Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/146/128

Height: 5'7"

Question Nursing and not losing weight?

Hi! My name is Ami and I am new to this site. I have a 3 month old son who I have nursed exclusively, and I heard that breastfeeding burns like 500 calories a day. Well, I lost weight really quickly at first, but seem to have gotten stuck... so I made some major cut backs on eating. Now, I feel like I am starving all the time, but I'm still not losing weight! I am taking up tennis to see if that helps, but how is it possible that I am nursing and not losing weight?

Thanks
xoxoxo
-Ami
Ami12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

My weight loss tapered off as well about two months into breastfeeding. I lost 25 pounds really fast and then it just halted. Of course, my appetite came back. But, honestly, when I tried to diet, my milk production slowed almost to nothing. When I was barely making any milk as it was was when I started WW. I knew it would completely stop, but he wasn't getting anything anyways, and I was really unhappy. Tennis is a great way to get exercise in. I think the most important thing is to make sure you exercise every day. Whether it be an hour-long walk or a tennis match, this has been my mainstay throughout my weight loss and has kept me on track diet-wise as well too.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

By the way, I love your hair! So cute.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

My dear I'm in the same boat you are! I gained 26lbs while pregnant and it was gone 10 days post partum, but I want to get back to my old weight of 130 (weighed this 10 years ago). My boy is 4 months and I'm not losing either!

Have you tried keep your calories up (you need about 1900 a day for your height, activity level and BFing) but limiting refined carbs and sugar? This is what helped me lose 17lbs after my 1st son! I'm starting it tomorrow! We should be weight loss buddies since we're about the same height/weight and have a similar goal!!
hotmamacitax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #5  

I pretty much live on refined carbs/sugars (I just googled it, lol)... because I just recently stopped eating meat. However, I think I can reduce the amount by doing things like making brown rice rather than white, etc... so let's lose this weight! By the way, I love that your occupation says domestic engineer ;-) I am so using that!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Ami-are you vegan, or vegetarian?

If you no longer eat meat (but do eat other animal products) try to get in more protein with eggs, dairy products, nuts, soy, etc.-this will help you to maintain your lean muscle mass. If you live on refined carbs, then you aren't feeding your muscles. They need the protein!

Switch from regular bread to whole wheat, from white rice to brown, from white pasta to whole wheat, etc. My favorite pasta is Barilla Plus, because it has some ground legume powder, etc. in it that adds more nutrition and protein, and it TASTES like regular white pasta. Eat more fruits and veggies-healthy complex carbs.

When you don't eat meat, it's even more important to watch what kind of carbs that you are eating.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 168/144.8/115

Height: 4'11''

Sigh. Add me to the list of people who don't lose weight by nursing. I need to keep better track of my calories, but I feel like getting more exercise would really help me lose the weight. I hate it when I just can't do it, though! Today it was 4pm before I could get a shower and actually get out of the house with 2 kids to walk .5 miles to the store. Ah well at least I got in one mile today. I'd like to make it to 5 miles a day but it's hard to lower my expectations and go slowly. I want to be thin again sooooo bad.
kamesennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #8  

I am trying to exercise when he naps, which means I am not getting any naps in, but hopefully it's worth it & I'll see some results! xoxoxo
Old 09-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #9  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I lose weight when nursing...but only when I keep my calories up. If you drastically cut your calories, your body is going to save all that excess body fat and weight just to continue making milk. Your body is telling you something by signaling hunger all the time....it's telling you it's hungry! and needs fuel. Your metabolism will basically stop to keep from burning ANY excess calories just to keep your milk supply up.

You use up about 500 calories a day breastfeeding, but I wouldn't recommend cutting that many. Cutting too many can lead to your milk drying up.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I've gained weight while nursing both my kids. I have to drastically cut my calories to counteract it and my milk supply suffers.

It seems around the 8 month mark (where I'm at now) this lets up a little and I can lose weight without my milk supply tanking.

I hate it when people say the weight just melts off when they're nursing!! The opposite has been true for me. I think it throws my body into starvation mode for some reason!! You're not alone... hang in there!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #11  
Abe's Mom

S/C/G: 196/142.8/125

Height: 5'4"

i lost at first too even with nursing--- but after like 3rd or 4th month i hit a standstill and then at 6 months i stopped nursing and started losing again --- but now i'm at almost 9 months postpartum and i've been stuck at this weight for like the past month or two--- so the nursing making it magically fall off is a joke-- and the oh you will be back in your normal jeans two weeks postpartum is a joke too-- i'm still a size or two up from before pregnancy
princess2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #12  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

One thing I am not hearing people talk about is drinking! you are all talking about food but not water. You need to drink quite a bit of extra water while producing milk. Sit down with at least an 8 oz glass of water (1/2 liter) everytime you feed. Also drink whenever else you are thirsty. No juice or soda, but your milk should have a bit of fat. I also support the concept of ensuring you are eating well to ensure adequate milk production.
fatmad (midwife and mother of 2 fully breastfed kids)
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 189/185/125

Height: 5 3

Hey, all! I am nursing, too. Lost 20lbs in the first 10 days and now am slowly putting it back on...5 lbs over the last week. It seems like a lb a day. I do know that I am not drinking enough. Could I possibly not be eating enough either? I am trying not to "diet" but given the last week, I really want to now!
Fatmad... can you advise me??
almsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #14  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default putting it back on

part two after the water is to make sure you are gently exercising.
This is different for everywoman depending on the birth. Someone who has a straightforward vaginal birth will recover and be able to do more sooner than someone with a bad bleed, or forceps, a big tear or episiotomy or c-section of course.
BUT, start slow and build slow. I remember walking around the block, and it went fine, so I did it again. (this was day 5) i got halfway round, and had to stop and sit, couldn't get up again. Had the homeowner call my dh to come drive me home!
You can go from feeling fine and strong to totally exhausted in minute, and pushing thru the tired will delay your recovery. SO do a little everyday, and build. Another hint, if bleeding starts up heavier, you have been overdoing it.
Remember too that the extra water will flush out toxins etc.
Don't get discouraged on a day to day basis, there are a lot of hormone fluctuations that can cause fluid retention.
We do tend to keep at least 5 -10 lbs on for milk production, so don't be too impatient.
Remember you are giving your baby the best start, and a VERY important tool to prevent obesity. (it is no coincidence that the obesity epidemic came after women stopped breastfeeding and started routine formula feeds. Formula fed people are MUCH more likely to become obese as kids and as adults!)
best wishes to all on this site. It is such a busy but precious time.
Sorry if I am waxing too poetic, I have just come from a lovely delivery with the sweetest couple, and am all aglow. (I do love my job, I just wish the irregular hours didn't mess with exercise and healthy eating. )
fatmad
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 175/153/130

I nursed my son for 8 months and nursing did not help me lose weight at ALL. I gained 50+ lbs while pregnant. I lost 30 within the first two months after he was born but still have 20 lbs hanging around and he's now 9.5 months old. I did notice my appetite decreased shortly after I weaned him from nursing, and the weight is starting to come off again, but I have literally been at a plateau for 5 months now and it's frustrating, especially when everyone claims that nursing is the miracle diet. Not so for me!
ThinBeforeThirty is offline   Reply With Quote