PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 09:49 AM   #1  

Question New PCOS Chick With Questions

Hello! I have been reading all of the posts in this forum and have learned so much! I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. I also have IR and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I have been following Atkins for the last 3 weeks and I am down 8 pounds. It seems like a low carb WOE is the only way that will work for me!

For the past 6 months I have been having really screwy periods. I have always had Mennorhaghia (really really heavy periods), but this is even beyond that. I am bleeding every other week. IT IS AWFUL! One week on, one week off. SO - I went to my gyno who did an ultrasound. He found some cysts but was not concerned about them. He recommended I have an endometrial ablation done. (BCP's are not an option for me because my sister had 2 blood clots).

Here's my question for you. Doesn't PCOS usually cause the other extreme? I usually read that women with this have very light periods.

Another question - He wants to do an endometrial biopsy. I am really scared! He told me to take 3 Advil beforehand to help with the cramping. Has anyone else had one of these done?

Looking forward to any info you can share!
Old 11-02-2003, 11:55 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

I heard the biopsies do cause cramping, and they aren't all that fun, BUT I've also heard of a lot of things that hurt worse! Take the Aleve, but I'd ask him for a prescription for something nice and dazing for afterward.

I had very hard periods before my hysterectomy, but also had problems with fibroids. I wish I could help more with this, but I had a hysterctomy 5.5 years ago and have forgotten most of that!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:37 AM   #3  
Rattie Lover

Default Welcome To The Forum!!

WELCOME AMYDOODLE!!!

Gosh..you sound like me with the period thing. I was bleeding all the time it seemed..and heavy too!! I finally got sick of being sick and tired and drained from losing all of that blood and had a hysterectomy. I have NO regrets!! Best thing I ever did. While I had that done the DR. also worked on my ovaries...so it made it an even better reason to have surgery. My ovaries were full of cysts, junk, etc..so the DR. cauterized the ovaries and I will say what a difference it has made! I have lost 40 pounds since my surgery and I keep losing more. YAY! I also was put on Glucophage and I think that has helped alot too with the weight loss. As far as my diet, I cut out almost all sugars, fast foods, fried foods, junk foods, etc. I do have that occasional "treat" once in a while..but I am refuse to be a snack hog again like I once was. I get the thrill of seeing my clothes get looser and looser each day..that's motivation enough for me.

Hope this helps and welcome again to the forum!!
Old 11-05-2003, 09:38 AM   #4  

Angry I survived!

Well, I survived the biopsy. I am really glad it is over. I was okay until they had to dilate my cervix. That hurt! But my doc will have the results back by next week. He said he did not expect anything abnormal.

I have scheduled the endometrial ablation for December 5. Has anyone else had this done? He said that 90% of women have a great outcome. 10% of women don't see any improvement. So I guess my odds are pretty good.

My problem has been having periods more than once a month. They are also HEAVY!! This seems like it is a hormonal thing. Do any of you see an Endocrinologist? I have been seeing my regular DR. and my Gyno, but I am wondering if it would help me to see an Endo as well.

What do you think? Let me know! Amy
Old 11-06-2003, 05:51 AM   #5  
Rattie Lover

I would definitely go to the Endocrinologist. I am sooo glad I did!! I dont think I would of progressed this far if I hadn't. Just make sure you have one that knows about PCOS. If you dont, you might get funnily talked too with phrases like "Its all in your head...you just need to exercise...blah blah". An endocrinologist who knows about PCOS will understand and should be compassionate and caring. Thank God I found one!!! Only took me over 10 years. hehehee..

Take care!!
Closed Thread