PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #1  

Talking Birth Control Pills????

I am new to the board but not new to IR. I have some of the symptoms of PCOS, but not all. I was diagnosed with IR about 5 years ago, but have been able to concieve and deliver 2 beautiful kids. My question has to do with BCP's. My doc rx'd Alesse for me last week for heavy periods. I am a bit apprehensive to it. I need some control over heavy periods though. I have never missed a period (unless prego) and they are always on time (regular) but now that I am in my late 30's they are very heavy! Anyone know about this bcp: Alesse and if it will be ok for someone with IR and maybe PCOS? I have only been diagnosed with IR. Thanks@!
bubsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I'm sorry, I can't help.

I think it really depends on your body and how you may react on it.

I went off BCP because I discovered that they help make you more IR, if you're prone to it.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Here's the PCOS BCP thread...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ills-pcos.html

I don't know if that would help any.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #4  
Hopeless Romantic

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I'm on beyaz and so far so good, light periods and no break thru bleeding and i also am loosing weight something i couldnt do before on BCP.
dys24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

I don't know about it's interaction with IR and PCOS, but I can tell you that Alesse (well, I use the generic of it) was the only birth control pill that I never had any adverse side effects from. I've been taking it for 3 years. Everyone is different, but I went through 5 pill prescriptions that made me VERY crazy before I finally got Alesse, and it has never cause me any ill side effects. I hope it works for you as well.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote