Old 05-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #1  

Unhappy Feeling really bad (food mentioned)

My first decision was to give up sugar - not sugars like in fruit, but sugar as in sweets, sodas, etc. I was drinking a LOT of coke and eating chocolate and other sweets every day (often instead of meals). It is hard to admit that, but it is true. Here I am on day #4 and I am feeling horrible. I am so tired and my head is pounding and I want so badly to go to the little convenience store up the road and get me a Coke and a candy bar to ease this pain. WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO HARD.

I am an addict pure and simple and apparently this is withdrawal. How long before these headaches and the lack of energy subside?
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Water, I'm sorry you're having a rough time.
I remember those headaches all too well. I did the South Beach diet for awhile, and the first four days or so of withdrawal from sugar brings on the most terrific headache for many people. Nothing will take it away.
I would say you're just about there. I'll bet tomorrow the headache will be gone. And the cravings should go sometime this week.
As for the lack of energy... just be good to yourself for a few days. Lots of nurturing yourself. That energy will come back.
Hang in there, hon, you're doing great.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #3  

Thank you so much for the support. I am trying hard to hang on... it just is not always easy. I KNOW this will pay off in the end, if I can just make it through.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Water--
I can so relate to the headaches and lack of energy. I experienced it when I started the Zone. It is pure misery. But, it will pass. You are right. It is withdrawl. I compensated by getting more sleep. Is it possible for you to get a nap during the day? Not only does it let your body rest, but it's time that you don't have to spend hurting, thinking about food, or eating.

When those urges for sugar are really strong, keep using those tools! Go to an online meeting, post here, read OA literature, pray, get outside for a walk, call a friend... do something besides sitting and thinking about it and hurting.

It is so hard. I wish it wasn't. It does get easier--I promise.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #5  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

My first week was terrible, but I would go online and find success stories and read those instead of eating. I went 2 weeks with no Coke and chocolate. and now I can limit my intake of it, way better than before. I let my self have diet coke every couple day's as a treat, I am still not sure that I like it. and I took a kiss out of the candy jar at work and it wasn't even worth grabbing another,I personally think that I don't like chocolate that much anymore.

I think if you stay strong, you will be amazed at how easy it is after just a couple more days.

I wish you the best of luck!
40poundsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

you are right about that ... my 1st week was horrible .... I craved things I never even ate before .... but I got through it and npw 36 pounds later I am still going strong! keep up the good work.
higherfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #7  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

(((HUGS)))

Just hang in there! It's withdrawl, like everyone has said. When I first gave up soda (about six months ago) I had horrid headaches from the caffiene and sugar withdrawl. (Sweets are not my problem, my problem is salty things...potato chips and the like)

As it was said (I think by Ellis) day 5 is when it usually starts to get better! Just keep yourself busy! Maybe take up sewing or crochetting! (That keeps my hands busy so I can't snack... well, unless I just dig in with my face :P )
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #8  
Hoping for Healthy

Remember that you never want to go back to the sweets. Remember why you stopped. Remember that this is going to be so good for your body when you're in control. Keep it up, Water!
teatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #9  

I made it through the day! It actually is getting easier now... day 6. I am feeling much stronger and it is becoming easier to pass up the sugar. I thank you ladies so much for the support. Coming here and reading the responses and other posts are helping me tremendously.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #10  

I'm so thankful that you are feeling better. It's a double whammy to deal with giving the stuff up and having it hurt at the same time!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

Water, that's wonderful!! I'm so happy for you... it feels good to be (somewhat) in control, doesn't it?
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #12  

You know, it really does feel good to have that bit of control. Every diet that I have ever been on, I have always allowed for some soda or a bit of chocolate so that I did not feel 'deprived'. It would only make me want more and more until I was eating terribly unhealthy meals that were still within my points (or whatever) and continuing on that path until I finally had a binge to fill myself up. We hear so much about not depriving ourselves and being able to lose weight while still eating the things we love... that is just not true for me. I can see it clear as day now. Sugar/Sweets is (mostly) what has made me fat and it is my ENEMY. It is my drug of choice and if I do not stay away from it, I will not succeed. I do not have a 'sweet tooth', I have a problem. Finding your trigger is SO IMPORTANT! I think that is something that a lot of people do not realize (I never did before).

On a side note, it is amazing how much sweeter REAL FOOD tastes when you are not eating the white stuff. I can taste a little sweetness in a lot of things that NEVER tasted sweet to me at all before... and this is only after a week.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #13  

Hurray! You're doing awesome! I can relate to being able to taste food more. Fruit is definitely sweeter and tastier now, and I also really notice salt. Things that used to not seem salty, like cheese, do now. It's really different.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:24 AM   #14  
Hoping for Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny
Hurray! You're doing awesome! I can relate to being able to taste food more. Fruit is definitely sweeter and tastier now, and I also really notice salt. Things that used to not seem salty, like cheese, do now. It's really different.
How are you doing now, Water?

I agree with you, marny! I used to munch on tortilla chips all the time, but after Lent (I made a promise to myself to not eat tortilla chips) I found they were too salty for my liking!
teatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:54 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatree
How are you doing now, Water?
It is amazing the difference that just a few days makes. I am on day 13 now and it really is much easier. I have been around all sorts of candy and such all week and it really has not even bothered me much ~ I am still sugar free! I do still find myself wanting a Coke every now and then, but not very often. I am finding that I am actually wanting vegetables and protein more now. The headaches have gone. It is true that if you just get over that hump it is much easier on the other side