PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #1  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Default Just discovered this sub-forum!

I just discovered this subforum, and WOW I had no idea there were so many others in my same situation! I have PCOS and have been unable to get pg, even with fertility treatments (2 rounds of injections never even got me to ovulate). We decided to take a year off and let me get this weight off, then next summer we are going to try again. I still have a follistem pen with some meds in it just waiting for me to get my act together! If I can get a good bit of weight off by December, we might try one round just to see if the weight loss helped with ovulation.

Anyway, it is great to see so many other women with the same struggles as me, and I look forward to coming here to share the highs and lows of this condition with you ladies!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #2  

Welcome! I haven't hung out on this forum either but I ought to since getting weight off when PCOS is extra 'fun'! I am supposedly 'borderline' meaning I have symptoms but not enough for the doctor to say "Yes, it's PCOS".

I'm sorry for the fertility stress. Been there, done that. Riding that roller coaster is so very hard. I applaud you for using your time now to get the weight off. I wish I'd gotten more weight off before I had gotten pg. I was able to get pregnant with superovulated IUI (after 2 IVF failures!). We got pregnant with twins. HOWEVER, my twins came 11 weeks early and we BARELY missed losing my daughter. She didn't breathe for 12 minutes! We got the miracle and she's totally fine, she'll be 9 this week!

The main reason they were born so early? My body could not maintain all my bulk + two extra people. It was just too much for it. After all we went through to get pregnant I nealy lost the babies OR caused them to have life-long complications in large part because of my fat. I later carried a singleton at about the same weight and had no problems whatsoever- it was just the multiples thing my fatness couldn't pull off.

Please use my experience for motivation. WHEN you get pregnant, you might also get the 'buy one get one free' bonus and you'll want to be in the best possible shape to carry them. If my daughter had ended up with Cerebral Palsy that *I* could have prevented, it would be extremely difficult to live with.

You CAN get your weight down. You have the best reason in the world to do it. Instead of setting a time-specific date, perhaps set a scale weight goal? Putting too much pressure on yourself to get the weight of by a date certain might backfire. Rewarding yourself when you hit a certain goal might motivate more. Only you can say for sure.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #3  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Wow, I am so glad your twins are OK! What a miracle they are!

Thank you so much for the kind words and motivation. You are right, it is best to do it now before going any farther. I will be 32 this fall, so I feel like my clock is ticking, but we really only want one child (unless we get multiples, which is fine too!), so I have several more years before I get into the "risky" age group. If I love 2 lbs per week I can be at a healthy weight in a year, so maybe the weight itself is the better goal than the time. Thank you again for the positive thoughts!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote