PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #16  
Live, Laugh, Love...

Want2BSkinny: ahh hon, don't be so hard on yourself! we all fall of that same wagon sometmes! You will be back to losing like crazy before you know it!

Have a good evening!
~dixee~
dixee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #17  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Want2B - don't worry too much. Weight fluctuates so much and as long as you are generally stay on track, you are making progress.

I had a bad sugar low episode today. My own fault. I didn't eat a couple hours before working out, then I started to work out. Then I got stubborn in that I didn't want to eat because I felt so dizzy/nauseous. Oh well. At least I exercised and at least I feel as if I am getting on track.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 219/216/130

Height: 5'1

Hi all, I hope all is well with you all today. I'm still doing good, but still need to get motivated in the am to exercise. I also want to start exercising in our pool in the evenings. I printed some good workouts from online yesterday, so hopefully I can start them maybe tonight or tomorrow evening. Just depends on how the weather is.

Have a great day!!
Want2BSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #19  
bananaphone

S/C/G: 150/126/120

Height: 5'2.5

I'm having problemmmmmms.

I'm trying to increase my amount of vegetables. Right now, I eat 2-4 servings of broccoli a day, and sometimes asparagus and onions, and that's it. I'd like to increase my amount of fruit and vegs to about 6-8 a day.
Over the past 8 weeks, I've lost 16lbs by following my own variety of PCOS diet and taking metformin.

My current plan is as follows:
1200-1400 calories a day. 1/3 from protein, 1/3 from fat, 1/3 from carbs. Foods must be under 55 on the Glycemic Index, and 'whole' wherever possible. I track using FitDay.

The problem I'm having is in finding fruits and veggies that I can eat that don't contain so many carbs that I'm left scrambling to compensate with protein and fat!

I'm vegetarian, and Quorn (Mycoprotein) is helpful in making up the protein gap, and I do supplement sometimes with whey protein powder. But sometimes I'm too scared to reach for an apple for a morning snack because it'll leave me eating nothing but protein and fat for the rest of the day to make up for the carbs!

Anyway, after that long post...
Any suggestions on fruits/veggies that aren't carb-fests, ladies?
subbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #20  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForHope16 View Post
Everyone is always welcomed in this PCOS group! I would love to share something with you girls.

I have been on spiro and went to the dr today and from one month of being on that and trying to eat right by bp went from being 179/100 to 119/79!!!!!

AWESOME JOB!

That is so great that you are getting such good results! Keep up the work!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #21  

Jennifer: I hope that your feet are feeling better by the day. Are the stretches really helping?

Nelie: Hopefully you have been able to get back on track. Low blood sugar episodes can be scary. I try to keep a 110 cal pria bar around when I think I might be going low.

DixeeL Welcome, I don't think I have said that yet.

Subbes: How about Berries, Citrus, Bell Peppers, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Celery, Cucumbers? Will any of these options help you out?

Anyone else: Welcome if you are new. Hope everyone is having a fantaboulous weekend!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have been slacking on exercise. I want to hit my goal and had figured out the numbers to do so but then pulled a muscle or something in my back thigh/knee. Now my knee feels stiff all the time and I am having pain when I walk too much. I think I am just going to buck it up and go back to the gym as I said I would a few days ago. Eating has not been too horrid this week. I am going to start counting carbs again on Monday. I know that this has worked before but I am just generally lazy about it. Oh well...If I want to see any results, I can't be lazy.

Have a terrific Week!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #22  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi all! I went hiking this weekend and I'm feeling a lot better for the past few days. I hope everyone is having a good weekend.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #23  
WW Moderator

My stretching is helping my feet when I have time to stretch, ice, stretch some more. I'm worked to death right now, and before I know it, I've been at work all day without stretching. But they don't throb anymore, so that's a plus!

On the down side, I am now on blood pressure medicine. WAY too much stress going on in my life right now. But I am determined this will not be a long term thing. My BP was hovering 136/92 up to 156/110. Sheesh. Now I'm a mild 130/75, but I feel funny on the meds. I feel tired, like my body is getting heavy, and kinda weird. Then it goes away. Not sure what that is all about, but it's only at night. Anybody else do this?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #24  
Live, Laugh, Love...

Hi ya'll! It sounds like everyone is doing great! Keep up the good work!!! Not much is new with me. Went for a long walk with SO yesterday and that was nice other than the horrific winds and rain! LOL But like many of you have said, I just don't have much motivation lately either...ugh! Sorry for being not so active as of late, I am in the midst of mid term exams with college...but will be back before ya know it!
Good luck girls! Keep up the great work!!

~dixee~
dixee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #25  
bananaphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes213 View Post
Subbes: How about Berries, Citrus, Bell Peppers, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Celery, Cucumbers? Will any of these options help you out?
I had forgotten berries existed! Also cucumbers, which are very easy to eat since I'm English. Peppers I'm mildly allergic to (they have a similar effect to metformin on the old digestive system, so combining met and peppers might not be fun), but I'm going to have a good try of the berries and cucumbers and some citrus.

I also have some spinach hanging out in the freezer that I really should stop being so scared of. But it's green and, well, it's spinach.

Thanks for your help -- I was drawing a complete blank there!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Merry March Monday Ladies!!

Spring is in the air and the sun is out...
Hope you all have positive energy like I do today. (Don't worry, this attitude is NOT permanent, I just enjoy it while I have it.)
It's great to hear you're out and moving Nelie - maybe the exercise will help get rid of the headache cycle. (I've suffered from migraines, so I empathize with your headache.)
Subbes I admit I probably live in a hole in the ground while exposing my ignorance to all here when I write that I've never heard of a "vegetarian, and Quorn (Mycoprotein)" is that a common combination?
Have you considered squash (tons of variety)? Beets? Zuccinni? I use a small amount of carrots and peas (frozen organic 'mixed veggies') to add variety and color (because I get bored with taste very quickly). I also prefer romain and butter lettuce leaves fresh dipped in my homemade vinigrette (which takes like 30 seconds to make). What about bell peppers, cucumbers, spininich, mustard greens?
I use olives for snacks. It may not fit in your diet, but olives are low carb, and "good fat" snacks. Yes, they have calories, but I would have to eat a whole can of black olives to get 250 calories (similar to a candy bar) and I'd still have significantly fewer carbs and only good fats...just an idea.
Have a fantastic day.
ShyCammie
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #27  
bananaphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCammie View Post
"vegetarian, and Quorn (Mycoprotein)" is that a common combination?
Quorn is pretty unknown in the US so I should probably explain it anyway. It's a meatless protein source -- similar to gardenburgers or soy burgers or textured vegetable protein or any of those sorts of foods. I started eating it when I was a teenager in Britain, because I was sick of tofu.

I like Quorn because it's high in protein and has very low carbs (and a low GI), and also it behaves more like meat than soy or textured vegetable protein does. It's very simple to cook, and it tastes okay even without any seasonings.

I buy mine frozen from my local natural food store. The Quorn website is at quorn.com.

Oh, and it's not recommended for anyone that has allergies to mold or fungus because the protein is fungal in origin.

Quote:
Zuccinni?
I'm trying to like zucchini but it feels like I'm eating rubber, no matter how I cook it.

My scale tells me I'm down another pound, but I'm not moving the ticker until a second weigh-in corroborates it. It could just be that I sweated out a pound bnecause I had spicy food last night.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #28  

Stubbes: I usually just add zucchini to stirfrys as extra filler. I cut the pieces small enough that pretty much they melt mostly away it seems and then I don't notice the texture. Also...I don't use the middle section where the seeds sometimes are...I cut around it. Strange I know but if I leave some of the skin on I have to be getting some kind of benefit from it right
I have been meaning to try quorn...do you have any favorite recipes?

Jennifer: Sorry to hear you are now on medication. Hopefully it will help you out enough to get you out of the "danger" zone right now and soon you can get off it because of your weight loss.

Everyone else: Hope you are getting some good results.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Things have been chaotic around here. I need to get refocused---quickly. I have a physical a week from Monday and something tells me I will get yelled at
Old 03-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 268/268/195

Height: 5 7

Default I'm with ya

Let's get down the pounds!!!!!!
plamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 268/268/195

Height: 5 7

Default Happy

I'm so glad I found this thread. it's so hard to get people to understand the struggle with losing weight with PCOS, and we're trying to conceive as well.
plamina is offline   Reply With Quote