PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #1  

Default How were you diagnosed? Insulin resistance?

Hey everyone! I had one doc to casually mention that I may have PCOS because my periods have never been regular but that was about it. I am gonna ask my regular doc when I see her again about this. Meanwhile...I'm just curious...how did they diagnose you? As far as insulin resistance goes...did you have to have a glucose tolerance test? I remember having lots of blood tests when I was trying to get pregnant many years ago...including hormone tests but they all came back normal. I did get pregnant with my daughter who is 12 now but had to use Clomid. My periods are more regular now but still not monthly. I just wanted to know how you were diagnosed and also how you were diagnosed with insulin resistance. Thanks!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My doctor prescribed metformin, because he felt that he didn't need a glucose tolerance test to tell him I was insulin resistant. He did refer me to an endocrinologist because of my low thyroid levels (too high to medicate, but barely).

The endocrinologists was really miffed that my doctor had prescribed the metformin without "proof" that I was insulin resistant (she had a bit of a rant, actually).

She ran tests, including the glucose tolerance test.

She found my vitamin D levels were low, and I was (yes) insulin resistant.

What's funny is that she acted like the rant had never happened. For that matter, she diagnosed the insulin resistance as if it were a revelation - her discovery not the conclusion of my primary care doctor. She also "explained" insulin resistance to me, as if I'd never heard of it before.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

My A1C levels were over 6 and glucose was borderline pre-diabetic. All my hormone blood levels were "normal" but my periods have always been extremely out of whack (months without it or months with it) and I was getting facial hair, acne after years without it, thinning hair in my bangs, and depression - all signs of PCOS. She said since not all PCOSers have the same set of symptoms, diagnosing is more about gut reaction than it is about running a test and getting a positive answer. She put me on Spironolactone and birth control pills, but not Metformin, and told me to lose weight. Since I'm not trying for a baby, it's more about getting rid of the symptoms for me than fertility right now. And everything looks good, the facial hair is gone (with the help of laser hair removal, but at least I don't have any new ones), the acne is gone, my A1C levels are back under 6, and my periods are regulated on the BC pills. My bangs are still a little thin in places, but I'm not sure that will come back - I just style around it. So far so good!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 12-11-2009 at 01:03 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

For me the biggest test was the ultrasound. On my first ultrasound I had the very characteristic "string of pearls" cysts on both of my ovaries. And lots of them. I also had a CBC, CMP, several Thyroid tests, and some hormone tests.

My testosterone was all out of whack, my insulin resistance test (I think he just judged this from my CMP, but I may be mistaken) and my test results were just over normal.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Leslie, to know if you have Insulin Resistance, they will hopefully test you with both a GTT and also fasting insulin. I've not had any general doctors so far look at me normally when I asked for a repeat fasting insulin. It must just be popular with endocrinologists around here! But they will draw it if I ask. But the fasting insulin, as far as I know, is the one that tells you true insulin resistance because they can measure how much of it is extra and swimming around trying to do it's job.

A combo of this, ultrasounds, and other hormonal bloodwork can tell you if you have enough symptoms to be dx with PCOS as a whole (it's a syndrome and not a disease, so you can have some symptoms and not others and still be diagnosed).

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 12-24-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

My endo did LOTS of different tests, including fasting glucose & insulin. My PCOS was diagnosed by insulin resistance, and my hormones being out of whack. I didn't have any cysts, luckily. But I do have the facial hair, menstrual irregularities, and acne. Everyone has somewhat different symptoms. I would make sure they did as many tests as possible.
Genki is offline   Reply With Quote