Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #1  

Default breast infection

I had a breast infection last week. Mastitis (without a fever) and doc gave me antibiotics to take if i did get a fever. Well....it went away after a couple days of soaking and pumping but now it's back again! Am i doing something wrong while BF? Anyone else have tips on what to do to get rid of it for good?
nuumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

How young is baby? If super young you might want to try nursing twice on the same breast before switching to nurse twice on the other breast. Not just to get all the hind milk, but to make sure you are all drained on that side. Esp when newborns are nursing practically every hour on the hour.

They tend to get sleep at the breast -- wake baby up. Change diaper or something. Just to be sure each nursing block is hitting 15 min or better. Nursing often and deeply rather than "just little sips" will help make sure you are getting all the milk out to reduce clogging.

If not a young baby -- are you nursing often enough to avoid clogged ducts? Older babies want to play so easily distract in the day. May have to experiment to get baby to nurse without distraction.

What about your clothing? Is it breathable? Not too tight? Check your bras to make sure they fit well enough to support but aren't too tight.

More tips here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Really all of kellymom is a huge help.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #3  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

astrophe, your recommendations to nuumite are spot on!
thanks for looking out for the nursing mammas. We breast-feeders past and present need to support eachother.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #4  

Thanks for the help. my daughter is 1 month old. BF has been a challenge for me from the start but i'm gonna stick with it!
nuumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Oh, a tiny one! Congrats!

And keep at it. Def cruise kellymom for more tips as baby grows. You can do it!

You may also find "The Color of the Day" for baby poo helpful.

http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

Mine is 7 now but I remember those baby days!

Hang in there!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-10-2012 at 09:11 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/184/125

Height: 5'3"

Mastitis can be sign of trying to do too much (I know b/c that's why I had it!!!). It's hard when you got a babe, house, yourself and a relationship/marriage to take care of and maybe a job too. Just to try to take it easy when recovering. If you can, just take nursing vacation and lay in bed with LO.

Take the antibiotics until there are not more left. Also the make sure when you are done taking the antibiotics that you take some probiotics too! You've just wiped out your colony of good and bad bacteria in your digestive tract with the antibiotics so the probiotics will bring back the good.

And everything astrophe said! GL!
crunch mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch mama View Post
Take the antibiotics until there are not more left. Also the make sure when you are done taking the antibiotics that you take some probiotics too! You've just wiped out your colony of good and bad bacteria in your digestive tract with the antibiotics so the probiotics will bring back the good.
Can't agree more with this.

I had mastitis with a fever of 103 and almost had to go to the ER. They gave me a very strong antibiotic that resulted in colitis. I ended up being sick longer with colitis than just the mastitis (like, 2 weeks sick!). So definitely be sure to take your probiotics.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #8  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I had mastitis in both breasts & it was very painful. The best relief I got was when I fed my son. Just keep an eye on it, it can progress so quickly.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #9  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I had it as a recurring problem for a few months with my third baby only. Not sure why... and it happened when he was a bit older (6-10 months or so). I made sure I really kept an eye on it... I did double up the feedings on each side, massaged the breast during to make sure that all areas with lumps were draining etc. And at first sign of a lump or tenderness, I'd nurse right away on that breast, massaging towards the nipple.

I feel for you - it's awfully painful... especially in those early weeks! Good for you for hanging in there!! I am still nursing my little guy now, strangely enough (he doesn't want to wean!) and he'll be 3 in May... Longest I've ever gone...

Anyhow, best of luck and keep hanging in there!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote