PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:23 AM   #1  
rambler

S/C/G: 296/225/170

Default Blood sugar question

I have been on metformin and controlled carb diet since the middle of April and have steadily watched my blood sugars come down. I was never really high but averaged probably 115 before anything and had gotten down to 75-85 average first thing in the morning. Over the last few weeks my sugars have steadily climbed and now are averaging around 100 again. I even checked it after exercise and without eating expecting it to be lower than the initial morning measurement and it was higher by about 55 points!!! I am having blood work done and will see my endo in about 3 weeks but wondered if anyone else has experienced problems like this???? And before you ask my diet is essentially the same throughout this time, possibly a slightly higher amount of splenda while on vacation for a week but that has been lower for the last week and sugars are still high. My exercise has been a little less but otherwise no changes.
ELEM-PGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Exercise does significantly lower blood sugar. Has your endocrinologist told you where s/he wants your blood sugar to be?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/ticker/199

Yep, this happens to me sometimes. There are a couple of explanations. Either your meds have worn off (if BS is high in the morning) or there is a phenomena called the Samogi (sp?) effect. When you don't eat sometimes you bottom out and this is the body's way to rebound. Either way, don't stop eating to bring your sugars down. Small freq meals, with no simple carbs should help. Yep, call your endo and they'll tell you where you should be.
katiesmom710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #4  

Exercise will USUALLY lower blood glucose levels, but if you exercise intensely, the liver will anticipate the need for energy and dump sugars into the blood, which will RAISE the blood glucose level. There are so many factors involved, it is hard to say what would be causing the rise you are seeing. Stress can raise glucose levels, illness can, or you might need an adjustment in your medication. Even if your diet is the same, ingredients can change in things you usually purchase that could cause a change. (for instance, I recently re-read the label of my bread and found they started adding high fructose corn syrup to it. When I switched to another brand with out it, my glucose levels after meals with bread came down dramatically)

Can you call and move your endo appointment up? That might give you some peace of mind.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #5  
rambler

thanks for the info ladies, i did go get bloodwork drawn but haven't heard any results other than the cbc was normal. I am going to call today to try to move my appointment up a little. I had thought about just upping the metformin on my own but am too chicken to do that. plus i don't want to run out and have the insurance deny a refill cause its too soon! Will try to post an update as soon as i know something!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #6  
rambler

Got the bloodwork back and Fasting insulin was 8.5 and bloodsugar was 92 so the doctor is pleased. Glad I am in some normal ranges but would still like to see the scale start moving again and my blood sugars are still hanging on the high side, more like 95-110 instead of the 75-95 I was getting. I think now a lot of my PCOS symptoms are what is taking over, fatigue and mood especially. Oh well, will actually see the doctor on the 4th of August and plan to prob him a little more then.