PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #1  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Unhappy No menses for 4 months and panicking...

So I'm what people with PCOS call a "skinny cyster" -- even at high weight I wasn't obese in BMI, but probably obese in body fat percentage. I'm also Asian and carry my weigh around my tummy, so that doesn't help... and at high weight I honestly had cholesterol levels of a 400-lb post-heart-attack middle-aged man.

Anyway, I'm considered borderline PCOS - elevated testosterone, some insulin resistance, but not high enough to register as abnormal (I've been tested). But I haven't had my period in 4 months now -- I'm 20 years old and have never been underweight and it was always normal before that, so I'm starting to panic. I really, really love children and it terrifies me that I might not be able to have them in the future. (And just to be clear: I'm celibate and definitely, definitely not preggers :P)

I don't know what to do -- my doctor says it's just from weight loss and I'll be okay, but I somehow don't think that's right... is this because I need to lose more fat to fight PCOS or because I'm starving myself? Is that why I'm not menstruating properly? What's wrong with my hormone levels?

Sorry for this rant... I'm just so worried...
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #2  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

How many calories are you consuming daily?
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think at your weight you are more than fine for your body height. I'm not sure if you should go any lower than 115 lbs honestly. If you feel flabby maybe you could do strength/toning exercises to help tighten up?

That being said I agree how much are you consuming daily? If you aren't eating enough or have too little body fat you usually won't have a period.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #4  
Corporette diet

I actually have a lot of body fat -- and practically no boobs (32AA) or butt, so I know I could stand to lose that weight on my tummy and thighs. But yeah, I would *love* to not lose the weight and instead convert it to muscle... I just don't see it happening... I eat about 1500 calories a day, sometimes more.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

I don't see why you don't see it happening- anyone can build up some muscle and tone. Do you go to a gym? I'd take advantage of all those machines and most gyms give you one free training session as well.

Have you had your body fat % done? Lots of times if you lose weight but don't really train for toning up you still think you have a lot of fat when you might not be too bad. Since you are in a normal weight range on the BMI I'd say you probably don't really have much excess fat and most likely fall within the normal body fat range for a person your size.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #6  
Corporette diet

I don't, no... I don't have time in the next two weeks to really work out (exams!) and then I'm going home where I have no gym access. I was thinking of doing more pilates, which I've just been starting out with very ineffectively... thoughts? I'd prefer to work out in private, maybe I should invest in a resistance band? When I was younger I used to stay (relatively) in shape with fencing, but that's off the table for 2 months while I'm away from school... I don't even know where to begin.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Daisy ~ Honestly, I don't think that you need to lose any more weight; but you could try to concentrate on toning exercises and muscle-building like suggested becuz you can lose a whole size and many inches just by doing that alone.

Plus, I wouldn't let this missing menses thing go -- a visit to your doctor is in order here, becuz my doctor told me that could lead to other health problems down the road, like endometriosis and fertility problems. You may just need to eat differently -- meaning more nutrient-rich foods and take a multi-vitamin with minerals as well.

PS -- sorry, missed the part about your doctor; while he/she may be right that the missing menses could have been caused by the dieting, I'm surprised he/she would say that was OK for a 20 year old young lady.

Also, you could use a stretchie band, some hand weights, and do other toning exercises from home; and you can get lots of programs on dvds these days including Pilates, Tai Chi, Yoga, etc.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-03-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

Yup I agree with JW2BH, there are a lot of toning exercises to do from home. I also would stop with the loss and turn to the toning. I mean even if you take that old rule that says 100 lbs for 5 feet then 5 lbs per inch 115 is more than perfect for your height. I would make sure you are taking vitamins as well if you think you aren't getting all you need from that area.

4 months with no period COULD be because of you diet, but I would definitely get a second opinion if another month passes with no period and you stay at 115 and add your vitamins in.

Good luck.