PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #1  

Default Question regarding food

Hi

When I was diagnosed with PCOS 9 months ago, all my doctor told me was that I should control my portion sizes to lower my weight. She never told me anything about reducing carbs or anything else.

Since joining 3FC I have started to realize there's a carb connection. I am a 25 year old Asian, and white rice is a staple for lunch and dinner. I understand it would be better for me to switch to brown rice. Also the diets and books I've read about cater to western eating habits and foods. I find it difficult to adapt to mine.

Can anyone please offer me any advice? I'd be grateful.

TIA!

Last edited by Splendor; 02-21-2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:17 PM   #2  
Jo
Catatonic

Hi,

Is there any way you can get an appointment with a registered dietician? He/she can help you create meal plans specifically tailored to your needs.

I've found that the two most important things for me in managing my PCOS and diabetes are aerobic exercise and portion control. I visited a dietician and found that I can work most things into my food plan. If you need help with the food exchanges, there's a good resource on-line at http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/c...exchanges.html

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2003, 04:31 AM   #3  

Thank you Jo, very sweet of you. I just got finished with grad school recently and don't have insurance. I'm afraid it will be a little while before I can get some professional help. But thank you, I will keep this in mind, and try to do something about it.

Thanks also for the link, that's going to prove pretty useful to me.

I forgot to ask in my last post, regarding brown rice-I have heard conflicting opinions about brown rice, and was wondering if there was anyone here who eats rice atleast once daily, and thinks that brown is truly a good substitute for white.

Many thanks!
Old 05-26-2003, 11:45 AM   #4  

Thumbs down Low-carbing

Hi,

I'm finding what works for me is if I'm going to have carbs, I have those that are whole-grain only (whole wheat, brown rice, for example), and I balance them well with protein, vegetables, and some dairy so my carb portion is always a small one. I'm not one for counting carb grams or completely restricting myself, so I just try to make the healthiest and lowest-carb choice possible at each meal. Hope this helps a little...
Old 05-26-2003, 11:52 AM   #5  
Student of the Hoof

Jo, thank you so much for that link! That's a great little site!
Closed Thread