40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 65 of 81
Go to
  • Picture this: the door to the nearest office restroom is exactly 28 steps from my desk chair. It's closed, 2nd day now, for "repairs".

There is another restroom one floor up (28 steps per floor), another one floor down (28 steps per floor), another down the hall, another up the hall (the farthest away).

I'm having one of those water weight release weeks. Apparently so are the two gals who sit nearest me. You should see us, we charge out of our cubes, head for the restroom, realize it's closed and have to decide on the spot -- can our bladders in their current state stand to go up or down stairs? Or do we attempt a fast walk/slow run down the stupid hall? We're charging through that restroom door like our butts are on fire! Heaven help whomever is in the first blessed stall!

I should put on my pedometer, this could be quite the workout today!
  • Correction -- Either staircase is the exact same overall distance from my cube. Going down when you REALLY have to go is a REALLY, REALLY bad idea! Thank heaven I have gym pants at my desk . . . don't ask, it's definitely TMI!
  • Kappy given the choice I'd go with the one down the hall.

Stairs and running to the loo are not a good combination.
  • Kappy, I'm picturing it and feeling for ya girl. Hang in there it's almost the weekend.

Clyde, I know how you feel. Our school district does the darndest things when it comes to school closings. Early in the season we'll bearly get a covering and they call it off or at least a late start. I'm thinking what the, this is WI people. We drive in snow. Later in the season, when we've used up our allotted snow days they send the kids in unsafe conditions. So far we have just one day that has to be made up in June. In June, that sounds so rediculous. When I was young, a hundred years ago or so, we never went to school in June. Alas, WI Dells having cheap high school labor through Labor Day is more important than getting the kids back to school in Aug. Ok, that turned into a bit of a rant. I hope all's well and the snow stays south of the border.

Ward, Glad to hear you're feeling better. I wouldn't worry much about the gain. Sicky pounds never stay long when you get back on track right away like you have.

I myself am feeling frickin' awesome!!! We have had BRIGHT sunshine for 3 days in a row. I picked up some different yoga and pilates tapes from the inter-library loan and I'm lovin' 'em. Well, the yoga anyway. The pilates, please, abs of fluff, maybe even fluff 'n stuff, but I don't have to hold onto my pants, AS LONG, to sit up as I was 2 weeks ago lol Busy with basketball tomorrow...good luck to the pom squad.
    Oh happy days!!!
    Love me some sun!!!
    No I haven't been drinking,yet, just soaking uo those oh so warm rays!!
  • lovn
    You are to funny. I got to watch the neighbors fight Thur their living room window last night. You know, if you don't want people to notice, maybe your voices shouldn't be so loud they can be heard over in the neighbors enclosed porch lol.

Slash
    Sometimes it just takes time to get better. You take it easy and give your body time. My daughter is so much like me and yet nothing like me.

Clyde
    Was the same here. Everyone was out of school but our kids. That happens all the time. Very seldom does this school district call school off.

Ward
    You will get back to where you want to be. Keep good thought and keep saying to yourself " I really don't want to eat that"

kappy
    I would die. lol One of the basic requirements for anywhere I work is not how much I make but how close a rest room is lol.
  • My little girl is next to me passed out on Benadryl. She's had a pretty high fever on and off for days. Apparently this crud lasts about a week. I'm feeling better, but still not much appetite. Makes me feel a little weak, but I'm glad I feel better than I have in days.

We've been catching up on our favorite family movies. Since Disney gags me with all there tween movies, we watched The Wiz and The Gods Must be Crazy. I've tried to introduce my 7 year old to stuff like Home Alone, The Muppet Movies, the old Freaky Friday and Beatlejuice. She LOVES them. They are so much more creative that what is out there now. Besides, Hanna Montana has enough of my money!!

I love positive people and positive energy. I always think that you get back from the universe what you put out there.

Headed out of town for one day as we have to take a family portrait (there are like 30 of us total in just my immediate family - kids, spouses, etc). We rarely are all together in one place, but dad's birthday is coming up and so is my 2 year birthday of my transplant. I'm going to be taking it easy and smiling cheesy!

