PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:51 PM   #1  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Question Diagnosing Insulin Resistance, How?

I've never heard of insulin resistance before, is there testing for it? How does one know they have it, and how can your doctor diagnose it?
Diana
Old 08-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #2  
God, Give me strength !!

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'7

Here is something that is easy to understand I hope this helps to explain IR

All meals become sugar
After you eat a meal, whether steak or vegetables or fish, it all gets broken down into usable energy for the body — sugar. While there are proteins and amino acids and other molecules that are obtained from our diets, sugar, or glucose, is the main energy source for our cells and especially our brains. So, to keep things simple let's say that food and beverages (except water) become sugar that will be transported via the blood to the tissues, muscles, and organs.

Insulin: The key to sugar entry into cells
Insulin is the hormone responsible for getting the sugar shuttled into our cells for use as energy. Insulin is frequently described as the 'key' that unlocks the door to our cells allowing energy to enter. The cells in our body can become resistant or less sensitive to insulin and fail to open the door. This condition is known as insulin resistance and is a pre-cursor to diabetes.

When our cells don't respond to insulin, excessive amounts of sugar are left to float around in the bloodstream, this is known as hyperglycemia. If not used, the excess sugar can then be converted to and stored as fat. In addition to causing obesity, the excess sugar can create problems in blood vessels and nerves, as is seen with poorly controlled diabetes. Without realizing that the cell is resistant to insulin, and in an attempt to correct the situation, the body responds to the excess sugar by releasing more insulin, which perpetuates the problem.

Insulin Resistance Promotes Fat Storage
Elevated insulin levels increase the transport of fatty acids, also obtained from our diet, into fat cells. When fat cells are stuffed with high levels of fat, the body beings to manufacture more fat cells. While the body is able to add new fat cells, it is impossible to reduce the number of existing fat cells via natural means.

So insulin resistance promotes fat storage by the conversion of sugar to fat and fat cell stuffing. To make matters worse, when the body becomes resistant to insulin, the metabolic rate of the fat cell itself is also affected. Remember — fat cells can give up FFAs and other molecules to provide energy for the body in times of food shortage. Insulin resistance causes fat cells to be broken down at a slower rate because there appears to be plenty of fuel (sugar) around already.

Diagnosing Insulin Resistance..............

How are insulin resistance and diabetes diagnosed?

Insulin resistance should be diagnosed by measuring insulin levels — fasting levels alone, or with a glucose tolerance test plus insulin (sometimes called an IGTT). Diabetes may be diagnosed based on blood glucose levels alone.

I know this alot, but I hope it helps u some
Old 08-21-2003, 12:44 AM   #3  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks, that's alot of info I know that my blood glucose levels are more likely ot be low. I have more of a problem going into a hypoglycemic state. So I don't think I could ahve IR.
Diana
Old 08-22-2003, 09:36 AM   #4  

If you have problems with hypoglycemia you may be insulin resistant. Your body can't get the glucose into your cells so it releases more and more insulin and then you have so much insulin it makes you hypoglycemic. I was diagnoised as hypoglycemic years ago and told not to eat sugar, recently I finally found a doctor who would test me for insulin resistance and I have it. He put me on Metformin and I feel 100 times better. No more hypoglycemic moments. I still have to be careful with the sugar but I don't feel like I am going to pass out if I don't eat every 4 hours. It is worth trying to get tested. Too much insulin is really bad for you.

Good Luck
Old 08-31-2003, 11:44 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Doctors can test for this with a blood test. You need to fast beforehand. Endocrinologists are the most familiar with it, and next would probably be any gyno that is familiar with PCOS. Family docs can do it too, but the ones I listed are more familiar with PCOS and the side effects of it.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:00 AM   #6  
Rattie Lover

I took that test..MAN did it make me sick! I was dizzy, shaking, nauseated, room was spinning, plus I was STARVING! Supposedly it doesn't do that to everyone...but for myself...I just did not feel good during and after. I think it was because of the combo of having to fast and having them take my blood several times. Hubby had to come and get me and drive me home. I thought I would be fine, tough, blah blah, but no way was I driving after that. So if anyone has to take this test, try to get a ride there and back just to be safe.

Noodles
Closed Thread