Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #1  

Default pet food

What do you all feed your pets? I'm looking into some new food for my pooch and would love some recommendations. I want to give him something health...right now I'm looking at Taste of the Wild. Has anyone tried it?
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I haven't tried that. I use to feed him California Naturals but his poops were real loose. So I switched him to good ol' Beneful Healthy Weight and he's doing great.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #3  

I got some samples and he seems to like them so I am thinking about switching over now. I haven't seen California Naturals, but that stinks that your dog didn't do as well on it!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I swear by Royal Canin. All my pets are on it. They have some awsome products for specific breeds ie persains, yorkies, GSD,etc..but they also have some great foods that are not breed specific. I feed my lab/hound mix the lab diet since its wt control plus efas for skin. And her coat hasn't looked better since i switched her to the food about 6m ago. I fed my older cats their special 27. I find that Royal Canin does a great job. I know a lot of people on this boards don't like processed foods, however, as a vet i've seen some great results with RC food and find that they do a good job of trying to meet specific requirements for either breed or issues.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #5  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I feed Innova Evo canned for breakfast and Orijen fish 6 kibble for dinner. It's a grain free food, and very rich, so she only needs a little bit. However, she's a high energy dog and burns lots of calories (lol, if only I were like that.) I am a huge supporter of grain-free foods, but not all dogs do well on it. Her poops are really firm though and her coat is super shiny and healthy, so I know it's working for her. I will get a blood panel done for her every year though, because high protien diets can have some negative effects if the liver and kidneys don't work properly- so I wanna always make sure her system is in tip top shape.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #6  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I'm a Nutro Natural girl, or Nutro Ultra if I have the money. The ingredients are decent, and the boys like it. Keeps their coats nice and shiny and I don't have any problems with loose stool.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 166/160/140

Height: 5'4"

I feed my dogs the Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods diet (also known as Bones and Raw Food or, the oh-so-appetizing "BARF").
I have 3 retired racing greyhounds -- and am hoping to look more like THEM when I reach my health and weight-loss goals! A fat greyhound is an unhealthy greyhound, so I try to keep them healthy and sleek.
They love -- and seem to thrive on -- the raw diet! --Sue
threegreygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #8  

I have been reading a lot about the raw diets...it does sound rgeat for dogs but I don't think I have the time or fridge space for it since I have to share the fridge with roommates! But I am getting on the grain-free and holistic bandwagon. So far, Mosby has been doing really well on Taste of the Wild so I think we found our winner I'm just glad I have a good pet store so close to me so I have good options!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

Hehe! my doggies, get Ol' Roy from Walmart and do just fine on it!
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #10  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

My Bubba gets Wellness dry dog food and some wet food, either Innova Evo, Wellness or Dick Van Patton's Natural Balance. He does well on these and has a very nice coat. Plus, he's lived a nice long life (he's 14 now!).
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/182/150

I can't post links yet, due to being new, but Animal Food Service provides a great product. If you have trouble finding it via a search, let me know.

For a natural food choice for pets, check out this site. My dog is so picky and loves this and I see more "snap in his step" after we started this. I have to say, it is expensive, and we use it only as a supplement due to the cost.
motomom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Nutro Naturals is what we give the animals. Small bites for our chihuahua/terrier mix and the senior formula for our kitty.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #13  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

A great site to visit to find out how to judge a pet food's quality- in general, not recommending any specific brand- is petdiets.com. It is run by Dr. Rebecca Remillard, one of the few board-certified veterinary nutritionists here in the USA, and gives great tips on understanding the specific needs of dogs and cats (which are VERY different from each other!) As a vet, I refer to this site all the time to help clients make their own informed decisions on how to choose a safe, nutritious pet food out of the gazillions of choices on the market.
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote