Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Default Sodium (Salt)...How much is too much..Does it cause Weight Stalls?

I've been really getting some excellent advice from bodybuilders (who's better at knowing what it takes to lose fat)! One point this dude made was that most people are getting too much sodium in their diets and that cardio will not sweat off enough water and you will hold that water in your cells = more weight!!! We are only supposed to have the equivalent of 1 tsp sodium (2400 mg) per day!!! When I calculated my daily sodium intake...it was more than twice that amount!! Geeezzzze! One can of tuna has 400 mgs in it. I normally have 2 cans with mayo, relish, onions, etc.... He recommended buying some lower sodium seasonings and foods and keeping tabs on this.

Just wanted to know how much sodium do you have per day and how it has effected you?
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely have more than the recommended 2400mg sodium per day. I've cut back, but it's still higher. I figure your body can only hold so much water (unless you are swelling to an unnatural degree, in which case you need to seek medical attention), so even if I'm retaining water, I can still be losing fat. I think it owuld only make a drastic difference if you went from not eating much sodium to eating a lot, but if you've ben eating about a consistent amount (whether it be high, low, or in between), then I don't think sodium is to blame.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambifox View Post
One can of tuna has 400 mgs in it. I normally have 2 cans with mayo, relish, onions, etc.... He recommended buying some lower sodium seasonings and foods and keeping tabs on this.
I wonder if you are really taking in 400 mgs? meaning I'm sure the water thats in the tuna you drain out must remove some of the sodium that you would eat, also.... if your weighing the actual meat you are getting from a 6 oz can, your really only getting 2 - 3 oz...... so I would think I'm getting 1/2 of what they are saying (I always wash my tuna too)

Check it out...squeeze all the water from the tuna (with your hands) and see what you actually get. I normally buy Bumble Bee brand.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #4  
banned

Good point Leenie...your right about that..didn't think of it that way. But what do you think about the average person getting too much salt? Do you think this max. salt requirement applies to low-carbers since low carb, high protein when combined produce a natural diuretic effect? Thanks for your input. Joyce
Old 03-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
(I always wash my tuna too)

Check it out...squeeze all the water from the tuna (with your hands) and see what you actually get. I normally buy Bumble Bee brand.
I'm very fussy about tuna, I only buy the solid white tuna packed in water. I can't stand brown tuna!! And I'm like you Leenie, I wash it too. I squeeze all the water out of it when i open it and then I put it in a strainer & I rinse and rinse it.

I eat tuna salad everyday for lunch with my salad. I make my tuna salad with 1 6oz can of tuna and eat half one day & half the next day.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Bambi I don't know enough about salt to say that it applies to low carbers or not... I think in general it should apply to everyone, no matter what diet plan you are following.... also I think exercise plays a major roll in how much salt an individual needs to take in I would think some one who sweats alot during exercise obviously needs more than a couch potato like me.

Does Dr. Atkins say anything about salt...geeze I can't remember, I'll have to find my book.

My doctor once told me that unless you have hypertension or a heart condition you (meaning me) really don't have to worry about salt.

So my final answer would be.... if your worried, or have questions.... ask your doctor because only he/she can make that decision for you.

Kim...... I like tuna washed and washed and squeezed and squeezed LOL, if its watery it kinda makes me sick lol. You know what else is great...if you have left over salmon ... make salmon salad out of it with mayo and what ever else you like YUMMM is that good.

I find that when I steam my salmon it loses all that fishy taste (and it doesn't smell in my house) as compared to when I bake it.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Totally agree with the others . . .

(a) -- buy packed in water
(b) -- drain thoroughly (my cat loves the tuna flavoured water)
(c) -- rinse and drain again

. . . you'll get rid of a lot of the salt that way.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #8  
banned

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I like the idea of rinsing the tuna...as well as buying the solid (I presume that would be easier to rinse). However, I am going to take measures to reduce my sodium intake as I think lower sodium = less water retension (in our cells/muscles as well). I hear that they make a salt without sodium. Going shopping today and going to give this a try. Also heard that Ms. Dash is really good for seasoning. So, I'll add that to my voluminous array of herbs and spices! Thanks again. Joyce
Old 03-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambifox View Post
Also heard that Ms. Dash is really good for seasoning.
I use Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb in my tuna salad with a little Old Bay.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote