PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #1  
Queen Cynic

S/C/G: 275/255/135

Height: 5'5"

Default How do you do it???

First of all, I want to preface this post by saying that I don't have health insurance so getting treatment for PCOS is out of the question. How in the world do you lose weight with PCOS? I try to eat fairly healthy... it doesn't always work, but I just keep gaining belly fat. It's affecting my relationship (behind closed doors). I am embarrassed to go out in public. I can't afford to keep buying new clothes because of the weight gain around my waist!

It's driving me mad!
LitaScarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #2  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Low Carb! I have PCOS, and I've been low carbing since January. I'm finding it pretty successful so far - which isn't to say that it would work for everyone, but it's definitely working for me!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Definitely watch the grains- even whole grains. Also, salt. I too have gained so much weight just on my belly. That's NEVER happened before!!!! I've always been an hour glass! I've noticed that even whole grains make me gain weight. I have only 1-2 servings per day. That's like, 1/2 cup of rice and 1 slice of bread MAX.

You must realize we are a different breed. Normal women can lose weight by eating healthy whole grains. I know for me, I just CAN'T! I also make sure my protein in low in sodium, b/c I noticed that can make my belly bloated. And most importanly, lots of veggies.

I "link and balance" my carbs with protein. For every 30 grams of carbs I must have at least 14 grams of protein so it doesn't hit my system. Even a slice of whole grain bread will make me hungry later on.

Read "A Patient's Guide to PCOS"- that's what I did. It opened up my eyes and explained everything to me. I am also on the Insulite PCOS supplements and have been for whole week. So far the suppelements are making me feel really good. I've noticed they are having a balancing effect on my mood and appetite.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

There are some good books out there. There is not a heck of a lot of "treatment" for pcos. Metformin - usually if you're trying to conceive. Birth Control Pills if you're not.

High protein, high veg, low carb & LOTS of exercise has been the answer for me.

Good luck!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #5  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Before I got pregnant, I was losing counting calories and exercising 60-90 minutes a day. I've counted calories before, but the addition of exercise made a big difference. I did DDR for my exercise, so it was mainly cardio.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #6  

Especially since you don't have health insurance, you don't need drugs to kick PCOS. I am not on any prescriptions. The Insulite system is herbs and supplements to help create balance back in your body. So far I feel great on it, but haven't been on it long enough to get my period back or see the facial hair disappear. It's only been over a week.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I don't have insurance either. I am on Metformin and all I can say is thank you to most major pharmacies for putting it on their discount list for $4.00 a month.

Now to work up the willpower to try a lower carb lifestyle.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #8  

Wow, how do you get it for $4 a month? Is that for everyone, even with insurance??
Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #9  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Walmart pharmacies have a HUGE list of generic drugs that they sell a month's supply for only $4... and that's for EVERYONE---

I HAVE insurance and if I am prescribed a drug that costs more for my copay, I go to walmart instead and pay $4 instead of $15.

We got a prescription antibiotic for our dog and got it filled at Walmart--- and obviously, our dog doesn't have insurance and isn't covered on our policies!

If you're not on health insurance, I would DEFINIATELY recommend getting your scripts filled at Walmart. And, if you're not trying to conceive, they have lots of birth control on their list (which I heard helps PCOS)

I heard that some other pharmacies are now matching the price that walmart has, too--- not 100% sure on that though--- worth a google search!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

You don't have to do anything special to get Walmart's price. Just get it filled and it is automatic.

Walgreen's has 3 month supplies for $12.99 for most of the same drugs Walmart has. And I think I just heard Walmart will be offering 90 day supplies for a little less.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #11  

Target has the same deal as Walmart, $4 for metformin for a month's supply. =)
Desperately Dieting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #12  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Google Gary Taubes and check out his books on the effects of diet on insulin, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, etc. He mentions PCOS a few times, but learning about how insulin affects our weight is the main thing regarding weight loss with PCOS. Low Carb is definitely the way to go - South Beach, Sugar Busters, Atkins, Protein Power and many others are low carb - just find the one that appeals to you regarding a long term lifestyle.

Publix has cheap prescriptions - and some are FREE - Not sure where you are, but I just got an antibiotic prescription filled for free at my local Publix.
SolShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #13  

According to my doc & personal trainer (B-I-L) 2 hours/wk of strength training to build lean muscle will help burn calories FAST! So combine that with low carbs and other cardio work and you should see a lot of results. This is my plan I will be implementing in the next week (after July 4th weekend) so I'm hoping to see MAJOR changes! HTH!!
bamomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Walmart and Sam's recently have added it to their 3 months for $10 list as well. Your doctor just has to write a 90 day prescription.

Once upon a time, I had great insurance, and then I had to go on Medicare. Not knowing how to pick a good supplement, I ended up with one that sucked big time. So, I had to ask my doctor to change some of my prescriptions and had to experiment with giving up some of them.

My relafen (an NSAID for arthritis) wasn't the cheapest, but it was still affordable, but I ran out of it once before payday. I ended up learning that I am allergic or sensitive to it and it had been causing or worsening my asthma symptoms. My doctor said the same reaction was likely with any NSAID and possibly even aspirin, so I switched to fish oil capsules twice a day (fish oil has some anti-inflammatory effects. It's not as strong as the relafen, but it's better than nothing). But I was able to get off of three asthma medications.

Walmart/Sam's Club's $4 prescriptions really are a godsend. Some of the drugs are cheaper, because they're older, but newer drugs aren't always safer or more effective. I switched from more expensive drugs to take advantage of the Walmart/Sam's Club special prices (these prices are available to people with or without insurance).

amitryptiline (an antidepressant. My doctor prescribed it to replace lexapro to help me sleep well at night. It works better than the lexapro did).

metformin (for insulin resistance, helps regulate blood sugar)

tramadol (for pain, I have fibromyalgia)

atenelol (a blood pressure medication)

simvastatin (a cholesterol drug, this is actually $6)

Necon 28 (birth control. It is only $13 with the Sam's Club Advantage card. I think it's $19 without).

Now that most of these are $10 for 90 days, I'll save even more money.

It's been a salvation.

If you think you can't afford a doctor's visit, check with the health department, planned parenthood, or clinics. You can also talk to the billing department for any doctor's office and negotiate a "cash price." Some offices won't negotiate, but many will slash 40% or more off of their "regular" fees.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 297/289/180

Height: 5'8"

I hear ya on the belly fat gain! I never used to gain weight in my belly but now, I feel like a man with a beer belly. None of my clothes fit, nothing looks good with my flub over the top of my pants, its always there even when the pants fit me well! I am so over this. I have been on south beach before but gave up due to some personal issues I was having. I am going back to the beach! I was only on it before for 3 weeks and I lost 16 pounds. So south beach and the gym for me...wish me luck!
folwthewhtrbt702 is offline   Reply With Quote