Old 08-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #1  

Default Odd question

We are in a situation right now where we have to confine our kitty to one room. We are living with a friend and her cats are quite mean toward ours. We don't want them fighting, etc. So we have to keep our kitty locked in our bedroom. The only time she can come out is when we are home and lock up the other two cats. It's just not enough. If we could find a way to block off a doorway, she would be able to have at least a bit more space to roam about. The only thing I can think of, though, is to get a few baby gates and block the door that way, so she can't climb over. Any other ideas on ways to block a doorway (that would be a little more convenient for us......), would be great.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

By convenience do you mean no cost? I can't think of anything that blocks the door that is less convenient to get through yourself. I have used the baby gate route with animals before. I have also used a table turned on it's side in front of the door.

Are you sure none of the cats can get over it though? It's amazing how high they can jump!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #3  

That's why I said a *few* babygates. I would have to put one over the other so it was blocked floor to ceiling. That's the inconvenient part I am worried about....having to take down 3 gates when ever we wanted to get through. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Cats will DEFINITELY be able to jump over a baby gate, so I don't think that will work for you. Edit - I see now that you would use numerous ones. That would work, but yes, it is inconvenient.

All I can suggest is duct taping a sheet around 4 sides of the door (yes 4! don't forget the floor ) while you let your kitty have some extra room. Good luck!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Cats do generally work out their differences if given enough time. It's always best to confine the "new" cat to the smaller space, because bringing a new cat into a living situation is a "violation" of the resident cats' territory. It's better that they give up only a little territory rather than most of it to the new cat. Never let the resident kitties into your cat's territory (the bedroom), and they'll eventually forget it was once part of their territory.

One way to get the other kitties more familiar with her is to buy a big wire animal crate. When the other kitties have the run of the house, put the crate your kitty in the big crate. Start out with the cage just outside the bedroom door (just barely into their territory). The other kitties can smell her, and get to know her, but can't hurt her. Do this for just an hour at first. If your kitty doesn't mind the crate, increase the time and move the crate further and further into the other kitty's space.

Eventually, you will see the other kitty's attitudes towards your kitty change. They will hang out by her cage, and may even lay down by her or interact with her in the cage. Then you can start having supervised visits into their territory. Eventually you will not need the crate, nor the supervision, and she will be part of the clowder (the name for a "pack" of cats).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

kaplods has some great suggestions to try...but i will also forwarn you some cats may never get along...its hard to say. You will have to play it by ear. There's several different things that could happen. One the cats will learn to get along or 2...your cat continually gets beat up upon and has no "escape" area where it can get away...which then raises the stress level and may cause inappropriate urination in the house. Its hard to say what will happen. I would suggest try what kaplods said but monitor your cat...if she is extremely stressed...it may be better to keep her confined to one room. Its an inconvience for you...however...as long as you give your cat plenty of interaction in your room, that will be less issues on your kitty then if she is always being attacked. I've seen many cats for inappropriate urination (i'm a vet who is really into behavior) and a good portion of the time it is due to stress (ie afraid of always being beaten up). So yes eventually they may get along...but they may not. good luck
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:14 AM   #7  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Height: 5'9

Some cats are just anti-social, or just don't like certain other cats for some reason. I had a cat once that beat up on a kitten I had gotten for no reason. I had to keep them separated all the time (said cat was later diagnosed with liver cancer and eventually was put to sleep, which may of contributed to her grouchiness). I'd try what Kaplods mentioned and try to get them used to each other, but if that doesn't work I wouldn't worry about it. Take her out of the room, let her roam when you're home. Most cats don't mind being in one room, provided they have enough stuff to keep them occupied in the room. Buy her lots of toys she can entertain herself with while you're gone. Buy her a cat tree that you can stick in a corner of the room that she can make her own space. Strap a harness on her and take her outside :-P My cats love that... they sort of flop over and just lay in the grass. Bottom line is that even if she's mainly confined to one room you can still make it work
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote