Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #16  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Great story Tani!

I am a strong believer in the goddess within. I have recently bought a lovely bracelet made of hematite and amethyst stones and it has a lovely carved goddess charm hanging from it. I'm not sure what goddess she is or what she represents - she is small chested, small waisted, with a wider lower body and has her arms raised up in a circle above her head. Anybody know which goddess she might be? I saw this bracelet and it spoke to me - I had to have it. Everytime I look at it I smile. Strange how small things can affect you like that.

I also have 2 new books to read..."The Cosmic Ordering Sevice" by Barbel Mohr and "In The House of Memory - Ancient Celtic Wisdom for Everday Life" by Steve Rabey. I'm looking forward to reading them both.

Anybody have any books they would recommend on the subject of paganism, Wicca or spirituality in general?
Old 05-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #17  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Mauvaisroux, that stance with the arms raised in a cirlce is often associated with moon goddesses

For an overview of modern paganism, you can't do much better than Margot Adler's "Drawing down the Moon" For Wicca I recommend the books of Stewart and Janet Farrar and Doreen Valiente. Steer clear of anything published by Llewellyn
Old 05-07-2005, 08:23 PM   #18  
On the Leash of My Senses

Wow Tani, that's a great story. We all need moments of realization to make any kind of change, but being able to ritualize it is often harder in our society. You've made me think I need to come up for a ritual of my own to symbolize the new journey I'm beginning.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #19  
Empress/Queen

Talking

Hello, all! I'm sort of a lurker in the shadows when it comes to expressing my true spiritual path ... whatever that means! I don't actually relate to organized religions in any form, pagan or otherwise, but to paraphrase someone's post above, I give a nod to the goddess within (or without) when I get a glimpse of her!

If I DID relate to organized religions, I would not find solace in any that spring from a male-based deity and every now and again, it's nice to find someone to say that to! So hello!
Old 05-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #20  

Thanks Tani for the book advice. Hey is that Llewellyn person the one that writes those velvet covered books that look kind of cheesy? I have seen those at Chapters

Well I'm definitely a moon child so no wonder that charm appealed to me

Amarantha, yep I find different religions interesting but can't get into being in an organization as such. I think that is one of the great things in Wicca, you can be a solitary practitioner is you want to.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:36 PM   #21  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello all!

Checking back in after a loooooong absence. Raising my hand, another pagan to be counted. Refreshing to find so many... like the one, and only, bumper sticker on my car says "We are Everywhere". Ain't that the truth.

So, west coasters, anyone going to SunFest in Washington over the Solstice weekend????

Terri

Last edited by Punkinseed; 05-24-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:01 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 267.4/179.6/150

Height: 5'7"

I actually consider myself an athiest, in that I don't believe there is an all powerful being or beings, but I do believe in many of the Wiccan ideals. I've done a fair bit of reading on it, and it jived with me more than anything else I've ever looked into. I believe in and appreciate science and nature.

It is very nice to have a group here who doesn't ascribe to organized religions. Personally, I believe that organized religions lead to closed minds.

My parents, husband and sister all know I'm an athiest. They are all nonpracticing in their own religions (Mormon, Catholic and Methodist, all in one family), but only my dad had a problem with it. He couldn't believe it and actually tried to change my mind.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:58 AM   #23  

Punkinseed - good to see you back girl! Hope you are doing well and that we'll see you around a little more often

Lacerta - yes, there are a lot of different people in this forum from different backgrounds and different faiths or beliefs - I find it great that all of us not only get along but also enjoy each others company, now if only the real world worked the same way on a larger scale...

My family has dabbled in everything from Zen to Scientology with a bit of Christianity in between so I think I have been exposed to so many faiths and ideas that I can't believe in just one thing and have melded bits of everything together. I always say that we belonged to the religion of the month club
Old 05-25-2005, 12:24 PM   #24  
Pending Email Confirmation

mauv- i love the religion of the month club. that's great. i just love reading what other people believe and learning about new cultures and things. i like to find things that really speak to me and keep them - a collector of ideas without actually settling on anything. i know many who would disagree with this way of doing things... but it's my opinion that religion is a personal choice with the end result being the same no matter which one you chose. fulfillment.

the thing i like especially about being able to discuss things like this on this board is that there are no personal attacks or disagreements that get out of control. Too many boards I've been on have huge dramas over such a simple conversation topic. We either have really great people or really great mods. Either way it definately keeps me coming back.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #25  

I think we have both really great members and great mods on this site

Yeah, nothing like mixing in rune stones with your I Ching pieces and my mum setting the table with an extra place setting at Christmas and Easter for "The Unseen Guest"... Not to mention visiting the synagogue, going to Anglican church with my East Indian friends and occasionally to Mass with my Roman Catholic friends...no wonder I was such a freaky kid!

Well at least it has kept me grounded and open-minded
Old 05-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #26  
Almost There..

I'm an agnostic, but I've read up on Wicca and I agree with quite a bit of it. My dad, who's a strict Catholic, hates it. But he says it's a "teenage phase," and I'll "get over it," so for the most part he's leaving me alone.

I'd read up on it more, but I can't find much information over the internet, and if I got a book my parents would have a fit.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #27  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Hey Terri! I missed your post at first.

Yes, I will be at Sunfest! I'm excited to check out the new location.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #28  

Hi, y'all! I'm also a pagan chick, been a solitary practicioner for about 5 years, thereabouts. It's amazing to see who else in the Salt Lake City area are also Pagan. There's a pagan pride group here, I'm belly dancing and teaching a class this year. Danced last year, it was such incredible energy.

I've been doing th 6 week body makeover, just finished my first 6 weeks, and have released 14 pounds. I'm just jazzed!

Nice to meet you all!

Lynda
Old 08-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #29  
Pending Email Confirmation

I've been very far away from anything spiritual for about 6 years or so now. I had a wonderful day alone today for reflection and I smudged our new home and felt so peaceful that I fell asleep unplanned. It was a wonderful feeling and I am definately inspired to feel this sense of at ease that comes from believing in something more often. I'm still averse to being wiccan or even classifying myself as pagan - given the town i live in *LOL* but I do know there is something inside me and its awakened once more and it is a great feeling. yay me. *L*

sapphire- i had a friend who moved to salt lake area and was pleasantly surprised by the large pagan community there. i never would have thought it.

the pacific northwest really seems to be a huge hub as well -though I've never gotten involved with any of them since I moved to oregon. Lots of great people and things to do in western washington - mostly hippy burn out types so far that I've met in eugene. oh well, i prefer to keep myself to myself anyway.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 PM   #30  

Sapphire - I belly dance too! I find it very energizing and empowering.
Closed Thread