Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: maintaining

Default Kale Salad (aka Flat Belly Salad)

From the Kansas City Star. You can read more about it and see the original here. My comments are in blue.

Flat Belly Salad

Makes 4 to 6 servings
  • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I found 4 T was enough for the bunches of kale I had.)
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed (I've read here about "massaging kale" so did this for about 3 minutes after the first salad attempt.)
  • 1 head red cabbage, diced (can buy pre-cut for convenience) (Too much to fit in the bowl so I did about half this.)
  • 1 bell pepper, green or red, cut into small chunks (I used yellow.)
  • 1 bunch cilantro, chopped (I'm not a fan so left it out.)
  • 1 red onion, chopped into small dice (Too strong for me even with less; I left it out completely after the first time.)
Mix oil and vinegar together. Toss salad with dressing and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to allow flavors to blend. The salad will keep in refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Variation: You can add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard (this is a MUST in my opinion; adds flavor otherwise missing), and low-sodium seasonings including lemon-pepper, garlic powder or Mrs. Dash.

I got to thinking that maybe I had done even less oil/vinegar. I think maybe 2T oil to 1 each of vinegar and mustard. You'll have to judge based on how much it takes to coat and your personal taste.

Per serving, based on 4: 219 calories (81 percent from fat), 21 grams total fat (3 grams saturated), no cholesterol, 9 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams protein, 12 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber.

Last edited by WaistingTime; 02-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #2  

That salad sounds really good, thanks for sharing!

Nice avatar btw.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:54 AM   #3  

Hello, i have recently discovered this awesome forum for the sb diet i have just started.
I noticed that not a lot of recipes have pictures which would help to let people know what to expect and maybe get attracted to the recipe itself.

here's my contribution ^^

imgur.com/eUWVKSQ

i added tofu and mustard vinaigrette. ask me for further details if you need help

Cheers
Max

ps. not being able to directly post images until post count is 25 is not really helping to grow this community..
max_one is offline   Reply With Quote