Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #1  

Default Breastfeeding Diet

Hello,

I am a breastfeeding Mom who just had my first baby on November 9. I am almost 8 weeks post partem and wanted to start losing some weight.

Are there any diets anyone reccomends for breast feeding woman?

I am also horriable for middle of the night snacking. I find it easiest to just grab some cookies while I am breastfeeding at 2-3am. So, also wondering what other people snack on in the middle of the night when they are up breastfeeding? I am always so hungry it seems.

Thanks for any help,
Kathy
zoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I've not been snacking on anything at night, I just eat a healthy diet during the day. Daytime snacks are usually peanut butter, yogurt, fruit & string cheese.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #3  
future lightweight rower

S/C/G: 146/146/135

Height: 5'9"

I'm too tired at night to eat - but I drink a lot of water because I'm thirsty. Are you getting enough water?

I'm doing a modified South Beach Diet plan - I'm eating more protein and lower glycemic (slow burning) carbs. I'm not limiting how much I eat, just changing what I eat. Good luck with whatever plan you choose
toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #4  
resident lactivist

The most important part of a breastfeeding diet is the same as any other diet--it has to be an eating style you can live with.

I follow a form of SugarBusters. There's a great forum for that diet here on 3FC. I do a lower-carb form of it, because I tend to overeat things like bread and pasta, and they're also trigger foods for me. I eat bread, I want candy. I have no idea why.

My usual recommendation is to follow some form of a low GI (glycemic index) diet. The reasoning behind this is simple--low GI foods tend to contain a lot of fiber, which helps keep you full for longer, which helps you to eat less overall. Protein is also important for lactation, and it's the most satiating nutrient. So diets like South Beach (starting with Phase 2 instead of One), SugarBusters, etc, are good for nursing mamas.

We also have to be careful to eat enough. That's one reason a lot of nursing mamas use Weight Watchers. If you're sure to eat all your POINTS (you get an extra 10 for nursing), it's an easy way to ensure you get enough calories. You can't "officially" do the program while nursing unless you go to the meetings, but you can easily buy the materials and add in the extra points. That's what I've done in the past--the last thing I want to do is tote a nursling to a Weight Watchers meeting.

Snacks...Since I am fairly low-carb at the moment, my favorite snack is a hardboiled egg. I also sometimes buy chicken wings or drumsticks and broil several of them at a time, then store them individually wrapped in the freezer. They don't take very long to thaw. I broil them with the skin on but take it off before I eat it. Other ideas include a half-serving of cottage cheese or plain yoghurt (I sweeten it on my own, with Splenda or SteviaPlus). Just some ideas. If you're perinneally snacking at night, though, you might want to look at your meals and make sure you're getting enough to eat then.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #5  

Thanks ladies for all your advice.

I will go check out all the diets your mentioned and have a look at them all. When I went grocery shopping the other night I bought all healthy food. No snacks other than things like carrots, celery, fruit, cheese, etc. I have always bought wholewheat products like pasta, bread, etc. so I still think I am ok in that department.

The night time snacking I will admit it is getting better. I try just to drink a half to a full bottle of water instead. It also helps he does sleep through the night a few times a week. Before when I was snacking so much he would be up 1-2 hours during the night. I guess if he still does this I should grab crackers or a piece of fruit if I am that hungry. Thinking maybe I should make sure I get enough fiber and protein as well for last meal of the night this should help I think.

My friend started weight watchers a few months ago. She does it online I think. She wasn't sure if it was ok for breastfeeding or not. So, thanks for that info. as well.

Thanks again everyone and if anyone else does certain things, please let me know.

Kathy
zoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #6  

Thanks for posting this... This is my first visit since giving birth and I was coming to this forum specifically to ask this question!!!

Love,

Sarah-Jean
Sarah-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 219/167/159

Height: 5' 9"

I was able to lose weight while breastfeeding, by eating a balanced diet and going for walks. The good news about breastfeeding is that your body requires fat stores to make quality milk for the baby, and uses the fat stored during pregnancy. It also burns about 1000 extra calories a day.

Good luck!
LeslieFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/199/165

Height: 5 foot 9

I don't know what craigs list is. But really, I do know women who have had breast reductions who are unable to fully breastfeed who supplement with donor milk..either bought or donated. It is not really as crazy as it sounds. I would not do it..but an ounce of breastmilk takes time and effort to pump and store..2$ an ounce is actually not expensive when you compare the benefits. Also..soy and special formulas are expensive too..do you think that is outrageous? Not trying to start a debate but just since ya brought it up..I would let a friend breastfeed my baby...I don't know if I would just let "anyone" though because of the risks of drugs in the milk, etc.

Edited to add.. breast milk banks are very expensive too and they have to pasturize the milk (which I have heard destroys some of the benefits of the milk). I do agree..seems like everyone is out to make a buck..(often at the expense of the most vulnerable). So..is it right for the breast milk "banks" to expect women to "donate" that liquid gold? Why shouldn't women be compensated. Men are compensated for sperm bank donations, (and they probably enjoy that donation process more than women who have to take the time to pump that milk) And also, women who donate are often women who either have a big supply, or more likely, women who have experienced the loss of their baby..and the milk is still there. . I have heard it said that it is just another symptom of our misogynist society and expecting women to sacrifice while men get paid. :/

What do you think?
Snoopysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #9  
resident lactivist

A few thoughts on milk banks vs selling your breastmilk.

First of all, milk banks do have pretty high standards for donated milk. I have an acquaintance who was unable to donate hers because of her diet. The one nearest where she was requires mamas who donate to eat a completely nonallergenic diet, and she hadn't. That's one of the up sides to getting breastmilk from a bank--you know it won't have anything in it your babe may be allergic to.

The downside is you might not be able to get the milk from a milk bank. The acquaintance I mentioned earlier lives in San Antonio. Despite being something like the eighth-largest city in the nation, SA has no milk bank of its own. The nearest is in Austin. So from that perspective, buying private milk makes sense.

I really think it's a Catch-22, though. Honestly--and y'all probably know by now that I am a huge proponent of breastfeeding--I'd use formula before I'd take milk from a private source if I didn't know the woman. To me, the dangers are just too high.

Adding to the Craig's List ick-factor (& Jeni, it's an online free classifieds service; check www.craigslist.org) is that people who buy the milk may well not be planning to use it for its intended purpose. Breastmilk is one of the newest fountains of youth. In addition to everything Mothering says it can be used for (DH wouldn't let me squirt some into his eye to test the "treats conjunctivitis theory"), there are those who believe it is good for skin tone & whatnot. It's just...odd. Odder, perhaps, than the "colostrum" capsules I've seen in the health food store (and I do not wanna know where they get the ingredient for that from!).

Jeni, your point about milk banks maybe paying for milk is a good one...But think about how much costs would increase if they paid for contributions. Everything's passed on to the consumer in the end, y'know?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:19 AM   #10  
resident lactivist

Y'know, I don't have a problem with formula being expensive. Plenty of women wind up doing the healthier thing for their baby because they can't afford the less-healthy alternative.

Marbear, you're lucky you could pump so much. I never could get more than an ounce or two at a time, and I've never come close to a shortage of milk! Maybe I just had crappy pumps...
Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I can generally only get an ounce or two...though it appears that at night, I don't produce enough milk sometimes & we supplement him with Alamentum to help his gas & get him enough to eat. I've even purchased a Medela to try & get more. I couldn't get anything with a cheap pump. And it takes about 20 - 30 minutes to get that ounce or two.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote