PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 08:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Question Could I have PCOS???

Hi everyone,
I am a mod over on the general diet plans section, and have recently come over here to check out this section for another reason, and reading about the symptoms of PCOS surprised me ENTIRELY!!!
I wanted to tell you all a little bit about some of the "symptoms" that I have...I never even thought of them as "symptoms" before...just little problems that I had been somehow "blessed" with.
I am 28 years old, and everything was seemingly fine when I was a teenager, except for the fact that my face was always a touch "fuzzy". Over my cheek area and chin, I have fine downy white/blondish hair on it that I usually take care of with waxing...and I also wax my upper lip every two weeks...because THAT hair is not so blonde!
When I was a teenager I had the normal zit or two-no big deal, but as I neared my 20's and became an adult, I started getting acne. I have suffered with acne since I was about 19 years old-and I am now 28. I tried Noxema, Neutrogena, Clearasil, Oxy, antibiotics, Clean and Clear, Retin-A, and just about every other product out there-the only thing I have had any success with is the Proactiv Solution kit, and the Dermafina Kit...both which run $40-$50 for a two months supply. Mind you-I am not zit free with these kits-but they work better than anything else. I still have a handful of zits at all times, that I cover up with oil free foundation.
I was also a gestational diabetic when I was pregnant-and gave birth to a 10lb. 4oz. girl who was 23 inches long, and later a 9lb. 4oz. boy who was induced a month early due to his size...at my due date he would have neared or hit the 11 pound mark. I am at a higher risk for aquiring diabetes and I am currently trying to control my diet and weight to delay this.
I also found that while I was a teenager I had a healthy sex drive (bad girl!!!) but that as an adult (with the onset of the acne, etc.) that I have little interest in sex...my poor husband-we have sex about once a month, and I could really do without it being that frequent.
I also have recently noticed a change in my periods...they used to be every 28 days on the dot-starting the same day of the week every 4 weeks...I knew I was pregnant with my first child at age 22 by the end of the first "late day" because they were so regular. I noticed some changes after having my second child...and now I don't know when or where they will start. They happen every month, but it could be 25 days-it could be 30, and it now varies from heavy and 5 days this time, to spotting for 9 days the next...
Another symptom is that when I was a child I had thick glorious hair, and as I grew into adulthood, it slowly started thinning some, and after I had my son my hair started falling out quite a bit-thinning mostly in the top where I have bangs and part my hair...it is now cut short so that I can "fluff/tease/cover" that area...but it really upsets me. My doctor thought that it was the change in hormones after giving birth, and sometimes that happens...but my "baby" is now 2 1/2 years old! It should have grown back by now if that was the problem.
I also am frequently tired, and I do have problems with my weight. What do you think-should I be concerned and get tested? What does the testing involve?
Thanks for answering my questions!
Aphil
I also

Last edited by aphil; 11-06-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:42 PM   #2  

Have you every had your thyroid tested? I have PCOS, but I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis first and several of your symptoms are consistent with an underactive thyroid! Unfortunately, PCOS is one of those secondary conditions that often accompanies hypothyroidism. You could have both...
Old 11-06-2003, 04:43 PM   #3  

Also- I can related about the BIG babies! My first was 10 pounds, 11 ounces!!
Old 11-06-2003, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I had my thyroid tested right after having my second child when my hair started falling out...but at the time it came back alright. I would think that if I had anything else, that it would be insulin resistance or something similar-because I am at high risk for adult onset diabetes, due to my gestational diabetes, and adult onset diabetes running in my family-my mother's sister had it and passed away a few years ago due to not following diet/exercise/etc. properly.
I had an emergency D&C immediately following the birth of my daughter (my first baby) due to complications with her size. I had an assisted delivery (vacuum extraction) because she was too large to push out, and because of her size-my uterus pretty much "gave up" and was not strong enough after being so stretched out for so long to contract to release the placenta properly and I started hemorraging. They said it wasn't so much her weight, but her frame that was the problem-pushing out 10 pounds of fat chubby baby wouldn't have been so bad, but that she was 23 inches, had a 15 inch head, and a 15 inch chest-broad shoulders, etc...which is why they took my son a month early...he STILL had a 15 inch head, but the rest of his frame was slightly smaller.
I am definitely going to take some of this information down and take it to my doctor...now that I think of it-my aunt and my grandmother both had hysterectomies as well...and I have never asked why...maybe I will check into that as well.
Aphil
Old 11-07-2003, 02:43 AM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Wow..sounds like the classical signs of PCOS to me. I went through the same stuff and wondered what was up. Sure enough, it was PCOS. Thank God I have a nice Endocrinologist now who understands and doesnt look at me funny.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:34 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Aphil, your story sounds just like mine! I would ask your Gyno to test you or see an endocrinologist. Many general doctors still do not know enough about it. If your doctor says tests are not necessary, go to another doctor. They can draw bloodwork for your hormone levels, and also look at your ovaries for cysts. You can have only some of the symptoms and still have PCOS.

I have my symptoms under control with the right kind of diet (no refined carbohydrates) and exercise. Let us know if you have any questions!
Closed Thread