Old 09-16-2007, 06:57 AM   #1  

Default The Beauty of Zig-Zagging Calories

I am calorie counting with good success and I have found that zig-zagging is really an awesome way to do a calorie-counting diet. My daily calorie level for losing weight is set at 1800/day, but instead of eating 1800 every day, my daily calorie amounts for a week are broken down like this:

All of these amounts add up to the same weekly total as if I ate 1800/day, however, zig-zagging has a few benefits. First, it keeps my body from getting too used to any one calorie level so I haven't been plateauing. And even better, having those 2 higher calorie days in there (2000, 3000) allows me to plan for parties, dinners out, or simply days when I want to splurge a little and not feel so much like I am dieting. This is working out great because it's keeping me from feeling deprived. If I am having a weak day where I feel I will "lose it" and go off the wagon, I just remind myself that a nice splurge day is just around the corner and it helps me stay on board.'

What I have been doing is every Sunday I look at my upcoming week to see what eating events are coming up and plug my calorie amounts in to accommodate them. So far it's working great for me and has been the only diet I have been able to stick with. I've lost about 30 pounds so far. I still have a way to go, but I know I can do it because this diet feels manageable to me. The lower-cal days are a little difficult, but they are worth it to have the higher cal days in there where I can let loose a little.

Just thought I would share this with you all.
Sassygirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #2  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

If you don't mind me asking- is there a website that helped you figure out your calories.

thanks
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:10 PM   #3  
I am Resilient

S/C/G: 227/ticker/160

Height: 5'10''

I'm not the original poster, so I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread! But I ran across this website recently, maybe it'd help you out? You plug in a few things and it'll give you your daily caloric needs as well as zig zag your calories for you based on your goals (maintenance, fat loss, or extreme fat loss).

Note: I'm new and haven't posted 10 times yet, so here's how you access the site. Freedieting . com (no spaces), click on calculators on the right hand side and then click on calorie calculator. Hope this helps!
kmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

I've kind of been doing that same thing. Especially a few months ago when I hit a plateau. I spent a few days eating way too much and when I got back on track, whammo, plateau over. Since then my daily calorie intake is NEVER the same and as long as I'm staying OP the scale will show a loss just about every day. Though, I haven't been great at staying OP lately.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #5  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I used to count by the day, but nowadays I go week by week as well. I consider that as long as my weekly average isn't above, say, 1300-1400, it doesn't matter if one day was a 1800 day and the other a 1200. I don't always have control on my food, and my only option on such days is then to reduce my portions, but proceeding this way has at least the side-effect of not making me think "I've failed" if I have a 'bad day' (boy, do I hate such words, isn't there better ones?), because I now I can counter-balance it during the week-end or another day.

Besides, certain external stimuli can make me very hungry (as in real hunger, not head hunger), for instance when the temperature drops by 10°C in two days; varying my caloric intake also allows me to eat more on those days, and then to have a lower day later on, once my body is used to the 'new temperature', so to say. (Of course, if this goes on for weeks, I have to adapt, but for 2-3 days, it's okay, and I don't have to worry my head over it too much.) And, no need to explain it for hours, it also leaves room for unexpected social situations in which I might 'crack up' and still eat that slice of cake.

In any case, it allowes me to lose slowly but steadily. Well, to lose the couple of pounds I've regained, that is. Working on that, working on that.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #6  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Zig Zagging calories has always worked for me when I have done it. Plus, it allows you some "cheating" days without it really being cheating
Jennie527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies,
This is a great thread. I just started counting calories around 23 days ago and have lost a whopping 13 pounds! Of course I have a lot to lose (check ticker), but it's the first food plan I've ever done on my own and love the freedom of it.

I went to that website that figures your calorie intake (can't think of the name right now) and supposedly I can eat 2300 a day and still lose 2 pounds a week. I just can't eat that many calories in wholesome foods so I've been staying around 1500 or so. But upping it once or twice a week is probably a good idea - I had never really thought about that!
Thanks!
Lori
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kery View Post
I used to count by the day, but nowadays I go week by week as well. I consider that as long as my weekly average isn't above, say, 1300-1400, it doesn't matter if one day was a 1800 day and the other a 1200. I don't always have control on my food, and my only option on such days is then to reduce my portions, but proceeding this way has at least the side-effect of not making me think "I've failed" if I have a 'bad day' (boy, do I hate such words, isn't there better ones?), because I now I can counter-balance it during the week-end or another day.
That's EXACTLY what I have started doing. I am trying so hard to rid myself of my black/white...on/off mentality, so I have started paying less attention to my daily goal of 1800 and focusing on a weekly average of 1800 or so. That way even if I go over by 1000 calories one day - my weekly average is really only about 1880 and that's OK. I am hoping it will keep me from going completely off plan when I make a bad choice.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote