PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #1  
attack panda

Default New to the Beach with PCOS and trying to conceive

Hello all!
I'm new here and to the SB diet. We started in on Monday the 2nd.

Just to give ya a little background on me: I am 30, I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1997...2 years after the birth of my first child. I've been 100 lbs. overweight since then, and no one has been able to to give me a good answer in regards to weight loss other than throwing more pills at me. Actually, one endocrinologist offered the gastric bypass surgery, but I decided against it for now.

Well, my hubby and I decided we want to have another baby, so I went to the doctor. He recommended the SBD, and is sending me to the fertility clinic on the 16th.

Hopefully we will achieve pregnancy, and lose weight as well. It would be really wonderful if my PCOS symptoms would abate...or at least slow down (especially the hirsutism), but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, I'm really glad this forum is here, and I look forward to making friends.
attackpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Hi Panda, I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply. This forum has gotten quiet over the months and I sometimes forget to pop in.

Good luck on your weight loss! Right now I am only following a low calorie diet. 1200-1600 a day, and I'm exercising and lifitng weights. I exercise 6 days a week. I'm not on Met at the time, but I do have a prescription for it. I've been a terrible procrastinator about it and have been looking at the bottle for about 6 months. I didn't take it because we're writing a book, and from past experience it makes me ill, and I don't have time for that right now. Really though, it's one of those things I have to make time for, and I need to act on it, so the plan is to start it tonight.

How often do you exercise?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #3  
Keeper of the Cheerios

S/C/G: 218/209/170

Height: 5'4

I am also trying to get pregnant again and am about 50lbs overweight still. Currently I am taking Yasmin (bcp) while I lose weight but I will stop taking that after my next visit to the RE this month. He also prescribed Fortmet (XR met) and told me to follow the south beach diet. I have lost about 18lbs and am excited to get working on having #3.
fl_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:50 AM   #4  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I am in almost the same situation as you, Panda-- my daughter is two, we're trying to conceive, and I was just diagnosed as "borderline" PCOS. I'm currently on Avandia for the insulin resistance, which my doc thinks will help us conceive. If we haven't conceived by August she's putting me on Clomid.
AmyMCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #5  
baby wisper

hi all i have also been in the same situation i was diagnaosed with pcos at the age of 16 and at the age of 18 me and dp was trying for a baby i have had all sorts of tests done and then i was put on metformin i was on these for 4 years and i never had any luck and last feb i was put on clomid and it worked first time round i couldnt belive my eyes i now have a little girl mia who is 8 months old i have also took 2 month worth of clomid since and i have not concived so now i am concentration on looseing my weight first dont give up girls
love baby wisper
baby wisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #6  

Default PCOS/Insulin Resistance

Hi! I am a sufferer of PCOS which the doc has determined was caused by Insulin Resistance. My hubby and I are trying to have a baby and have been for over 2 years. Just this week, the doctor has decided to put me on Glucophage, which is a diabetes medication, to see if it will relieve my insulin resistance problems, which include PCOS, being overweight, hair loss, skin patches, etc....(the list goes on). It will be great if this one medication, taken once a day will relieve all these symptoms AND give me the ability to concieve a child. Don't feel alone...I'm right there with you girl!!!!!
smileitsme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:08 AM   #7  

Hi.. I just wanted to say that I have PCOS and am insulin resistant. I have found that through following the sbd and exercising that my cycle has become very regular, and my other PCOS issues have eased.

We will be trying to conceive in a few months and have found charting my ovulations and getting to know my fertile cycle to be really helpful. Here is a link to the Billings method which has some great information on conception and ovulation.. knowing how to identify when you ovulate will increase your chances of achieving a pregnancy.

http://www.woomb.org/

Good Luck and babydust your way
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote