Old 02-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #1  
Live, Love, Laugh!

S/C/G: 263/255/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Please Advise: Cut out snacks in P2?

Hi Everyone,

I did the SBD in 2005 and lost 34 lbs in phase 2, but I never made it to phase 3.

Now I am back and wholeheartedly determined to make it to P3 4 life!

I just read an article on the Leptin Diet, and one of its rules states not snacking after dinner..

I have been force feeding myself the snacks believing it keeps the metabolism going -- but am wanting to eliminate snacks altogether.

Your thoughts will help me make a determination.

Thanks in advance for your help.

To US and Success in the Quest!

best,
b
bruniQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Hi B! Congrats on your previous success, and good luck on this new journey!

For me, I try to stay within a particular calorie range for the day. I find I have to watch calories (and get in exercise) to lose. I've just recently discovered the idea of eating more frequent, smaller meals, and that is working well for me now. I eat enough at each meal to not be hungry any more, but not so much that I feel satiated. I believe this approach has shrunk my stomach size somewhat, as I am content with less food at a time. I will "divide up" my previous breakfast over two meal times in the morning/late morning (fruit and protein and then fruit or veggie and grain) and then have a lunch around three (veggie with grain) and dinner around six or seven (protein and several servings of vegetables). I usually save a couple hundred calories (100-200) for a snack afer dinner, which usually takes the form of a nice piece of dark chocolate or a pudding or something sweet.

This has been working for me, but you'd have to actively monitor your calories I believe, so you are sure you're not eating too much at any one sitting. I could see myself sitting down to a "full" meal five times a day and ending up eating 5,000 calories or something!

Hope that helps!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #3  
Live, Love, Laugh!

Hi tomandkara,

thanks for your response. i do like the idea of saving those snack calories for after dinner! I've been averaging about 1100 calories a day (thank goodness for calorie tracking software) and exercising 3-5 times a week for a minimum of 25 minutes each.

thanks for your help!

best,
b
Old 02-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

B, I'm no professional...but all the recommendations I've heard say not to go under 1200 without professional approval. Has your doctor/nutritionist OK'd the 1100 calories? I believe the reason is that it's hard to get all of the nutrients you need on a consistent 1100 calories a day.

You're doing terrific! You just don't want to feel deprived (psychologically or physiologically) and then set off a binge.

Keep checking in!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #5  
Live, Love, Laugh!

you're right tomandkara -- for instance, today I didn't have my slice of turkey bacon as a snack after breakfast, or my egg white (1egg) after lunch and my calories were too low today. I'm going to add banana flavored low fat yogurt - yum.

Thanks,
best,
b

PS - I'm going to see my doctor this week - so we'll address it then. Thanks!

Last edited by bruniQ; 02-16-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

Default snacking

I do eat snacks and I think they are important for a couple reasons. One a stable blood sugar is more conducive to weight loss. Its best accomplished by frequent small meals and snacks. Whats more I think the spikes and falls in blood sugar and insulin levels are what cause the body to lay down and store fat both on the body and in the blood vessels.

. Two: It trains you to accept and be satisfied with small portions. This is conducive to maintenence.

Now you should also listen to your body. I don't really need a morning snack most of the time. Some days I don't want to eat in the evening. It probably means that I am maintaining stable insulin levels on what I ate at the meal. I'm fine with that.

I keep track of my calories religiously. This is so I don't creep out of the diet and increase portions.

Hope this helps.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote