PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #1  
Pudgy Mommy

S/C/G: 234/209/140lbs.

Height: 5ft.2inches

Unhappy New here and desperate to lose...

Hey everybody,

I'm new here... just found you all today while doing a google search. I have been diagnosed with both Diabetes T2 and PCOS this past year. I also had to have a hysterectomy because of chronic menorrhagia. I'm so incredibly frustrated that I'm becoming desperate to lose weight. I watch what and how much I eat and I exercise 30 min. a day. I'm to the point where I think about food/weight constantly. Not an hour goes by that I haven't seriously thought about my weight and food and how to avoid gaining. I am always going to the bathroom to look in the mirror and am disgusted by what I see. I feel like everyone looks down on me because I'm so heavy and I can't seem to get this weight off. No one believes me that I am trying...they all say, "well, your symptoms will get better if you lose weight". Yeah.. easier said than done.
No one else around me is as heavy as I am.. I'm the designated "fat girl". It's become a nightmare.

-Miette
Miette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #2  

Hi and welcome are you on any medication for the diabetes and pcos? I just started on metformin er a month ago and it seems to be helping me be less obsessed with food my blood sugar seems to be alot better. I'm not diabetic though I'm insulin resistant. Have you been seeing a doctor about all this? Sorry I don't have alot of answers.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/182/135

Height: 5'2"

Default thread

Hi I am new here also and was wondering what metforium is? Is it diet drug that requires a prescription? Thanks
patricia10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:08 AM   #4  
Pudgy Mommy

S/C/G: 234/209/140lbs.

Height: 5ft.2inches

Default Metformin

Hi there, thanks for replying to my post.... I'm on a prescription called, Glucophage which I think is the exact same thing as Metformin in the States. It helps me keep my bloodsugars regulated. It's not a diet drug, though, my appetite is the same as it was before the meds. I'm on 500 mg a day and it seems to be doing the trick. I have a doc who is manage my medicine but I've only seen him once in about 5 months, which isn't too good. I have an appointment on May 9th...so I'll have a lot of questions for him then.

-Miette
Miette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #5  
Jess

S/C/G: 202/175/130

Height: 5'5"

Post what has worked for me

Hi
I also am new to this forum and just thought I would share what has worked for me in the past and now that I am doing it again, is currently working for me. I was borderline for diabetes II and was diagnosed with insulin resistance. The Dr wanted to put me on meds but I don't swallow pills so I didn't think that would be a great option for me personally. After doing lots of reading and research I began following the eating plan in a book called "The Insulin Resistance Diet" It has worked really well for me. I lost weight easily without exercising although currently I am exercising. The basic theory of the plan is that you have to eat some sort of protein every 3 hours and you can also eat up to 30g of carbs every 3 hours but if you eat the carbs you have to eat enough protein to match up with half of the carbs you have eaten..ie if you eat a sandwich the 2 slices of bread will usually add up to your max of 30g of carbs and then you have to eat 2 oz of meat on it which typically adds up to 15g of protein. Then you can eat again in another 3 hours. You don't have to eat the carbs but you do have to eat the protein every 3 hours. Vegetables and apples are considered free foods and you can eat as much of them as you want. You can also eat as much protein as you want throughout the day. It is easier to understand if you read the book than to try to write out but it really helped me and might help others. The book is very imformative too. If anyone wants to try it I would be happy to answer any questions. I feel thankful that I stumbled onto it and feel like if I can help anyone else in their journey to losing weight and becoming healthier while also helping myself and becoming more informed than that would be a good good thing!
hey I can do this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #6  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Metformin is the generic name . . . Glucophage is a brand name . . . they are the same drug . . . it is prescription requiring and is usually the first drug prescribed for Diabetes or Insulin Resistance (at least since it was developed - my diabetes predates Metformin, although I do take it now, as well as Glyburide and Actos and injected insulin) because, unlike all of the other oral Diabetic drugs, (and Insulin) Metformin is the only one that does not cause weight gain. In a lot of cases, Metformin will bring about a minor weight loss.

The Insulin Resistance Diet mentioned by JESS was published in 2001 when the research on the Glycemic Index was pretty new. Since then, more research has been done and the Glycemic Index has been refined to produce the Glycemic Load which overcomes the shortfall of the GI (which took only total carb into consideration rather than useable or net carb and average serving sizes). A newer book you might also want to take a look at is The Glycemic Load Diet, published in 2006. Both books are available from Amazon . . . just click on the "Store" tab at the end of the navigation bar at the top of every forum page.

Last edited by meowee; 04-14-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added 'book' information
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #7  

I found the diet advice in this book brilliant:

http://www.amazon.com/PCOS-Protectio.../dp/1401905382

If it helped me - with severe PCOS symptoms - it might help any of us!

I also got a lot of useful info from the Soul Cysters site. It's second to none. I know a lot of the women on the SC site have also done the Insulin Resistance diet with great results.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote