PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:11 AM   #1  

Default Diagnosed with PCOS......have questions....

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer in 1991 and had my thyroid removed. I've seen several different endo's since then and finally 4 years ago found one I liked and have stayed with her. She is always adjusting my Synthroid meds because she wanted to keep me suppressed enough so my cancer didn't come back. She now feels it safe enough to bring my levels back to normal because I've been cancer free for over 12 years. She is now gradually adjusting my Synthroid. I had an appointment yesterday with her and while I was there she mentioned PCOS and asked me several questions and I answered yes to all of them. She said I have all the classic signs of PCOS and told me I pretty much definately have it but gave me a lab slip to have alot of blood work done to confirm it. I asked why I was never diagnosed with this before and she said because of all my thyroid issues it kind of mimics the PCOS. She said she will be putting me on Glucophage when I go back to her. I was doing alot of research last night on the computer regarding medications and I am very confused. I read stuff about Glucophage, GlucophageXR, and Metformin. I was wondering if anyone could simplify these for me about the differences, and side effects. She also recommended that I start a low carb eating plan and praised Sugar Busters. It's funny because I already started Sugar Busters 5 weeks. She also stated that once I get on the meds it will help me with the weight loss. Is this correct.....does it really help with that??? Also, do any of you have thyroid problems along with the PCOS??? Any other input on PCOS would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all you support.

SkySyd
Old 09-14-2003, 09:57 AM   #2  

I too have PCOS. I was diagnosed when my husband and I could not conceive a child. I went to an endocrinologist and after all of the eight tubes of blood, I was finaly diagnosed. The dr. also done a vaginal ultrasound. There is a certain way your ovaries should look. Mine had what they call the "pearl necklace effect".
I was put on Metfornin (same as glucophage), synthroid, baby aspirin, and prenatal vitamins. My insulin was 22 and by my next appt they had gotten it down to 8. I had to see a dietician. She put me on a low fat, high fiber diet. (the diet is posted on the thread "what is your most sucessful weight loss program".) I lost 25 lbs in the first month and lost a total of 60 in 3 or 4 months. I ended up just quitting because of the stomach upset from the glucophage. I have gained all of my weight back and still do not have a child. The good thing is I am back on it!!!!

Just trust your Dr. and do what she thinks it best and you will be fine. I have heard the symptoms will never go away but they will be greatly reduced with the proper meds and care. Taking the meds stopped my hair from falling out, which was one of my biggest problems. I hope my big long rant of my story helps answer some of your questions, if not let me know I will try to cotain myself long enough to post again....

Good luck and I will check back later!!
Old 09-18-2003, 04:07 PM   #3  
Amy Needs New Shoes

HI! Cassandra I love your photos! You're beautiful and so are your babies! I have 3 beautiful kittys and a chocolate pomeranian. Such a joy. Sky, I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001. I have had hypothyroidism since I was about 19. My new doctor (who I LOVE) changed my med from synthroid to armour thyroid. It is supposed to be a more natural med than synthroid (never realized that meant synthetic). It made a world of difference in me. I am also on glucophage XR. I have had a lot of problems actually taking care of myself so I have been forced to increase my dose to 1500mg a day. And I desperately need to start a weight loss plan. I was thinking about the South Beach Diet or Sugar Busters (my doc suggested either one). I got a lot of information from www.pcosupport.org and their mailing lists. I've learned a lot about myself and it feels good to know what has been wrong with me most of my life. Good luck. You can do it!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:56 PM   #4  

Shoequeen, if you look in the pcos forum you will see a thread called "whats been your most sucessful weightloss plan" I posted the diet that I was put on when I was diagnosed. I think Jennifer3fc started the thread. Read though that and see if that helps. If you cant find it pm me and I will send it to you. Good luck!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 12:23 PM   #5  
Amy Needs New Shoes

Thanks Cassandra! Theres so much information here I'm getting addicted!
Old 09-19-2003, 07:50 PM   #6  

Yep!! Once you get started posting, its easy just to go nuts. I can stay on here for hours!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:25 AM   #7  
Rattie Lover

Default Welcome Skysyd & Shoequeen69!

Welcome skysyd! Welcome shoequeen69!

You're in the right place!! I love the support system we have here! Got a great group of wonderful girlies!!

Last edited by Noodles913; 09-23-2003 at 10:31 AM.
Closed Thread