Old 10-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #61  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

At least the "caring Vet supply" is getting a little closer to home . . . I was beginning to think I'd have to get you to ship Baby up here to Nova Scotia for a check-up.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

nahh mewo...i do believe there really are some great vets...but you just have to do some looking...cuz i know from experience there's some not so good ones out there (i think those are the ones that are burned out)
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #63  
Onward and Downward

I'm not trying to bash vets, Gatorgal . . . there are great and not so great practitioners in every field . . . and burnout happens all over, too.

My vet is so dedicated, she scares me sometimes -- she just had a baby girl about a week ago and she calls in to the office at least three times a day to check how everything is going with her replacements (yep, two of them required to pick up her total hours) and has actually been in there a couple of times, too (according to her receptionist).

She has hundreds of animal children in her practice . . . don't know how she's going to find time for the human kind, too. I think she is planning to keep at least one of the subs on permanently.

Last edited by meowee; 10-03-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #64  

no i didn't mean you were mewoo, sorry if that was misinterpretted. I was just restating what you said and trying to get the point across that there really are some great vets...and also some not great ones...its just a matter of finding the one that works for you and your pet.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #65  

"Listening" to y'all talk makes me happy and sad at the same time.

I want my child to be with me for a long time, but I want her to be happy and healthy, too. I feel as though I have somehow let her down by not MAKING my vet follow through with some kind of treatment. It never occurred to me that the vet wouldn't TELL me to bring her back every 6 months if it was necessary, or not do an important test if it was necessary.

Now I feel like I should have questioned more. I never even knew about the BGL curve until the two of y'all started talking about it and Jazz had one the other day.

I feel like an idiot and, even worse, a TERRILBE parent!
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #66  
Onward and Downward

You are not NOT NOT a terrible pet parent, 4myself. Unfortunately, you just don't have a really great Vet (at not for this kind of problem) YET.

Don't beat yourself up, since I happen to have the disease myself, I obviously would have been able to uncover his shortcomings before you -- just from my own experiences -- but now you've gotton some extra input and you know more. So get out there and prove that you are the great khat-mom we know you are.

I also know for a fact -- and I'm sure that Gatorgal will agree -- that a lot of owners when faced with an animal that was going to require a lot of attention and expense, would have just had it put down as soon as the diagnosis was received. Maybe your Vet was expecting that to be your reaction.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #67  

DO NOT Beat yourself up...you are NOT a terrible pet owner. Your were not properly informed. You are not a medical expert and i don't expect you to know about this if you have not been told about it. Please don't beat yourself up. You were doing what you thought was right since you weren't given enough information by the person that knows the best about it...your vet. Please do not for a moment think you are a terrible mom. Your kitty will be fine, and now you have some more info and are better aware. I definately think if you find a good vet, you will see the difference about how they educate the clients..sometimes it may be the petnurse doing it...but either way...you gain info. So please don't feel bad...you didn't know anybetter...hugs for you.

i had the same thing happen to my friend. She called me for advice concerned about the insulin. Come to find out her vet didn't make any recommendations about food, didn't teach her how/when to give the insulin. he just gave her a script and told her how much. She called me slightly concerned about it all. I straightened her out about diabetes, she found another vet (she lived in oregon) and then realized the difference with vets. so hang in there..you love your kitty and i can tell by your concern/worry. When you find a vet who is patient and caring, you will see what a difference it will do for you and your baby.

and yes mewoo - you are right...sad fact of the matter, many people don't want to take the time or money to put into an animal with a treatable disease. I see it a lot. I morally will NEVER put an animal down for that reason. I tell owners that there are other means even if it means finding a home that will take on the responsibility. It makes me sad to think some people see pets as disposable and don't take care as they should. I'm happy when i come to places like this post where so many ppl see their pets as babies and will do whatever is needed. I know there are a lot of great people out there...but unfortanatley my experience being a shelter vet a few years ago also showed me how horrible people can be to pets. So i feel that even if i can't personally help 4myselfs cat due to distance...if i've educated you and helped you out some (even if its helping you realize maybe you need a new vet)...then i've done a part to make your animals health better. And that's the number one reason i went to vet school. My love and compassion for animals and their owners. Hang in there 4myself, you are doing the best you know how to...you just didn't get the best info. You love your animal and that is something important. (:

Last edited by GatorgalstuckinGA; 10-03-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #68  

hey i think we hijacked this thread, so its a hijacking of a hijacking LOL...
Old 10-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #69  
Onward and Downward

Hi there all you cat women . . . where are you hiding?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #70  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Bob actually uses the food-puzzle-toy. I'm not sure how much exercise he's going to get in the 6-7 times he has to bat the little toy to get all of his food ration out, but hey, its something.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #71  

hey mandalinn...at least its a little better than him sitting around while he's eating...maybe it isn't the jazzercise workout he really needs...but at least its a bit more exercise (:
Old 10-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #72  

lol at myself...just got a mental image of bob...with leg warmers and high top sneakers doing jazzercise. LMAO @ me...okay...maybe i need some professional help LOL
Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #73  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Its even funnier if you've actually seen Bob...

mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #74  

lmao..yep definately funnier with a pic of the cat. Hmmm i wonder if the make leg warmers in "fat cat" size LOL

both of them are very cute.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 230/230/155

Height: 5'9"

Well, I live in the middle of nowhere and apparently have a "sign" outside for all stray cats, lol. We have 8, used to be 10 (2 were adopted). I cannot turn them away! So we take them to the clinic to have them spayed and try to find them homes, but that never works. But I sure don't have any mice!! We have 3 adults and 5 kittens. My kids love to watch the kittens play and fight. It's funny to see all of the little personalities coming out.
Mrs262 is offline   Reply With Quote