PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Experiences with Going off BCPs?

I will probably have to talk to my Gyn about this as well but... sometime early next year, I expect to try to go off my birth control pills and see what happens in terms of how I feel, my periods and my weight.

I'm a bit scared, I was first prescribed BCPs about 6 years ago to help control my hormones and PCOS symptoms. I have since lost 150 lbs and I want to see if my body can regulate its own hormones. The pills were also secondarily being used for birth control but that concern is being addressed a different way which leaves me the flexibility to go off the pills without worrying about pregnancy.

Has anyone tried going off their medication after losing weight? What happened?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

What a perfectly timed thread!

I am curious to see what other's experience is.

I went off NuvaRing in early October after being on desogen and then nuvaring for almost 6 years. I have also been charting my temps in order to TTC.

My hormones went crazy the first week after the withdrawl bleeding. I was horribly depressed, had the worst cramps and lower back pain to the point where I was in tears and my face broke out... it was awful. But then things mellowed out and I ovulated on day 18 of my cycle I had a 35 day cycle (unheard of before losing weight and going on bcp). 35 days!!

I spotted for several days, but my actual period was pretty light. My only real complaint is that the premenstrual migraines I had before BCP came back I will probably go to the doc about that one.

The temping was very helpful not only in TTC, but tracking estrogen and progesterone levels.

Things have really evened out. I actually feel more peaceful and relaxed, if that makes sense. As far as weight goes, I don't think it has adversely affected it. In fact, it seems more "stable". I did gain 5 pounds and bloat really bad the first couple of weeks, but that's gone and my weight doesn't fluctuate as much as it used to.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

My experience is the opposite. I don't know if my theory has any basis that can be back up by research, but I swear BCP's are what sent my body out of whack in the first place.

I always struggled with weight, but struggling meant a high of 140 lbs. And I always lost weight easily if I just tried. Then I started BCP's just before my wedding and could NOT lose any weight for the wedding. From there I steadily gained weight, which I thought was normal for a newly married bride. I got pregnant with our first son and never dropped one pound from his birthday. Nursing did not even help. I got pregnant with our second son and again, I did not lose any weight. When we TTC a third child, I had no period, which is when I was diagnosed. It just seems to me that none of my true weight problems started until I started take BC.

I stopped immediately. Of course we were also TTC. But I still have not gone back on them. I haven't noticed any changes positive or negative.

But, the only symptoms I have ever had are: No period (or one every 9 months), weight problems, IR, skin tags (possibly as everyone has a few). I think that's it.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I went off BCPs in August and switched to actos (alternative to met). My cycles are 32 days apart.
The only things I noticed were a few breakouts, my hair is a little oilier than it was and my periods feel more 'real', when on BCPs I hardly got cramps and now that I'm off I get cramps (my abdomen area and back sometimes).
A good thing is my weight is coming off much more easily
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

The only thing I notice when I go off BCP is my hair tends to get a little out of whack. I don't find it any easier to lose weight off BCP. My periods are fairly non-existant with or without BCP. But I may be in the minority because I find that BCP doesn't effect me really negatively.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I stopped my BCP because they were expensive and I often forgot to take them anyways. It didn't seem to have any effect on me, but maybe that's because I didn't take them super regularly. My period was regular on its own for a few months after quitting, but then it started being late again. I am hoping that it regulates itself after I lose a lot more weight.
Genki is offline   Reply With Quote