PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:44 AM   #1  

Red face Very confused

Hello all! As of Tuesday I was diagnosed with PCOS. One thing I'm not sure of is what my menstrual cycle really means for me now. I've had ultrasounds of my ovaries and do have the typical string of cysts hugging the outsides of them. If I do have a period now does it mean that I am ovulating, or can I still have a period and not be ovulating at all? I am not at present trying to get pregnant but I just feel confused about my chances. If any one can answer this for me you would be my hero

Thanks, Kassie

Last edited by Ms.K; 03-10-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Ms.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/181/130

Height: 5 feet

Smile

i have the exact same problem,and hey i got diagnosed with PCOS at 15,the best treatment u could go for is the pill,though i recommend yasmin or one that contains little hormone(talk to your doctor because many who go for the pill end up retaining an awful amount of water),now you can still ovulate while on your period,hope i helped

Last edited by littlechick; 03-10-2005 at 09:28 AM.
littlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #3  

Thanks littlechick, my gyno is putting me on yasmin. I guess what I was trying to ask is does ovulation have to occur to have a period? Could I still be having a period with no ovulation at all? I must sound so silly. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #4  
Krister

Hi there--I am brand-new to this forum (hi!) but have been around the block a few times with my PCOS and fertility issues and I am here to tell you that yes, absolutely it is possible to have a period and NOT ovulate.
Krister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #5  

Thanks