Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #1  

Default Picky Eater

Hello

I am a mother of six who desperately needs to lose 75lbs asap. My health is beginning to be comprised. I have tried Jenny Craig but didn't really care for most of the selections.

I have been looking at some of the other options such as Nutrisystem (which most say is not so tasty), Bistro MD (which looks tasty but seems expensive). Ediets (most seem to say customer service is bad) and Pure Foods.

Does anyone have advice for a picky eater with a limited budget? Limited simply meaning I cannot afford to spend $200 a week on my food because there are 7 others in the house that have to eat too.
sixtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

If you are on a limited budget, I'd abandon the meal delivery system idea. They are all pricey, and if you don't eat 1/2 of it because of your pickyness then it really is a huge waste of money.

How are you picky? Like you only eat french fries and ice cream? Or you don't like many vegetables. Why do you claim to be picky?

I always eat what I feed my family, with a few tiny exceptions, (I will occasionally fry them a chicken, but bake my piece in the toaster oven with mushrooms and peppers and onions...things like that) You can lose a lot of weight on simple foods. I have a sandwich almost every single day. At least 2 fruits, a yogurt or 2...and an egg or 2. Very simple and inexpensive foods make up a large portion of my daily diet. The other week Dannon yogurt was on sale for 18 cents a carton. I bought 15 yogurts for less than 3 dollars. I froze a few, and I made that my staple for the following 2 weeks instead of low-fat milk or other dairy. We had large oranges on sale for 20 cents a piece. I again bought a lot of them and ate them for my fruit for the next week. The next week apples were on sale, I ate them. This spring melons will be cheap...I'll buy them. Cauliflower has been on sale for 1.50 a head...guess what I have been eating a lot of? If you are really serious, you'll find a way.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-18-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'6"

I am a very picky eater as in I don't like a lot foods. I eat the same as I feed my family, but I don't eat the meat ( the only meat I eat is once in a rare blue moon a kids size burger from McDonald's). If I feed my kids (and I have 4) pizza, I'll eat two slices instead of four. If I feed them veggies and mashed potatoes and some type of meat. I'll leave out the meat, have about a palm size of mashed potatoes and load my plate up with the veggies. If I feed them pasta, it's whole wheat (which I prefer anyhow, I was raised on ww everything), I'll have a small portion, feed them a small portion and maybe make a veggie soup or garden salad as the side. Or make garlic bread out of whole grain bread. If I feed them fast food, I'll order myself off the kids menu as well to keep my portion control in check. I really eat what I want, it's the amount I limit. I couldn't afford to go on any diet like the ones mentioned above, and I'd be terrible at sticking to them, so I modify in other ways. I have lost 62 pounds so far in total this way

Last edited by Crystalx5; 02-18-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Crystalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote