PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

View Poll Results: As a woman with Pcos my biggest problem is
Weight loss 33 63.46%
Conception 7 13.46%
Acne 5 9.62%
Hair growth 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 01:48 PM   #1  

Question PCOS Questions

Hi there, have some questions for pcos ladies out there.

1. What diet are you on?
2. Do you have acne?
3. Do you have regular cycles?
4. Have you tried medication such as Metformin?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2001, 10:27 AM   #2  
karen3000

Good questions!

1. I have recently been successful with SugarBusters. Right now I'm in a standstill for a lot of reasons, but I'm trying to stick to it and I haven't gained back any of the 23 pounds I've lost since the end of January. Can't tell you how many times I have tried WW and it just didn't do much for me.

2. I used to have worse skin. I am 45 now and my skin is better. It is really related to my cycle and I do break out at certain points in the cycle, which isn't regular so I don't know when it will happen.

3. No, my cycles will be regular for 5 or 6 months and then will change or be irregular for several months and then may be regular again for awhile. I used to have really bad cramps for about 4 hours (even happened the day of my wedding, right after the ceremony!) and then that stopped and I had mostly anovulatory periods. Now, I'm back to the really bad cramps, especially in my back. When I was a patient at an infertility clinic in the late 80's, I was put on clomid and I was still ovulating only every 40 to 50 days. Never got pregnant, but I didn't want to do the injections. (We adopted instead and I have never had any regrets!) I was put on the pill for about a year or so to get my period regulated and that helped for awhile. Seemed like I lost a few pounds then, also. Now that I'm getting into the age range of peri-menopause, I don't know if that's affecting my cycle.

4. No. I haven't been doctoring for the PCOS because I just kind of forgot about it until the last few years. I had years of electrolysis to take care of most of the facial hair and I wasn't trying to get pregnant, and during those years there wasn't much known about PCOS. My concerns now involve the other conditions that can be associated with PCOS, heart problems, diabetes, etc. I guess I will have to pursue this again in my next physical in a few weeks.

I'm really glad I noticed this forum since I mostly go right to the SugarBusters forum. I'm sure some of those ladies who have mentioned that they have PCOS will be checking this site out, as I just posted a note there that I had found this forum.

I'll be checking back to see what others have to say. I'm sure I will learn alot from those of you who are much more up to date on this syndrome than I am!

Karen

Old 08-15-2001, 11:58 AM   #3  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Hi Karen!
Thanks for telling me about this!!!!

PCOS Questions

1. What diet are you on?
My endocrinologist put me on Sugar Busters - check out the Sugar Busters thread if you're interested. The first post in the weekly support thread has tons of links to more information.

2. Do you have acne?
Yes, but it's getting MUCH BETTER - I attribute it to Sugar Busters and drinking LOTS of water!

Yes, but I've been on the pill since I was 18 yrs old. I'm 32 now. That's probably one of the reasons it was so hard to diagnose for me.

I just posted all the stuff I'm on one one of the other threads on this forum. I'll post the link if I can.

I'm interested in learning how others are handling this. I don't have kids right now, but want to some time before I'm 40, but not for at least another 2-3 years.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:04 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

Hi!

My Diet: I have recently started a low carb plan, my own mish-mash until I pick one. I used to be on WW, and I wish I could stay on it, but LowCarb is the only way I think I will be able to go.

Acne: Yes, but only on the jawline. I took Doxycycline for it for a few months and it was great, I was so clear! Now I use Avita cream and it is still breaking out mildly on my chin, but not like it was!

Regular Cycles: Had hysterectomy 3 years ago. I still have ovaries though, and I really have no idea if my cycles are regular.

Metformin? Yes. I feel much better on it now that my stomach is used to it. I hope it will help, but I have only been on it for 3 months and I didn't start low carb until recently so I don't know how helpful it is with weight loss. Breaking out has stopped, as has my hair loss.

How about you?
Old 08-30-2001, 03:32 AM   #5  

Angry pcos questions

Hello. Let me see if I can remember all of the questions.

1. My diet: I am currently on Miridia (1 week). As I have some other health problems I am basically doing the weight watcher's point system at home and watching my carbs.

