Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm at around 1500 also and my supply is fine. I remember seeing those recommendations and thinking "You're nuts!" LOL I just stuck to whatever calorie recommendations I got after entering my weight on my "lose it" app on my iPhone and just went from there every week when I lost weight. Like I said, I'm at 1500 right now at my current weight and my son (6 months old) is getting all that he needs.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #17  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I spent about 6 weeks doing about 1900 -2000 cals/day, but lost weight VERY slowly. I think in all that time I lost 7 pounds or so. So now that my baby is 20 months and down to 3 feedings a day, I'm coming back after a couple of months off - and I'm going down to 1500 as well. I'm tired of not making much progress!

I think some people lose weight easily while breastfeeding, while others seem to 'hold onto' their weight. I'm in that last category for sure. But I'm going to be really consistent with the 1500 and exercising 1/2 hour a day and see if I can't change that!!

GL to you too!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 194/ see ticker /115

Height: 5'3

You go Girls! =)

I took a short trip for the first time this weekend with some girlfriends as a small break, so I had to exclusively pump (every 3 hours and once in the middle of the night). Kudos to you exclusively breastpumping mamas! That was so hard! Also, I can't always let down, so I was really worried about developing mastitis. I was getting blocked ducts after the first day. Painful. It took me a long time to pump one feeding. I really respect you exclusive pumpers.

I normally bf the baby, but try to get a morning and evening pump in, to keep some in the freezer and also to try to keep my supply slightly up. Anyway, the double pumping really helped as I had pumped more than my husband was feeding baby from frozen breastmilk at home. I also came down with a head cold while I was away, so maybe my supply dipped with the onset of it.
I was feeling really bummed out since I thought my supply was down and that I couldn't continue to lose weight. I guess we will see how things go this next week with weight loss and milk supply. Baby is only 9 weeks now, so supply is more important to keep established.

Liz - Thank you for the nice advice and for sharing your personal info. I'm going to stay b/w 1700-1800 and see what happens. I'm doing Bistro MD with my own snacks added.

Talk again soon.

Last edited by kifli; 01-24-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling error
kifli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #19  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

I'm loving this thread, I kept thinking should I really be eating 2300 calories??? I'm going to go for 1800 and see what happens because so far I haven't lost anything (but I have gotten fitter so yay).

To all those pumping, congrats! It is dedication, I don't know if I could do it if I couldn't BF. I have to pump when I go back to work and know how time consuming it can feel mooooooooo. Luckily both my kids have been super eaters (my lil boy's last weigh in at his 7week check he was the size of an average 3mos old!), no reflux or anything.
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 300/254/140

Height: 5'3"

After reading this I think I may switch down my calories from 1800 to 1500 since my daughter is already a year old and loves food

Of course the hard part is staying under the 1500, I keep going over with 1800 lol
Ahzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I agree about the pumping - I hated pumping when I had to do it with DS...we had such latch problems. Luckily I'm home for maternity leave for the year, and now I'm back at work...but I work at home, so either my mom or DH brings DD to me when she's ready to nurse. I'm really lucky.

kifli - No problem! Hope you had a fun trip!

kirsteng - I'm pretty sure BF has helped me...but I've also really stuck at the 1500 calories, I almost never go over. Anyways good luck!

Ahzuri - You can do it! Once your body get used to the new calorie level, it'll be easy breezy.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote