Old 07-31-2006, 04:08 PM   #1  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Default Is OA for me?

Boy, this could get long. I will try to keep it short.
I am about 60-70 lbs overweight. I have been overweight since puberty - about 30 years. I work a desk job, like to hike but don't really enjoy any other sports or exercise. I have a 2.5 yr old son.
I quit smoking in January for the 25th time in 5 years, this is the longest I have stayed quit since I started at 17.
I was in a 12-step program for several years that really helped me stop some addict behavior. I hesitate to name it because I am never sure how anonymity online works. Isn't this anonymous because you don't know who I am? I also hesitate to name it because I am not abstinent of this substance, I just don't abuse it anymore. Very rarely use it at all.
Anyway, I have tried a zillion diets over the years. I can't even stick to a food plan for more than 5 days in a row, and usually not that long. Only once did I get anywhere near goal, and I was living in Hawaii, active in that other 12-step program and living a totally different lifestyle. Wow, I just made the connection of working the steps and being near goal weight and that was 12 years ago.
I have looked at some OA literature. The whole greysheet thing scared me off, but I gather that's not how it's done most places.
Anyway, I guess I'm looking for some OA friends and some courage to get to a face-to-face meeting. It will not be easy since I work full-time and have a toddler at home, but nothing worth having is easy. I owe it to myself to check this out - don't you think?
Kim
sw 235/ cw 221.5 / gw 160ish
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Kim, welcome!

I'm sorry... it's not very busy in here at present. There are a few people who drop in on a semi-regular basis, and Marny is often here.

I would definitely try OA. I'm not doing it right now, but I have been to a few meetings in the past, and I was quite inspired by some of the other members. It was the first time I'd really acknowledged that I have an eating problem.
I think you can "give and take" with some of the rules. Not everyone likes the "higher power" thing, but it be anything/one you choose. Whatever works for YOU.

You are pretty anonymous here. Congratulations on quitting smoking! I really admire your perseverance. I hope this is "it" for you, but I think it's wonderful that you don't give up. You're a woman of strength!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey Kim!
Glad you're here.

I've been in OA since January. I've been abstinent for 5 months and shed 40 lbs. This is my first experience with a 12 step program, and I love it. It's given me my life back. I look forward to my meeting all week. I dearly love my sponsor. Through the steps I've been able to learn why I eat, and how to deal with the deeper issues. I am happier, saner, and healthier. It's not an easy program, but if you use all the tools, you will be successful and supported.

Marny
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:37 PM   #4  

Default Oa/aa

Hi Kim,

I have been attending 12 step meeting and working the steps of AA the the past two years with great success. I'm here on the forum because I seem to be replacing the booze with food these days. I have been reading the OA literature along with my AA literature and they are very similiar. I am going to start trying to remember that I am not only powerless over alcohol, but also over food in my morning and bedtime prayers. I'm a big believer in these programs so I say go for it! The spiritual benefits are tremendous if nothing else!

Good luck!

Chris
ChrisHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Chris, welcome to you, too!
Congratulations on your success with AA... that's wonderful. I wish you continued success with the OA, and I hope you'll hang out with us here.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote