Old 09-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Help, I'm addicted to food.

Hi, I'm new to this board but not 3 Fat Chicks. I've tried several diets and failed. I have lost that same 10 pounds over and over, I know I have. Then gain it back plus more, then loose it and gain back more again. I know I'm addicted to food. I like food too much. When I eat, I eat way too much and too often. I feel hungry all the time. I also eat more food secretly when no one is aware of it. Then people say things like, you don't eat that much. My husband thinks I don't eat much but I do. I can't eat one cookie, one peice of cake or one anything, it has to be 3 or 4 or the whole container. I eat when I'm sad, glad, bored or any reason. Food seems to soothe me. Makes me content. I have tried almost every diet known. I do good for maybe one day then I binge on everything. There are no meetings close to where I live. May I join this board? Are there other sources that I can get information about this problem I have? Is there a book I can get at the library to help me? I know I belong in overeaters anonymous, cause I'm food addicted. I enjoy eating food. Is there help for me? Any information would be appreciated. It took me a long time to admit this problem. I need all the help and support available. Thank you. Teresa
teajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/211/135

Height: 5'1"

Unhappy Me too

I am def. addicted to food too. You name the emotion, occasion, time, place, etc., I'll eat. I work in a doctor's office & there is always food around. I am 54 yrs. old, weigh 211. Every time I eat something I know I shouldn't, I hate myself & then eat something again. I have fibromyalgia & am in pain almost all the time - another reason to eat something good to make me feel better but of course I just feel worse. I buy books on losing weight, exercise, etc., but nothing seems to motivate me. Anyone have any ideas?
hagarshelga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #3  
something witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by teajay View Post
Are there other sources that I can get information about this problem I have? Is there a book I can get at the library to help me? I know I belong in overeaters anonymous, cause I'm food addicted. I enjoy eating food. Is there help for me?
Hi Teresa hang in there!

There are probably some books on food addiction at your library. And there's OA's website: www.oa.org

But I would also urge you to check out Geneen Roth's book. It's a non-diet approach to letting go of bingeing and compulsive overeating. Your post reminded me of how I used to feel 5-7 years ago. I would go on diets and stick to them for a month, a week, or a day, and then binge and binge and binge. I couldn't eat a cookie without eating 5 or 10. I didn't even understand what would be the POINT of eating just one cookie. Anything sweet or delicious would set me off. I remember telling my sister that I just loved eating, that it was the best part of my day- but the aftermath was terrible. I was puffy, had no energy, I was terribly depressed.

Now I can eat just one cookie- they can be in my apartment and I forget about them. I haven't had a binge in years- best of all I don't want to! Those books helped me a tremendous amount. You can also check out the "Intuitive eating" thread in the General Diet Plans section of this forum.

Do some research and find the best plan for you. Good luck!
linki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Hello
Im also new to 3fc and have the same problem
My dr has referred me to a support group for people with eating disorders, but there's a waiting list of a couple of months.
I have been quite good for a week, because my wedding dress arrived the other day, and it wont fit
So I have to get into it by November. At least now I have a target to aim for, but what worries me is that once the wedding is over, I will lose my motivation and get back into my old ways.
My fiance hasnt got a problem with me being fat, and often tempts me by bringing me sweets and chocolates.
I have been a yo-yo dieter all my life, as far as I can remember. I have managed to slim down quite a few times, but then I just let myself go. It is so frustrating
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/214/150

Red face Addictd to Food

Hi everyone,

I too, am adicted to food. I have chronic back pain and I'm only 37 years old. I've turned to food during every emotion as well. I sneak, binge and enjoy every minute of it until it's over. I can't think of anything that I don't like to eat. Food is so comforting when nothing else works.
Jane152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane152 View Post
Hi everyone,

I too, am adicted to food. I have chronic back pain and I'm only 37 years old. I've turned to food during every emotion as well. I sneak, binge and enjoy every minute of it until it's over. I can't think of anything that I don't like to eat. Food is so comforting when nothing else works.
I have chronic back pain too, and Im on constant painkillers and anti inflammatory. My dr says its because of my weight, which doesnt help
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #7  

I don't know if I'm addicted to food, but all of your posts sound like me. I can't eat just one serving of crackers, chips, whatever -- unless that's all I have available at the time. If it's in the house, I obssess about it and it drives me crazy. Before I started weight loss, a huge bag of chips would last 1-2 days -- and it's just me! My program helps with accountability, but I still can't have certain things within easy reach.
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome!
You've come to the right place. Yes, indeed there are some books that can help. The two that I suggest are:
1)The 12 Steps and 12 Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous
2)Overeaters Anonymous Second Edition

You can check the library, order them from OA, or get them used or new from Amazon.

Just reading them will bring you some hope and understanding of your compulsive overeating. The disease is an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind. Our bodies have an allergic reaction to food--we can't stop eating. And our minds are obsessed so that they keep telling us we can eat just a little. It's a disasterous combination.

Our disease of compulsive overeating is a physical, emotional, and spiritual sickness. The 12 steps of Overeaters Anonymous can help you get to the root of why you compulsively overeat. It also spells out how to be free from the obsession of food.

I wish you well.
Marny
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #9  

Hi.
Thank you so much for the information and support. I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. I will look into getting the 3 books mentioned here and check the www.oa.org web site as well. Now that I know I'm not alone in this, that there is help and light at the end of the tunnel, I can deal better with it. I thought I was loosing my mind, to be that tied up in food. Food was always on my mind, I'd just eat and think about what I could eat next. Thanks so much, you have been so much of a blessing to me. Like a life preserver. I don't belong to any certain group here at 3 fat chicks, how do I join this forum? How do I get a weight tracker? Thank you all for all your help. For the other people that posted here with food problems as well, you are in my thoughs and best wishes. I wish you well. Everyone have a great day. Thanks for the great support.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #10  

Hi, Me again. I meant to type how do I get a new weight tracker in place of the one that I have? Would like to change it. Thought if I put up something cheery, that it might help. Trying to be more positive. Thanks, Teresa
Old 09-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #11  
Ivy135

S/C/G: 219/171/135

Height: 5"4

Hey go to user pc then click signature follow prompts thats what I did...

PS good luck on your journey to lose weight.

I haven't heard of anyone that has to eat constantly I cant help sorry.
maybe if you see a doctor may refer you to a weight loss management program as the one I'm currently in and guess what I feel grate no hunger just have to drink plenty of water all day.

-Ivy

my ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

teajay-
I finally realized that I had a problem when I sat in bed finishing my third ice cream sandwich and wondered how many more were in the box. Honestly, no amount of them could satisfy my desire. I could have eaten 100 and still not been satisfied.
My life before OA was about food. I thought about it all the time. I went to parties to eat, I went on vacations to eat. My favorite part of going away for a weekend was stopping at McDonalds on the way out in the morning to have breakfast. I looked forward to that more than the trip.
Holidays, celebrations, good times, bad times, sad times, happy times, depressed times, tired times...you name it and it was a reason to eat.
I ate because I was bored. I ate because I was socializing. Whatever I was doing it was about the eating. I went to the movies to eat. I went to the fair to eat. I was consumed with the thought and act of eating.

I thank God every day for this program. It gave me my life back. I am free from the obsession of food for the first time in my life. I am 45 lbs lighter. I enjoy living and being and people without eating being a part of it.

Marny
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #13  

Thanks my ivy, for info to change weight tracker. Oh my gosh, Marny what you wrote describes me to the tee. This is uncanny, it's like you walked a mile in my shoes. I didn't know how to explain it to others and was afraid they wouldn't understand. Thanks for understanding. Thanks for all of your help. Congrads on your weight loss and freedom from food. You have encouraged me so much. I'm looking for the books and going to read in more detail at the web site you gave me right now. Thanks so much. Have a blessed day. Teresa