Y'all take care. Keep up the good work!!
  • It's 5 below zero this morning, but the sun is bright and clear already, yippee. DH ended up getting the entire day off from work so he's left with the boys for basketball. Both boys play at the same school this morning. Oldest plays at 8am and the school's about a 45 min drive away. Up early and out the door full of eggs, toast, and fruit. That should stay with them. This means I got the easy basketball today. DD plays her first game at 9:30am right at our own school. Woo hoo. The cold and snow has kept me from seeing friends, accept at church, for a couple weeks now. I'm glad to be getting out. We got really exciting news yesterday. The Knights of Columbus hold a knowledge challenge for spelling and math each year. For the first round the test is given to all 5th - 8th grade students in 4 schools. Both my DS and DD scored the highest in their age group and are continuing on. The second round is next weekend in Plover,WI. Last year our oldest daughter and DS went on to the second round. DD was knocked out, but DS went on to win State for his age. This year it's the younger daughter!!! I couldn't be more proud. DS will be missing his last basketball tournament to take the test next week, but he's more likely to do something in life that requires math than play in the NBA!!! So, I'm going to do 3 miles on the TM this morning, visit with friends, and just have a nice day.

JZ, Healthy vibes your way!

Susan, You do realise that we enjoyed your positive self here at the 40 somethings? Bring on the love girl!!
  • Lovn: That's awesome about your kids. That's a good thing for them to excel in! Sometimes you have to choose between sports and other things. It's just good to have them interested in more than just sports.

Hang in there Jane. I know how frustrating it can be to have sickness set you back. The flu strains around here have been knocking a lot of people down and it has been taking weeks to get over it. I still think that if we can get some spring weather, life will be better!

Kappy: Loved your story. We only have one restroom on the floor where I work and it is very close to me. Our problem is that we have a lot of women using it and it is a one stall restroom. The other one is down one floor. Not too bad, but inconvenient!

We have an early basketball game this morning, 8:30. So, we're all having to get up and get going earlier than we usually want to for a Saturday. But that's ok. We'll live through it! Lots of little projects to do this weekend along with the laundry, groceries, etc.

Hope you all have a good weekend!
  • lovn
    That is terrific. Anytime kids try that is important. I think it is nice your children have so many interests.

Jane
    My kids never watched what everyone else was watching lol. I was always very careful what they watched. I remember when their favorites were beetle juice ( with the BLEEP put in of course and hocus pocus ).
  • Lovn, you must be so proud! Of course I like to hear any compliment about my children, but I love to hear when someone says they are smart.

Jane, my kids love to watch Boomerang (old cartoons). I had to stop them though, once I saw how violent they all are (and sexist)! I grew up on them but I think I can do better for them.

Tonight my husband is taking our daughter (she's 5) to an "owl prowl". It's a ranger guided night hike in a river-side national recreation area. She's mad excited about the campfire and marshmallow roasting. I wish we could all go, but my son has been sick and he doesn't need to be out in the cold or around too many people right now. Plus it ends quite a bit past their bedtime.

Oh - fitness related - I went to the gym today and did a pretty much back to normal work-out. I feel good so far, but my friend asked me if I want to go run six miles with her tomorrow morning. I think that might be pushing it a little, but I won't know unless I try, right?

I hope everyone's having a fun week-end.
  • Well no competition today as they have already qualified in both categories for super sectionals which are next weekend. They have to do well in that to get to state. Plus they have 2 basketball games to perform at.

So we went shopping as I had to buy birthday presents. It was crazy out there almost felt like christmas shopping. There was so much traffic and crazy driving. Unbelievable 2 days of bad weather and everybody goes shopping. Had to come home after buying 1 thing as my youngest had an upset stomach again. She's lying down in the living room now. Maybe I will try again tomorrow.

I have to exercise now will let you know how it goes.
  • I dug out my Biggest Loser exercise dvd Oh boy that was hard work, I haven't done that in over a year. My legs are sore and I only did the low intensity workout. That Bob works you really hard.
  • I'm guilty of letting my children watch almost anything. Within reason of course. I watch with them and explain as it goes. I can't control what they see at friend's homes so I guess I'd rather they see it through my eyes first. Does this mean they'll be drinking with me first too? No, that they'll have to brave on their own. Unless of course I'm lucky enough that they waite until they're 21.

Ward, the "owl prowl" sounds awesome. We have a couple State Parks within 30 min of us that offer things like that. My children's favorites are the reptile and astronomy nights. Years ago we attended one where someone had donated a mess of blue bird house kits. Each child got to make one and take it home. Those 2 houses have given us so much pleasure over the years. Let us know how your run goes.

Clyde, I miss understood. I thought your daughter had a pom comp this weekend. It's always nice to have an off weekend. It's too bad your youngest isn't feeling well. I Hope she's better today. Great job getting the exercise in. I plan my exercise a month in advance. Like a challenge. It's really the only way I will do it. I've been adding in yoga and pilates. I'm not sure which exercise is doing it, but my inner thighs have been killing me for 2 days. I actually use my hands to help myself cross my legs LOL Oddly, they don't hurt when I'm exercising!?!?!?! We're getting it done and that's what matters.

Me, I'm cooking for about 100 people today. I stuck with a simple menu. Ham, baked potato, corn, salad, dinner roll, and drinks. So, it's more of a warm up and dump out type of meal. Luckily, the fellowship hall is busy until about 2pm so we can't hold our Scout banquet until 4pm. That gives me all day to get things ready. DD acolyted in church last night so we all went with her, freeing up my morning. I'm scheduled to walk 2 miles today, but I'm going to try for more since I have the time. The hubby and youngest son have to make a red, white, and blue dessert. They're planning to make 2 Kraft cheese cake mixes, topped with blue berry and cherry pie filling to make the blue field and red stripes of the flag and then they will be adding whipped spray cream for stars and white stripes. Hmmm, how many miles does a mom have to walk to rid herself of cheese cake calories??? The sun is shining again, but more snow in tonight and tomorrows forecast. Yippee! I can hardly waite. (That's dripping with sarcasm)
    Have a great Sunday ALL!
  • woohooo happy sunday everyone
    i have to admit i have an awesome husband...yesterday...even though he had tons of things to do, he spent the day with me...and we literally were couch potatoes all day long!
    halmark was airing the entire Love Comes Softly movies...and yes we watched them ALL! We made lunch and played cards! We had a little "carpet picnic"! haha All the while watching these good wholesome movies back to back. It was truly a chic flic day and what a trooper he was! As it got dark, I curled up on the couch with my head in his lap and he played with my hair..something I adore!

and to think....a few short years ago, I would have probably been watching these movies, crying and feeling sad and feeling ALL alone!

As they say...WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES!

So that brings me to the idea...where will YOU be ONE YEAR FROM NOW? Will you be at your goal? Will you have passed your goal and be maintaining? Will you still be toying with the idea of losing weight? Ask yourself today....WHERE WILL I BE IN MY NUTRITIONAL TAKE IN JOURNEY ONE YEAR FROM TODAY???

Lovn....100 people! 100 PEOPLE???? yikes! KUDOS to you lov...for doing an outstanding job! I have to say I am so loving you attitude...you start off with ...(It's 5 below zero this morning, but the sun is bright and clear already, yippee.) I'm impressed!! I dont' think I could function at 5 below! Stay chipper and soon your spring will be upon you!
    Keep "soakin" up those rays!!

Clyde, way to get busy to that BL dvd...I can't do that one its too hard right now for me! KUDOS to you !! How does your daughter like Poms??

Ward...I hate you ahd to miss the owl prowl, that sounded like so much fun...I'd like to go and my kids are all grown! haha did you make the 6 miles today?? I rode just over 6 miles on my bike and thought dang GO WARD...for being able to run that far!!! WTG!! wooppiieeeeeee

Slash...you sould so busy...i forgot how busy i was when the kids were younger...all the band practices, piano lessons, soccer games, softball games, three different schools...playing taxi...ughh...wow, KUDOS for even being able to make time for yourself in there!

shy...u crack me up with the miss marple and the glasses thingy!! somehow, i can picture you...hahaha

JZ...how did the 30 plus peeps pics go??? thats a llot of people to coordinate for a nice shot! GREAT bday idea! You said...I love positive people and positive energy. I always think that you get back from the universe what you put out there....and I so agree. I try to surround myself with positive people. I don't mind when we all have those moments when we need to share a trial or two...but It does bother me sometimes when people go on an on an I think, you are alive...be thankful. Its not the woe is me that is so bad, when its followed wth the but i can get myself up out of this feeling...or the I had a bad day...but tomorrow is another day and a clean slate....that makes all the difference I think. I love being positive. Sometimes...when things are tough, I just stand in awe because I know that God has something planned that I have NO idea about...and HE never lets me down!

kappy...can you say..porta potty in the cubicle! hahahahahahahaha

much love to you all...DH is cooking his traditional british roast ebef and yorkshire pudding meal....and I have the rest of the afternoon off!! Yipeeee

rainbowsmiles
  • rainbow
    Don't think I am kidding. If it happens around my house, I know about it lol. Not that I tell anyone but you all. I keep my info to myself most of the time. I do not gossip. It is the knowing not the telling that is fun. The guy across the street saw me at the mail box. He came over and said if I saw his daughter up to anything she shouldn't be up to would I let him know. I said buddy you really don't want me to do that. He said yes I do. I said ( lol ) three houses down, back yard, shed. He went down there I could hear him SHOWING her what he caught her doing wasn't ok all the way home HAHAHA. Guess if you are under 18 you shouldn't let papa catch you smoking.

lovn
    I sure hope you had some help. You didn't call, lol, so I guess you didn't need any more people to help you.