2. Acne: I had it severly on my back for many years. I feel fortunate that I didn't have it on my face much and it was of the cystic variety. I am 37 now and it seems to have cleared up a lot. I only get the occasional giant mass on my chin or upper lip. I found that the birth control pill Ortho-tri-cyclen really helped me. I've noticed a big difference (not for the good) since I've quit taking it.

3. I had very regular cycles the first several years I had periods. I went on birth control pills in 1985 when I got married and stopped taking them in 1988 when we decided to try to get pregnant. Ever since then the only way I can have regular periods is if I'm on birth control pills. Sort of a hormone replacement theory.

4. I've never taken Metformin. Because of a condition in my family my doctors have always shied away from that route for me.

I have been very fortuneate in that I don't have hair loss and the birth control pills have helped with my facial hair. Although I do have to shave my chin and neck. I was not able to have electrolisis due to scarring problems. My arms are pretty hairy and I need to shave my legs daily to keep from looking like one of my dogs.

Hope this answers your questions. I would like to be in contact with others trying to lose weight with pcos.

All my best,
Jody
245/just beginning/140
Old 02-11-2002, 12:37 PM   #6  

Talking

1 I am currently doing Weight Watchers. I have lost 9 & 1/4 lbs in 14 days. I stay away from eatting pasta, potatoes and bread whenever possible, but I do have bread from time to time. So I'm just watching my carb intake.

2 I used to have terrible acne and then I was perscribed accutane and took that for 6 months and now I am not bothered with it except time to time or when AF is on the way. (But NOTHING like it was in the past)

3 I didn't use to have regular cycles, especially in my teen years, but as I've aged they have became more regular for me. Usually I will get AF anytime been cd 32-35. So its gotten a little better for me.

4 And yes I have tried Glucophage Xr/Met 1500mgs for 9 months (did not lose weight and did not conceive) and was taken off of it because I had a liver test come back not so good.(make sure to get blood tests done to check your liver when on this drug) It started making me have the bathroom boogies ALL the time, so wasn't to good on my colon. So I am now on Actos and I haven't had any symptoms from this drug at all.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/327/250

Height: 5'5

I Have ENDOMETRIOSIS misdiagnosed as PCOS for years.

1. just started diet. Just gonna watch what I eat and exercise more.

2. not anymore.

3. I don't get periods anymore. I lost an ovary and a tube a few years ago due to endometriosis and they had to be removed. I had regular periods for about a year and then the severe pain returned. My doc started me on Depo Provera shots and I stopped menstruating about 2 years ago. Its been the BEST time of my life. Its not for everyone but it saved my sanity.

4. haven't needed to try it yet.

Just a note to those with very painful periods. Its hard to diagnose Endometriosis with out an internal inspection. ENDO can look like PCOS and is diagnosed as it alot of the time. Treatment is different. Look up the symptoms of ENDO and see if you have them. PCOS and ENDO are treated differently and unfortunally it is missed. Had it been diagnosed earlier I probably would still have both ovaries. Make sure your doc has considered ENDO when Diagnosing you with PCOS.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:52 AM   #8  

1.What diet are you on?

I am trying Sugar busters. I have lost 10lbs since the 1st of Jan.

2. Do you have acne?

Yes, I do have acne. Not too bad, some on the back, and chin area and jawline.

3.Do you have regular cycles?

No, I have to take Progestrone to make my cycle start. I am trying to get pregnant, so BC is not an option for me.
I have had some spontanious periods, but, they are few and far between.

I am taking Glocophage 2000mg per day. It has changed my life as far as the insulin, testoserone level, weight. It bothered me at 1st, but my system seems to have gotten use to it and now I am taking it every day with out any trouble. I think that it has helped me a whole bunch!

I hope this helps.
Pravda
Old 02-12-2002, 10:55 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Wow, suddenly we got more posts here! I don't know what brought you here but I am glad you came. My life has changed since the last post on this thread. I am no longer on Glucophage. I was always in the bathroom and I felt toxic so I have quit taking it and changed to ALA and Chromium Picolinate.

Welcome!
Old 03-23-2002, 02:43 PM   #10  

Hi, My name is Anna.....

1. I am on sugar busters and have lost about 14 lbs. since 2/4/02. It is the only way of eating that has worked for me since I gained all the weight. I also joined TOPS (Take Pounds Off Sensibly) www.tops.org

2. I am on glucophage, spiralactone, and prozac... all due to my PCOS. Since starting on the meds.. I have less hair on my face, but i still have hairy arms and legs.

3. I was not diagnosed with PCOS until 3 yrs ago when I went to new gynocologist due to heavy heavy periods. Soon after I had a hysterectomy but PCOS still persisted. That is when I went to endrochonologist and got on meds.. He recommended Sugar Busters, but it took me 1 yr. to get my act together and do it.

4. if anyone want so email me, I am on [email protected].

I am 43 and have two teenagers born before my PCOS reared its ugly head.

SB since 2/4/02
239/225/199(dr's goal)/150(my goal)
Old 03-23-2002, 10:59 PM   #11  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

PEACHROSES, just wanted to let you know we have an SUGAR BUSTERS SUPPORT BOARD right here on the 3FC'S SITE if you are interested in joining us

Our link is:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=62

GOOD LUCK!

Debbie
194/120.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 04-13-2002, 03:38 AM   #12  

1. What diet are you on?
i have never done any formal programs, i try and take what i think is the best for me from diets and just make them a normal part to my life. i try to make sure that i have an equal balance of protien and carbs at each meal. eg with pasta i have more meat suace than i would have before and less pasta

2. Do you have acne?
i used to have to b4 i went on diane 35 and started taking doxycyline

yes now im on the pill, but b4 that no

the only things i have taken are diane 35 and doxycyline

my top weight was about 260lbs, now im 170lbs. i want to get down to 150-160lbs, im 5'11. i believe the key to winning this war with our bodies is to exercise, i try to exercise at least 5 times a week. it also keeps u motivated when ur weight isnt dropping, but ur strength is increasing, it makes it less a food failer issue. and remember that as ur weight goes down that ur PCOS can also get better, i do know its a huge horrid cycle, cant lose weight, lose weight pcos gets better, cant lose... ect.....

goodluck...
Old 05-20-2002, 05:35 PM   #13  

1. I'm on weight watchers, and have been pretty successful so far. I've lost almost 25 pounds of the 50+ I need to lose to be in a healthy range. I've recently started to eat high protein/low carb (following the guidelines in "The Insulin Resistance Diet", there is a thread started about this book - I highly reccommend it!)

2. I've never really had acne problems, not even as a teenager. In fact, I have really dry skin.

3. I'm on the pill, so I have regular cycles. But without the pill I don't have regular cycles at all. I never have. When I was 17 I didn't have a period for 6 months, then I had one that lasted about 6 weeks. It was the red flag that got me tested for PCOS.

4. I haven't tried metformin or any similar drug. I've only been on the pill.
Old 05-27-2002, 12:24 PM   #14  

1. I'm doing a low GI, low fat diet with excercise. It's goin ok. No spectacular weight loss, but I'm not really trying that hard cause I am useless at diets. I'm still searching for the perfect diet really.

2. I have "mild" acne, but every single day of my life since I was 11 I have had at least one spot on my face so I don't consider it mild at all

3. My cycle has always been irregular, but from Janruary to September 2001 I had no periods at all. I was really worried and so I tried the herb vitex. 14 days later I got a period. Since then I have visited a herbalist and now get AF's. They are still not regular however.

4. I am on metformin 1500mg and it has given me my life back. Before I went on it I just kept gaining and gaining and was starving all the time. I couldn't be without it. I really couldn't.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:08 AM   #15  

1. Not following a specific low carb diet, but restricting carbs, increasing protien, water and exercise.

2. Can't really complain about acne. Biggest complaints are infertility, weightloss, irregular cycle and hair thinning.

3. No regular cycles.

4. I have been on Metformin with alot of success. For various reasons, I stopped. Seeing my doctor on Wednesday to begin treatments again.

Closed Thread