years out of my life with a shattered elbow as a result of my rollerblading experience. 2 surgeries, 2 years of constant pain, lost career opportunities. The first surgeon I went to told me I'd never have use of my arm again. I do, but it ain't what it used to be. I'm not saying avoid rollerblading, but please do take as many precautions as you can.

Realist: When I first started my plan, my food choices weren't the best. The first couple of days I spent most of my calorie budget on a huge cheeseteak and fries. Over time I was able to tweak my eating little by little, to where it is now. It's important to congratulate yourself for what you are doing.

Julia: Fresh air walking is good! Any way you can incorporate movement into your life is good.

Anne: Sounds like you had a good day shopping and gardening. I'm waiting for your ticker to move to the 100 lb. point.

Xena and Idealist: Yes, I have a problem too with animals suffering and dying basically for entertainment. I am not opposed to eating meat at all, but want the animals to be treated humanely. Any use of animals not tied to a need (food, clothing, etc.) is upsetting to me, and I won't support it.

Carol: for a gift, how about a gift card to a nice restaurant, or fun activity that she enjoys (concert, park, spa, hotel, etc.)

Debbie: I know you will get to the next decade very soon. You've really been working it.

Annie: Oh my goodness, I have tears in my eyes picturing you at the park, doing all those things that were completely out of the question a year ago. You are living life!

Walrus: Yay on the cast news!

Debi: I wouldn't know what a tan looks like. I am stuck with ghostly pallor. I burn at the drop of a hat, and am allergic to the self tanners. Bright white is my only color.
  • Well just wanted to stop in and let you all know that even after a not so great week I lost 1lb today!

37 lbs loss so far!!!
  • Good morning Peeps - I'm with Bernice - just a quick stop this morning - I am down another 3/4 pound. I'm on top of the world. Yes I'm a slow loser but this is so much better than a plateau. Even with the slow poke mode I'm nearing the 80's. Maybe I'll whoosh again soon.

Move your bodies, drink your water and SMILE.

Hugs,
    Carol
  • G'morning!

Just a quickie flyby... a reassurance that I shall be decked out like the michelin man in padding while I try my feet at rollerblading!!! It might not be today I try it, but I'm ready.

Hugs,
    Ratkity
  • Good Morning!

Just checking in. I feel weird after being gone so long, but I need to POST here! I do read everyday, but its not the same. I find it easier to disconnect and not stay completely OP when I do this. Avoidance is an issue for me. At least I know I do that...and I am working on it!

I had a really good week, other than Sunday where I kind of veered off track but got right back on Monday AM. I think this has been my problem my entire life. Not getting right back on track the next day or the next meal. I am a work in progress!!

Gotta get to work! Have a great day.
  • morning chickes...

Well the YMCA didnt happen yesterday.UGH!! They dont have my membership info done. BUT today she said I can bring in the email and use the facilities. It has been so friggin hot here..UGH!! I wanted the pool last night. Today they are calling for high of 86 whoohoo and chance of rain..What the heck!!! Go figure the day I can use the pool it is suppose to rain. PEACHY!! lol BUT ya know arizona will probably zoom right past us.

The "friend" that flaked out on me keeps asking "so how did the pool go" and oh did you go today? My guess is she is being mean...like taunting me i suppose. She hears me tell the other ladies in my office about why I didnt go but she seems to make a big ta do about asking me later that day. I think I am going to ask for a door to my cubical LOL!! Yeah right

I did get ALOT of water in me yesterday. I didnt even have a soda at work. Frankly I am getting tired of soda..OMG did i say that!!

Toodles peeps,
    Work is screaming my name
  • Good Morning to all!!!
    This is my first day off work. NOT sure whether to be excited or not. I have so much house cleaning to do! Yeah for me! I got the girls out the door to school and then took the dog for a walk. Yes a dog! Yes the family decided on a dog a week ago. I am not too sure right now as we had talked off and on about one but the cat rules the house. So right now it is new and fun for the girls taking him out and playing with him. But I know the newness will wear off and who do you think will end up taking care of him! ME! Yes, I am trying to look at it in a positive manner that I can go on "walks" with him. This will help me get exercise in, right. So far it is working. I just have to get all my water back in. I had it there up till a couple weeks ago when I found out I was going to be off for a while and slipped up on it. I know I have to. Beautiful day here today, it is supposed to be 80*. Then the rest of the week in the 60's. We are hoping to go camping this weekend. I hope the weather will be good.

I just wanted to check in and say hi. You are all doing great! I will try and do some personals later. Have a great day all!!