Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11

Default Critique My Diet Please?

This is my first time being pregnant where I didn't just go all out and eat whatever I wanted for the entire time. I am determined to do it healthfully this time. So here is what I ate today. Am I eating too much? Too little? What should I be adding or taking away? Any just general tips? Thanks in advance!

Woke up - had a cheese stick and a glass of skim milk (was starving lol)

8:30 - 2 eggs scrambled, 2 slices turkey bacon, 1 piece of WW toast w/ margarine

10ish - handful of peanuts, still hungry then had 1 Oreo (I was weak lol)

12:15 - Reheated meatloaf from the night before, side salad with FF honey dijon dressing with some shredded cheese

3- Apple slices with PB

6:15 - WW Spagetti (1 Cup cooked), parm and a little margarine. Glass of milk. Tried to eat some roasted eggplant, but just couldn't.

7:00 - hungary again and had a couple handfuls of popcorn (natural style)
AutumnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/178/120

Height: 5'5"

What is FF honey dijon dressing (I know what honey dijon is, just not the FF)?

At least up till the salad you were eating an awful lot of protein vs fruit/veggies/grain. You might put what you ate into a food diary on sparkpeople.com and see what it comes up with as far as the percentages and where they should be. Don't pay TOO much attention to the calories. If you start to gain insanely, eat less, if you don't gain and start to lose, eat more. I always lost 15 pounds the first 3 months with my kids, and the doctor would tell me to eat more fats. Then though, I started to gain at an incredible rate because of hypertension...1/2 a pound a day for the last ten weeks in fact with my second...but that was all water and I lost it in 3 days. If you are hungry, eat, just try to keep it healthy food. The less processed stuff you eat the better.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that we need to pay attention to cravings during pregnancy though...if you are craving protein/meat, you very well may be having a boy and weren't getting enough protein before (there is a specific birth defect boys get if the mother doesn't get enough protein). I know that happened to me. Pay attention to cravings and then opt for healthy things that are similar. If you are craving ice cream for instance...you could be needing more calcium or fat...try eating avocado, olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar and pepper for dipping french bread into, and drink more milk along with taking your calcium supplements.

The only time you should NEVER give in to a craving is when you are dealing with Pica. For those that don't know...it is the craving for non-food items like dirt, chalk, charcoal, coffee grounds...etc.. If that happens, and it does, talk to your OB/GYN. Get checked for iron deficiency. They don't know for sure why it happens, but iron deficiency is one of the main things researchers suspect.

Last edited by CaffeineIV; 08-26-2008 at 08:20 PM.
CaffeineIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineIV View Post
if you are craving protein/meat, you very well may be having a boy and weren't getting enough protein before (there is a specific birth defect boys get if the mother doesn't get enough protein). I know that happened to me.
What birth defect are you talking about?

I would definitely eat more fruits & veggies. Dark green veggies & whole grains are good sources of folate/folic acid which can prevent neural tube defects.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
What birth defect are you talking about?
Hypospadias - the urethra in the male ends up with an abnormally placed opening (ie., on the shaft of the whatsit rather than at the end)

Last edited by CaffeineIV; 08-26-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #5  

oh wait...is FF fat free? Just realized that is probably what it is. Duh!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineIV View Post
oh wait...is FF fat free? Just realized that is probably what it is. Duh!
Some researcher suggest a relationship between maternal vegetarianism (phytoestrogens in soy or pesticides in produce) but it has never been substantiated and is only one theory. I've never seen fat free associated with this, but that would certainly be an unhealthy diet for anyone, let alone a pregnant woman.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote