PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 07:18 PM   #1  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Default Glucophage Question

I am starting to wonder if I might have mild PCOS. I do know that I am insulin resistant and am starting to continue my Gestational Diabetes diet. I am not taking any medications at this time.

Does taking Glucophage make it easier to lose weight?

What does it do?

Sorry for the novice questions...
Old 09-12-2002, 09:43 PM   #2  

Hello mama--don't feel bad about asking questions--how else are you going to get answers? Glucophage is regularly prescribed to lower blood glucose levels for type 2 diabetics. However, it has been discovered that Glucophage is equally effective for treating PCOS as it is known that PCOS and diabetes are closely linked. To find out if you ave PCOS, you should consult your doctor and ask to get an ultrasound to check for polycystic ovaries and to get bloodwork to determine if your hormone levels are within normal range. Jenniffer stickied some excellent threads above for even better information than what I'm giving. Good luck to you!
Old 09-13-2002, 07:23 AM   #3  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

http://4.43.98.80/forums/showthread....threadid=64987
http://pcos.itgo.com

Gluc allows the body to respond better as it should to the insulin. Insulin controls all the hormones and helps systems. PCOSers take it to help treat the PCOS and revert the body close to normal as possible. Losing weight is easier on gluc but not guarenteed. Its important that you change a diet and continue on with that diet forever. Diabetic Type 2 diet plan is highly recommedned. Gestational is a tad different because its for heling to feed the baby too which means usually more then necessary. Please see a DT2 dietician to get a better plan suitable to you.
Closed Thread