Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'5

Default Our new monster -

- is an orange guy who was picked up feral last summer at 3 years old.
He was skinny, kind of greasy, and extremly awkward indoors but he took to people quickly and NEVER wants to go outside.

We thought he was a short haired tabby, and were suprised when he grew an astounding amount of long pretty hair when the weather got colder. Now we assume he is a Maine Coon ... he's HUGE and displays all of the characteristics of the breed.

Now he's shedding it all =/ It's giving him hairball problems. I've read about some home solutions this morning and am wondering if any of you have tried them.
melted butter? olive oil with a little tuna mixed in?
I really doubt he'd eat the commercial products.
molly135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

We used to give our long-haired cat salmon oil (she loved it, and I always had capsules around). Once or twice a week I would puncture a 1000mg gel and squeeze the oil onto a plate. She would lick it up and it did seem to solve her problems. Too much oil however can be unpleasant in the litter box.

I'd say to ask your vet, but I suspect they would try and sell you something that the cat won't take.

I know other people use butter, but our fussy little eater didn't like it.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #3  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

The vet recommended for me to use "Petromalt" which comes in malt and fish flavors. I've used this with all of my kitties (the oldest of whom is 12), and they all LOVE it-- and it helps with the hairballs (and, oddly enough, the constipation that accompanies hairballs)! And I seriously haven't met a cat who doesn't eat it... You just wipe it on their front paws (and if there's a little excess, you can wipe it on their face) and they just lick it up because they want to be clean!
I know it's not a "home solution" but you don't need a prescription for it, and I think it's less than $5 for a tube that lasts anywhere from 3 months (every day twice a day use) to a couple years..
The Hairball care cat food worked REALLY well with my short haired kitty, but I have a blue tabby/maine coon mixed little girl who refuses to eat that food...
Good luck!!! Hairballs are no fun for either us or our kitties.
And your little guy sounds ADORABLE!
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'5

I tried tuna drenched in olive oil and he wasn't having it =/ I gave him a pat of butter and that was a no go. I melted the butter, cooled it and drowned it in milk but that wasnt appetizing after i'd tried pushing so much food he didnt want in his face.
We couldn't buy the commercial product since it was Easter and most stores were closed ...
So we decided to butter the cat =D As in moosh spreadable butter into his paws. He FINALLY ate some fat (and im wondering if 1/2 the prob is due to his low fat diet cuz we've been trying to get him to lose weight).
Even tho he's almost back to normal i'm still worried =/ I'll worry less when he starts to chase the small gray cat again ......
molly135 is offline   Reply With Quote