Old 06-10-2006, 03:19 AM   #1  
Trucker Gal!

S/C/G: 302/292.8/185

Height: 5'11

Default OA Without Meetings?

Hi everyone, happy to have found you....
I realized in the past couple years I am a compulsive eater. I have almost all the classic symptoms. One thing I notice is food seems to be fun for me? Like I get excited about picking out goodies.

I lost 50 pounds a few years ago low carbing....its all back. I am a trucker so my lifestyle is terrible for trying to get healthy. I'm not comfortable riding my horses so that makes for even less exercise.

I have some questions regarding OA. (I did attempt to learn about it once online through the websites, but its hard for me now, being on the road, and what not).

How the heck do I learn about this and use it to help me? We have one meeting per week here, Monday evenings, and I don't pull into town till after its over.
In the past 6 months I have been becoming more spiritual, after growing up with a mother who taught nothing about it. I believe in a HP, but maybe not as traditionally as most. Can this work for me?
What literature would you recommend getting? I plan to call the lady here, even though I can't attend the meetings, maybe there will be some support there regardless.
I just need some direction, at this point I feel like I am an ill person. I can sit here and research compulsive overeating and OA and while doing it, be thinking of what I could eat while sitting here.

To top it off.... for the past while, all my weight loss efforts have gone unrewarded. I eat healthy, and exercise, for a couple weeks at a time and cannot lose an OUNCE. Then I give up. Well.... found out a few days ago I have an extremely underactive thyroid. They have started meds but it could take a long time to get the right dosage, I am on the lowest now.
It was somewhat of a relief to find that out, and answers other questions too.

Anyway, rambling here...thanks in advance for reading....

LN
LadyNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #2  

Hi LN and WELCOME! We know just how you feel here! A lot of what you said, especially the part about researching compulsive overeating on the internet while still searching for something to eat -- I could have written that myself a couple of months ago!

I am still relatively new to OA. This is my second month. I have ALREADY found it to be a true lifesaver. It is such a wonderful thing and I cannot even begin to tell you how grateful I am to OA.

I think that calling the lady about your local OA group is an excellent idea! I started off trying to do everything online because there were no local meetings... which can work, but now local meetings have started here (what timing!) and let me tell you, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the local face to face meetings. I understand that you will be missing actual meeting time, but still to have the contact with another real live human being who knows your suffering and has been through it herself... there is just nothing like that Call the lady and I think you will be glad that you did!

With all that said, if you can't make contact or if you need a little 'more', I found www.therecoverygroup.org to be a great resource for doing OA online. There is a button on that front page that says "OA Newcomers" http://www.therecoverygroup.org/newcomers/index.html. That will give you a lot of information. There is A LOT there and it can be overwhelming at first, but *in my opinion* the easiest way to do it is to join the email loop "OANewcomers" (it provides a sort of orientation to OA and that website), read the newcomers FAQ, and try to attend some online meetings.

On the OA website there is a page http://www.oa.org/all_about_meetings.htm that lists all different types of meetings you can attend... everything from face to face, to online, to telephone, to mail! Check it out

I am going to go ahead and post this because it is getting long... but I will be back in a few minutes with some more info! Sorry - I can get long winded!

Last edited by WaterWater; 06-10-2006 at 09:00 AM.
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #3  

As for literature -- the OA literature is so, so wonderful! I know that I could not do the program without it! It is such an inspiration and I wish that I had it all!

*For me* (and it is probably different for everyone), this is what I have found most beneficial as a newcomer who was trying to do it on my own at first. These items are listed on the OA website.

#710K
Newcomer Packet--single packet

Greet the newcomers in your meetings with a packet containing various materials to help them get started. Packet includes Dignity of Choice; A Plan of Eating; Questions and Answers; The Tools of Recovery; Fifteen Questions; To the Newcomer; Many Symptoms, One Solution; offer for two free issues of Lifeline magazine; and important information about OA's structure and the World Service Office.
http://www.oa.org/literature_catalog...49943606141501

The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous--single copy

This comprehensive work provides a detailed, moving exploration of how OA's Twelve Traditions help members recover and how the Fellowship functions as a whole. Questions after each Tradition are designed to help strengthen your meeting. Softcover; 240 pages.

The Twelve-Step Workbook of Overeaters Anonymous--single copy

Deepen and strengthen your program by answering thought-provoking questions drawn from and page-referenced to The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous. Softcover; 128 pages.

That local OA lady may even have those available for you to purchase from her, so you may want to ask. If not, you can get them from the OA site and the shipping is always reasonable. I have been charged up to $10 for shipping - but they REFUNDED the amount over actual shipping, if you can believe that! This is a top notch organization.

Anway, those three items have been SO BENEFICIAL to me! The newcomer's packet explains so much about OA and what everything means and then the two books teach you how to work the steps. I could not be doing this program without them.

The AA Big Book is also wonderful reading. You learn so much about addiction -- you don't have to be an alcoholic to reap great benefits from reading the Big Book! You can get a hard copy, or you can read it online for free! http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/

That is how I got started Hope I didn't bore you to tears there! Good luck to you and please let us know how it goes!!

Last edited by WaterWater; 06-10-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #4  

One more thing and then I will shut up

This forum here at 3FC has been so great to have! We have been able to ask any question we wanted to, vent, celebrate... anything! I am so glad that there is an OA area here!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #5  
Trucker Gal!

Water you rock...thank you.
I will do some more reading tonight (after a funeral I must go to )

However I did look on my librarys website last night and they have the twelve steps and twelve traditions so I will be picking that up this morning.

From what research I have done, I will be free to use any eating plan? I have also been recommended a fabulous book on hypothyroidism which includes a specific eating plan, I am thinking it will be a good idea to use that one.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #6  
Trucker Gal!

Well I got the thyroid book and it looks fantastic. Couldn't find the OA book, it wasn't on the shelf where it was supposed to be, and I didn't want to ask for it. I will get it from the lady who runs the group in town hopefully.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Wow! I don't look at my computer for a day, and you guys go crazy in here!

Water did a super fantastic job with listing the resources and answering questions. I agree...she rocks!

Lady North--we're really glad that you are here. We know exactly how you feel, and we can hopefully answer any questions that you might have.

OA has given me back my life. It's an amazing program. You asked about the spiritual aspect...in the OA program, you determine who or what your higher power is. There are no rules about it. And yes, you determine your own food plan. It's helpful to discuss your food plan with a sponsor and get input from her.

Did we miss anything?
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:02 AM   #8  
Trucker Gal!

I don't think so Marny thank you very much.

I did get up the guts to call the OA lady and will be meeting her tomorrow afternoon to get some books and literature.

I guess my issue with the HP is I'm just not sure about all that yet, I am in the early stages of learning. Who am I asking for help and how do I ask. Its all very confusing, my life is really changing right now. lol
Old 06-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

LadyNorth, I have nothing of value to add to Water's posts, but I wanted to welcome you to 3FC!
It's nice to see a new face in OA. I wish you the very best.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

The OA 12 steps and 12 traditions book gives great direction about seeking out your higher power. Once you have that trusty book in your hand, many of your questions will be answered.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #11  

Voices of Recovery is very nice too. It has thoughts of OA members for each day of the year. I like to read it in the morning before I get out of bed, just to connect with the fellowship before starting my day.
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote