PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

View Poll Results: As a woman with Pcos my biggest problem is
Weight loss 33 63.46%
Conception 7 13.46%
Acne 5 9.62%
Hair growth 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 12:10 PM   #16  

1. What diet are you on?

I've cut down drastically on white flour, white pasta, white sugar, white rice, potatoes, anything else with a high GI. I do eat protein, lots of veggies, dairy, anything that's whole grain.

2. Do you have acne?

No acne, but my symptoms are thick hair on sideburns, chin, and lower abdomen, anovulation, amenorrhea, and although I'm not too much overweight, I've experienced sudden very high weight gain.

3. Do you have regular cycles?

No periods at all on my own for over a year now.

4. Have you tried medication such as Metformin?

Just started in a few days ago...knock on wood, hope it works!
Old 05-28-2003, 04:42 PM   #17  

1. Currently on ww and doing good, I usually do low fat and have lost 95 lbs in about a year.

2. I do when my cycles arent regular or when Im pg.

3. Im on herbs and for the last three cycles they are picture perfect ovulation b/w cd12-cd14 and a 14 day lp. I also got pg but miscarried.

4.Yep, I have been on metformin for 14 months. The first nine months I had bowel problems but I dont have problems anymore. Im on gluc xr 2000mgs. It helped get rid of my carb cravings but didnt notice a difference in the weight loss till I cut back on my food intake.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:50 PM   #18  

1. What diet are you on?
I'm not. Diets don't work. But I do eat fairly low-fat vegetarian and focus on eating healthy, whole foods in a balanced way.

2. Do you have acne?
My skin was breaking out really bad before I was diagnosed and treated with Yasmin. Now, it is clear and I haven't had a pimple in nearly a year!

Yes. They are lighter and shorter than they have ever been.

4. Have you tried medication such as Metformin?
No. My blood sugars and insulin levels are regulated with regular exercise.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:22 PM   #19  

1. What diet are you on?
At first my doctor didn't want me to change my diet (to make sure the meds were going to work). Now I am on Weight Watchers (have lost 30 lbs in 3 1/2 months)

2. Do you have acne?
Have same acne as before, but now have problems with sweat gland cysts. Doctors are trying to find a medication that will help with that.

I'm starting to have regular cycles, they are still about 3 months apart, but big improvement from only having 1 a year.

4.Have you tried medication such as Metaformin?
I have been on metaformin for 9 months, after I got use to the medicine the side effects have decreased. I take 500mg in a.m. and 1000mg in p.m.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:35 AM   #20  
God, Give me strength !!

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'7

1. What diet are you on?

None at the moment. I am going to see my Doctor for dietary advise on Monday

2. Do you have acne? Yes, but wierd, only along my jaw line!!!

3. Do you have regular cycles? No, the are pretty much erratic
4. Have you tried medication such as Metformin? I did yes, abt 2 yrs back. Loved it, and it worked well for me. Again.. I am seeing my Doc on Monday to get my script for Met back
Old 08-12-2003, 11:38 PM   #21  

1) I am just starting to follow the GI diet/Sugar Busters plans. Not much has seemed to work before this, but I think maybe this will be the right plan for me.

2) Yes, have had acne for many years. More severe on back, moderate on face. Do get cystic acne also. Seems to be worse before my period.

3) I have never had regular cycles. I guess I average about 4 periods a year. But when I do get them, wow. They are extremely heavy and painful. At those times I wish I would never get one again!

4) No, I have not had medical insurance for many years and am single. I cannot afford medical care/medicine so try to treat health problems myself. I hope that proper diet and exercise, and maybe some natural remedies will help this problem. Is it possible to take care of PCOS effectively without medication?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:56 PM   #22  
WW Moderator

Yes, you can treat some symptoms without medication, by losing weight. As I stay on low carb, I find that most of my symptoms are decreasing. I am hopeful that as I lose weight the symptoms will keep diminishing.

One problem you cannot fool around with is the Insulin Resistance, if you are IR. You do not want to develop Diabetes. Losing weight and cutting out insulin spiking food is critical so that doesn't happen! PCOS makes you higher risk to develop both Diabetes and Heart Disease. Taking Metformin for that would decrease your chances of those. At minimum, dietary restrictions should be in place.

If birth control pills are affordable to you, you might want to consider that route. Can your local health department give you an exam and pills? That would help get your periods in line, and hopefully make them lighter and less painful. I started on BCP's about 4 months ago, and I haven't broken out since. I also use a tretinoin cream on my face at night, but breakouts were still occasional until I started BCP's.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:01 AM   #23  
WW Moderator

BTW, are supplements an option for you? I do not take Met anymore. I am getting ready to start taking Alpha Lipoic Acid again. My doctor says there isn't any proof it does much, but then again a lot of doctors don't like natural supplements. There is an email group for natural treatments for PCOS - I think they are on Yahoogroups. They might be a good resource for you. If you are interested, I'll be happy to look for the address!
Old 08-13-2003, 11:10 PM   #24  

Thank you for the response. That email group sounds great. Did the alpha-lipoic-acid help you? I am taking Chromium Picolinate and multi-vitamin and mineral supplements which seem to help a little. I am also wondering about Dong Quai.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:37 PM   #25  
WW Moderator

Here is the page that has the discussion lists: http://www.pcolist.org/

The Natural list is the one that discusses the natural treatments. I'm not sure if the ALA helped me or not. I was taking it, but did not lose weight. I went back on the Glucophage and still did not lose, so then changed diets, and that worked. It may have been working for me, but I didn't give it enough of a chance. My pills just came in the mail, so I think I will start it back in the morning.

I haven't read anything about the Dong Quai...
Old 08-14-2003, 05:41 PM   #26  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer 3FC

Regular Cycles: Had hysterectomy 3 years ago. I still have ovaries though, and I really have no idea if my cycles are regular.
I havent had the officiall Diagnosis yet of PCOS.. but In September I want to go see an endocrinologist. But I am low carbing it now. I get my blood work results next week.

I have acne in a BAD WAY! I also have the excess hair and hair loss on the top of my head!

I have Never had a regular cycle from day one. I have gone as long as 3 months with out a period.

I havent been on metformin yet.. although the dr said he most likely will put me on it. Now this is my OB/GYN I still want to see an endocrynologist.

Jennifer - I might have to have a hysterectomy too. I have endometriosis and 3 weeks ago I had a Laporoscopy. He said I was so bad that if the pain doesnt subside, I will have to have a hysterectomy. How are you handling that part of it? Are you on hormone therapy? I am terrified of that becasue ever since my last child, every BCP I have ever been put on has caused me major side effects, especially headaches and high BP, and I have had to be taken off them immediately. Any input on this you can send my way would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-15-2003, 01:22 AM   #27  

Smile Thank you

Thanks so much for the information Jennifer. By the way, you guys have a wonderful website and provide a great service here.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:10 PM   #28  
WW Moderator

I had only a partial hysterectomy. They took my uterus, but I still have my ovaries. At least for now. I am on BCP at the time. The doctor is trying to shrink my cysts because they are fairly large. If that doesn't work, then they will remove them surgically. She wants to keep me on BCP's until menopause. Once I hit that point, I won't ovulate anymore and then I won't make anymore cysts.

The other alternative for me is to have my ovaries removed. If that happens, I will try natural hormone therapy first. My mom got off of hormones and uses natural creams and they are working fine for her. From what I understand, all women do not respond to the natural creams, so that would be a risk for me.
Closed Thread